Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Post subject: vengence
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:18 pm 

Since the damage is purely elemental, do you actually life steal with this ability?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: vengence
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 pm 

I'm pretty sure Veangence simply converts your physical damage to elemental, so you shouldn't be doing any physical damage, and hence no leach. Maybe your base physical dmg is still applied, but won't be enough to leach or IM yourself to death. Could someone else confirm this?

Veangence is a funny build... since you can't utilize much of the gear that is geared for elemental builds lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 pm 

only the base weapon dmg is applied, no skill ed

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:58 pm 

Thing is though that dex/str/gear ED% bonuses can be pretty significant themselves. A paladin that has 200+ str to be able to wear tyreal's will get 500% ED from str. Tack on 200% from steel rends and you got at least 700% off weapon ED% which is more than what most skills even give anyways. You'll still leech for usre but not massively so.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:48 pm 

Is it possible to use vengence while in were wolf form using the beast rw?!
Anyone know?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:19 pm 

Verb wrote:
Anyone know?
No, when shifted you cannot use Vengeance.

Baerk wrote:
Thing is though that dex/str/gear ED% bonuses can be pretty significant themselves. A paladin that has 200+ str to be able to wear tyreal's will get 500% ED from str. Tack on 200% from steel rends and you got at least 700% off weapon ED% which is more than what most skills even give anyways. You'll still leech for usre but not massively so.
Why would any one stat up enough to use Tyreal's and Rends on a Venger? A) they attack slow as fuck (max 7-8fpa) B) Since they deal primarily ele dmg they benefit more from caster gear. C)As with biters/claw droods (they att much faster btw) their leech rate blows unless you have max amp and an assload of leech you ain't leeching anyway, especially in hell.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:04 pm 

Verb wrote:
Anyone know?

Unless something was changed, yes - and it is highly recommended as it provides a nice life boost and fast attack speed. I had a 2h col sword beast on a paladin for a while that was rather fun.

And yes, you can also life leech using vengeance - although not in a significant amount. I found it most useful to keep zeal hotkeyed so that I could get a life boost if needed. Easiest way to test leech though is to mana leech as that is much more noticeable.

Incidentally, off weapon %Enhanced Damage mods are not included in the Veng dmg calculation, so if Rends have 200% ED on them, that will not add to the attack. For similar reasons strength %ED will also not add to the attack as it is considered off-wpn %ED as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm 

^ did not know that. Damn veangence is so mechanically strange

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
^ did not know that. Damn veangence is so mechanically strange

Indeed.
I just re-read what I wrote and realized I left an error in there. I thought it was kind of weird that off wpn %ED wasn't added, but str was so I double checked that and they both do not apply which makes a lot more sense. Post has been updated.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:45 pm 

then what is applied? Only the base dmg/ed% from weapon and ED% from auras?? I thought I understood how veangence worked til you posted that lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
then what is applied? Only the base dmg/ed% from weapon and ED% from auras?? I thought I understood how veangence worked til you posted that lol

Only weapon damage:
- anything that adds +min/max
- %Enhanced damage that is listed on the weapon

Skill based %ED is also considered off wpn dmg (such as might aura for example)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 am 

If vengeance's off weapon ED is actually working like that then it's leech situation is hurting a whole lot more I thought...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:28 am 

Verb wrote:
Since the damage is purely elemental, do you actually life steal with this ability?

Vengeance does not convert all of your damage into elemental damage, so you can life steal on the physical damage of your weapons.

That being said, a good chunk of enemies (Undead, a lot of bosses) do not allow for life/mana stealing so its largely irrelevant in a lot of cases where it counts.

For example, I am currently having trouble with Szark, who is Stone Skin and no mana leech (but she has mana burn which makes her more difficult when you do have mana to use). So I guess I'll have to move ahead and come back to her or try and find a long-range attacker to back me up with her. I had zero trouble getting to her with Conviction and Vengeance working alongside of mana leech from a Manald Heal (this is all Normal BTW), but when I got to her, it got tedious. Especially with all those damn bone cages always blocking me.

Offline Profile