Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

Post subject: Breaking Elemental Resists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:53 am 

Can enemy resistances be broken with enough -X% gear? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need an aura or curse to actually break the immunity.

My lit nova sorc is using Knowledge (lvl 6 conviction) currently, but would I be better off with a Fathom with 3 uber yellows (total -55% lit resist)?

How about an elemental fire druid. Do I need an A2 merc with infinity to break immunes, or can I just use a Runemaster with 4 uber reds (total -40% fire resist)?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Elemental Resists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:01 am 
Game Server Host

only a curse or aura can break an immune, then -res equip comes into play. the level 6 conviction is -55 resist, same as what you get on a fathom. The only thing is, if you break an immune with that conviction it only works at 1/5 the strength so it becomes -11 res. If you were using fathom with -55 and had the immune broken by a merc/ nec with lr then the whole -55 on weapon is working for you. The holy auras runewords will break immunes (put them on a merc) up till act 4 hell. Once you get to act 4 hell you will need infinity on the merc to break the basic trash immunes. That will break them up till wsk in hell. After that even a maxed conviction wont break immunes alone so you will need help there.

Some immunes may not be broken by holy auras and conviction on infinity. It depends on the enemy. Uniques will be alot harder to break.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:03 am 

Only auras, lower resist or cloak of shadows can break immunities. A fire druid can use a a3 fire merc for his aura, a5/a1 with hand of justice or a2 with infinity to break some immunes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:11 am 

For my lit nova sorc, I've been using a barb merc with medusas as my terrible a2 mercs (infinity) never stayed alive long enough on the tundra to provide any help (I wonder if they are better now after the patch). What happens if I use the lower resist from Medusas, is fathom or Knowlege-conviction better now?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:14 am 

Oooh, I forgot about a3 mercs having holy fire! Its too bad that Hand of Justice is level 85 though... long way away.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:18 am 
Game Server Host

kit him out with res/absorb/dr% equip (a2 merc) either might merc or prayer merc. try to keep him out of danger as you level him, with summons etc.

fathom is better if the resistance is broken by another source. Even if Lr breaks the resistance, the conviction will still only work at 1/5 strength. Fathom is alot better overal

Offline Profile