All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

Post subject: Hell Duriel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 pm 

We're approaching Hell Duriel. The characters we have available are:

Summon druid
Fireclaws druid
WW Spear barb
Hammer/FoH din, with skills available to max another skill (prayer, conv, hmm?)
Bone necro with 1 pt golems/blades and spare skills
Blizzard sorc

The only char here that could deal damage to duriel would be the fire claws druid eh? But is there any chance of him tanking enough? Maybe with synergized holy bolts?
Or should we rather try to get a ridiculous amount of defense on the barbarian (how much is needed for this to really work?) and kill him with spears/foh?

Our last resort would probably be thorns cheese,

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Hell Duriel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:19 pm 

I'm assuming this is a duo? If so I'd probably go with FoH for DPS and the druid summoner for tanking/oak support. If the bear cooldown is too long, try spirit wolves. Alternatively getting some block and a little DR% on the paladin and he could tank it himself easily alongside the oak+summons.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:37 pm 

drrod wrote:
I'm assuming this is a duo? If so I'd probably go with FoH for DPS and the druid summoner for tanking/oak support. If the bear cooldown is too long, try spirit wolves. Alternatively getting some block and a little DR% on the paladin and he could tank it himself easily alongside the oak+summons.

We're 4 actually. The summon druid and barbarian will participate while the remaining 4 chars are split between a buddy and I. The paladin already has maxblock via emerald kiras. I have been thinking about going all mithril on a blue scepter to land that 4-6 foh one and stuffing that with diamonds.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:06 pm 

You should rock him pretty hard then. FoH may be a little slow but it'll do the trick no problem. I'd pass on the FC as werebear+stuns from Duriel sounds like a nightmare. Go FoH+druidsumm+barb+necro casting crep IMO. Blades/clay and the druid summons will tank just fine, as could the paladin(Duriel is such a pushover with block+some DR%). The barb will sadly be pretty useless(outside of BO anyway) unless he's really geared out well, which I doubt as you sound like you're running through the game untwinked.

Also I don't think going pierce is really necessary for FoH due to their demon bypass now. I'm not 100% sure how bypass works but I don't think passive magic pierce is accumulative on top of it. Meaning unless you have an absurd amount of magic pierce(more than enough to pierce beyond 0) you may as well just forgo it altogether(regarding demon boss fights anyway).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:31 pm 

drrod wrote:
[...]Also I don't think going pierce is really necessary for FoH due to their demon bypass now. I'm not 100% sure how bypass works but I don't think passive magic pierce is accumulative on top of it. Meaning unless you have an absurd amount of magic pierce(more than enough to pierce beyond 0) you may as well just forgo it altogether(regarding demon boss fights anyway).

It still bypasses? NM baal sure felt piss easy. I remember being able to solo hell baal with hammerdin in 1.21 so I figured they would have removed all that bypass by now. In that case I should probably HotO up the +3 FoH scepter I got.
Yes we're running untwinked, but I figure we could still get the barbarian to 70k+ defense and maxblock.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:44 pm 

It was changed to hammers bypassing undead, and FoH demons. I don't doubt the barb could tank, it's just that you've already got that area covered easily. You could go for amp+a big ol' spear if you wanna speed things up, as I doubt you need the extra safety from decrep anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:52 pm 

We may be attempting this without the summon druid. Messed around a bit with the barbarian, we're able to get him to 70k+ defense without a shrine, 20% cold sorb, maxblock and 10% DR. May be able to increase the DR% substantially via skulls in crafted or rare shield instead if necessary. Doable with a good amount of potions eh? We'll find out soon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:04 pm 

When bypass is involved and active enemy resist is plain set to zero no ifs or buts. -Enemy resist just plain doesn't count period when you got the appropriate bypass.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:50 pm 

Thorns+amp+sob was very effective before. Not sure if anything changed to lessen it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 pm 

Baerk wrote:
When bypass is involved and active enemy resist is plain set to zero no ifs or buts. -Enemy resist just plain doesn't count period when you got the appropriate bypass.

That's what I've heard before. It just seems weird that Hell Nihlathak and Samhain receive noticeably less damage than any demon boss when I have enough pierce to put them at 0 or less magic resistance. Is their hp really that much higher than say, Azmodan, Belial, Hell Diablo?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:57 pm 

I doubt nihla has any reason to be grossly higher HP. There's probably one other factor I've heard about which explains this difference. It's that bypass not only sets the enemy's resist to 0 but their %absorb as well. Since the bosses have %absorbs for all elements except poison/physical it means your effective magic damage is getting over doubled since you are ignoring the %absorbs as well (meaning no amount of pierce could possibly match the fact that bypass negates resists and %absorbs of enemy).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm 

Corr wrote:
Baerk wrote:

That's what I've heard before. It just seems weird that Hell Nihlathak and Samhain receive noticeably less damage than any demon boss when I have enough pierce to put them at 0 or less magic resistance. Is their hp really that much higher than say, Azmodan, Belial, Hell Diablo?

nihla and sammy arent demons so your damage is still getting reduced by absorbs, unlike the demons which bypass absorbs like baerk said

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:17 pm 

That may just be it. Thanks

Offline Profile