Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

Post subject: Druid Tank
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:03 pm 

I'm consider bringing up an actual tank to help my group, I'm currently tanking with a Frenzy barb but I'm hitting a wall. I've always played druids in vanilla and I was considering making a Bear tank.

What is the viability of Werebear tanking? Skills to max? Suggestions?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Druid Tank
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm 

Lots of life, damage, attack speed, and life leech. That's what they can do. I think bear suffers from slow block speeds and maybe even reduced block chance...in any case I think you will want to go 2 handed with them.

Your choice of maxing Oak or Heart of Wolverine... both have their positives/negatives (oak sage provides massive life, but life alone isnt a substantial tanking stat; HOW is more melee oriented so may not be beneficial to casters as much as melee, but does provide dmg/def and DR%).

You will want to max lycanthropy definitely.

Your weapon needs a lot of attack speed... shifting gets its attack speed from weapon alone (other sources of ias work but they are severely diminished). So for your weapon you want as much ias as possible without gimping the weapon damage too much. A popular selection here is an eth tomb reaver unique weapon with a zod (indestructible) and 2 ether stones (top tier amethyst gem...30ias and 300 attack rating for each one). Other pretty good ones are the reapers toll, executioners justice, or crafts/rares with high ias mods and lots of sockets.

Your charms should be something like attack rating, life, resists. Usually resists are lacking on characters without shields, so just be mindful of these. Attack rating and life for obvious reasons of course.

I dont play shift druids much so someone else might be better equipped for this.

Last edited by muleofal on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:22 pm 

I wouldn't mind remaking my barb into a pure tank, I was just considering fun factor here.

What to pure tank barbs look like toward end game?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm 

Block isn't effected by Bear.. though they have horrid FHR. If you want a pure tank a sin or pally may be better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 pm 

According to the skill hidden bonuses sticky, bear suffers from -50% block chance.

Youre right about the fhr though...its real shitty.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 pm 

Okay, So It's safe to say druid tanking is a bad idea.

What makes Sins the best then?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm 

Sins and pallies have great damage mitigation and support skills that help them tank really easily. Neither of them have life buffs but their other skills make up for it.

Sins - fade is the best skill buff in the game... dr%, resistance, and curse reduction. they also have claw block, burst of speed (speed is a great tool for tanking), and cloak of shadows. Also most of their end game gear has pretty small str and dext requirements.

Pallies - holy shield lets you attain max block pretty easily, great defense, great gear choices for tanking (dragonscale unique pally shield), support auras that help for different situations.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:16 pm 

muleofal wrote:
According to the skill hidden bonuses sticky, bear suffers from -50% block chance.

Youre right about the fhr though...its real shitty.

Check the new website. From what Baerk told me it was wrong or was changed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:34 pm 

Also it should be noted that I very recently tested the actual block chance on werebear on this current patch. They definitely do not suffer a block chance penalty currently. The only thing against bear block wise when compared to werewolf is that not only it has much worse hit recovery speed it also has a much slower base blocking speed (meaning even with a lot FBR it's still going to be slower than a wolf with some FBR).

Offline Profile