Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

Post subject: Sin Tank
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm 

I've decided to give this a shot since it is different and seems fun.

What show I look to do in terms of point distribution?

Any Strategies?

What should my endgame stats/gear look like?

I'm playing with a fire sorc, psn javazon and possibly a trapper. I basically want to stay alive and take a beating while those three can kill. Is a sin tank viable for this or try something else?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Sin Tank
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:20 pm 

Assassin tanks are extremely viable and have zero problems tanking anything in the game outside of post-game bosses. However, based on your party, it may not be the best of ideas. Assassins (Like Paladins) have no inherent lifebuff. Without at least Battle Orders or Oak Sage, you're going to run into difficulties. In general, your party should have at least one party life buff floating around whether it be Battle Orders or Oak Sage. It's not 100% necessary to have them, but the game definitely is much harder without them.

That being said, if you're going to be tanking, you should probably roll a melee build. The better tank builds for an Assassin are Dragon Claw and Dragon Tail. Both have their advantages, Dragon Tail being a very solid trash-killing skill while Dragon Claw is stronger in a single target environment. Dragon Claw can also gear 100% for melee, where as Dragon Tail needs Fire Pierce for full effectiveness.

As far as stat distribution it's fairly simple. Find out the highest strength item you'll be using and plan for it. I went high strength on my Dragon Claw sin this ladder, and was fairly happy with the results. Steelrends / Shadow Dancers / Worldstone Granite is a pretty hard Glove/Boot/Belt combo to give up now.
Otherwise, you can go low strength on an Assassin quite easily as their strongest weapon only requires 100 Strength to equip. As far as Dexterity goes, I find ~30 to be good enough to hit the 100 required.
The rest obviously goes into Vitality.

Gearing is mainly preference. I put high priority on having Curse Immunity, as I feel it's the one thing that melee Assassins have over all other melee classes. Curse Immunity is obtained with a high enough % Holy Craft armor, a high level Fade, and a source of Redemption Aura. From there, it's normal melee gear, as much DR/Life/AR/Defense/Leech as you can muster. (And Fire Pierce, if rolling a Dragon Tail build)

Personally though, I would roll a Barbarian or a Druid if your party is set as Poison Zon / Fire Sorc / Trapper. A life buff would ease the strain on the entire party and a Sword + Board barbarian should have no problem tanking up to A5 Hell. Trying to play a tank Assassin with zero life buffs can be quite frustrating.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm 

Shouldnt you be able to achieve CI without the need of holy armor? IIRC fade gets to 75 CI at like lvl 50 or so... with which combined with a source of redemption is the 100% you need.

edit: or maybe its lvl 60, which would require end game gear/the fade prebuff unique armor and boots, etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 pm 
Game Server Host

needs level 60 for 75% elemental and curse resist. I dont think thats possible without severely gimping your melee setup.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the great post Abominae, I'm gonna level a barb instead and try the sin later down the road.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
needs level 60 for 75% elemental and curse resist. I dont think thats possible without severely gimping your melee setup.

Well since the duration is long, cant you just prebuff it and then switch out to melee gear? Im sure fade duration at high levels is at least 8 minutes long.

For non end game though holy armor is definitely needed for the CI since you wont reach level 60 fade until you get things like shards/charms/prebuff specific gear.

Side topic: how long are curse durations in hell though? Maybe 100% curse reduction isnt necessary then (unless you are playing HC, whenever ive played a sin on HC i always went for CI as soon as possible). 90%+ is easy to achieve (65 CI on lvl 20 fade, 25 on redemption... theres you 90 already), and so long as the curses arent insanely long, 90% + will reduce them to 5-10 seconds a pop, easily something you can deal with.

Offline Profile