Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

Post subject: Lightning Sorc Skills
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 am 

I didn't want to necro the thread back on page 4 (last post 9-1).

I played a cookie-cutter lightning (not chain-light) sorc in closed battle.net 1.12 and was thinking of porting my build over here. I also know there's been a change to the energy > mana conversion. That being said, here's my skill pitch.

Main Skills (in maxing order and not skill aquisition) *EDITED*
20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning
20 Chain Lightning
20 Lightning Mastery

1 Warmth
1 TK
1 Energy Shield
1 Teleport - Which puts me at 84 points, or level...70ish

Stats: Probably ~30 energy and whatever amount of strength I need (with bonuses) to wear whatever I'll be getting. Rest dex ...err vit for the rest.

I guess this would be a pain to do as a first char with no gear (I tried doing lvl 1 charged bolt up to level 2 and even the first unique was annoying with a +2 charged staff).

Mmm, should I pick up enchant too? There's enough skills left over for me to get it.

Random Question: there isn't a stat resetter is there? Didn't see if in the mod notes.

2nd Edit: One extra skill I 'can' max, what would you suggest?

Last edited by Sumimi on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Sorc Skills
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:17 am 

Sumimi wrote:
I guess this would be a pain to do as a first char with no gear (I tried doing lvl 1 charged bolt up to level 2 and even the first unique was annoying with a +2 charged staff).

Don't be shy about asking for gear in the trading forum even if you don't have anything to trade for. Gear falls like rain later in the game and most people (myself included) are more than happy to give you low level stuff to help you move forward. Especially after doing a few quests with the person, people are generally pretty happy to gear you up if you have been a solid teammate.

Sumimi wrote:
Random Question: there isn't a stat resetter is there? Didn't see if in the mod notes.

Nope.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 am 

I'll keep that in mind, many thanks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am 
Game Server Host

TK sorc: 20 charged bolt, 20 TK, 20 Energy Shield, 20 Light Mastery, 20 warmth and 1 frozen armour
Chain Light Sorc: 20 Charged Bolt, 20 Lightning, 20, Chain Lightning, 20 TK, 20 Warmth, 1 Energy shield

The only time you wanna max energy shield is if you are doing a TK sorc even with 1 point in my old sorcs es it was absorbing 95% so the added points would be a waste unless i was synergising telekenisis, in that case I would have maxed charged botl as a trash clearing skill. With maxed warmth you will recover mana seriously, seriously fast, especialy as you should have 10k mana + on a TK sorc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm 

And charged bolt might be the most powerful early game skill there is along with teeth.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:28 pm 

I was hoping on making a Lightning sorc over a chain light though, mainly cuz it strikes through a group of monsters (and I hear hordes are common) instead of jumping 13-15 times.

Ah wait. Read the excel file wrong, changing skill list!

Quote:
Chain Light Sorc: 20 Charged Bolt, 20 Lightning, 20, Chain Lightning, 20 TK, 20 Warmth, 1 Energy shield

No light mastery? :o

Also if I recall, FHR was required to cast lightnings faster with FCR?
Can't hurt to have both *shrug*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:50 pm 

FHR should have nothing to do with FCR. The breaks for lightning and chain lightning are just different from other skills (at least in vanilla).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 pm 

That's what I forgot, think there was a text file for that somewhere...I'll look for it when I get home.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:59 pm 
Game Server Host

sry i meant no warmth on that one, light mastery for the chain light with 1 in warmth. if you are making a lightning sorc you want to max charged bolt. any more than 1 in energy shield is a waste unless you use it to synergise your attack. (telekenisis).

mixing 2 light builds will make your spells underpowered for late game and you`ll wish you had went with one or the other.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 pm 

Lightning needed increased attack speed, but it was pre-1.10 I believe.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:31 pm 

So, dropping TK (I changed this before actually)
20 Charged Bolt
20 Lightning
20 Chain Lightning
20 Lightning Mastery

1 Warmth
1 TK
1 Energy Shield
1 Teleport - Which puts me at 84 points, or level...70ish

Get Enchant and maybe max Warmth?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:04 pm 
Game Server Host

if you are gonna use energy shield you should max tk. every hard point in tk means your energy shield loses 0.0625 less mana for every 1 damage absorbed.

Eg. no points in tk, you take a 1k hit with a 50% absorb energy shield. you lose 2 mana for every 1 absorbed with none in tk so you lose 1k mana and 500 life. with 16 hard points in tk the ratio is 1 mana lost for every 1 damage absorbed. so from the same 1k hit, you just halved the ammount of mana you lose, 500 life and 500 mana. with maxed tk you lose 0.75 mana for every 1 damage it absorbs, so from your 1k hit, you would lose 500 life and 375 mana.

just as an added point. no matter how much mana you have, if you use insight on your merc and have 1 in warmth you will recover a full bulb in just over 10 seconds, (around 12-13) the regeneration works on the full bulb size not by the number, so no matter how much mana you have it will take 12 secs to fill it. knowing this you can go for say 12k mana (not to hard) and be recovering 1k mana per second. If you only have 1.2k mana you will only be recovering 100 mana per sec. coupled in with prayer from an act 2 merc for double heal its a winning combination. Energy shield is not worth spending points in unless you are making a TK sorc though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:49 pm 

Sumimi wrote:
That's what I forgot, think there was a text file for that somewhere...I'll look for it when I get home.

Someone say if this was changed, but this will save you time if nothing has changed in this regard.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 0&sid=3000

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 pm 

That leaves even more open skill points, hmm.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:18 am 

You could max frozen armor maybe, if you have nothing else to spend skill points on.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:43 am 
Game Server Host

I don't see another 20 points, 80 for your attack skills, cb, lightnigh, chain light and mastery. If your gonna use energy shield you need to max tk or at least put 16 points in it for a 1:1 ratio, otherwise you will be constantly at 0 mana. If you dont want energy shield then dont max tk, max frozen armour instead.

I would personaly do,
20 changed bolt
20 light
20 chain light
20 mastery
20 tk
1 in teleport, energy shield and frozen armour and remaining points to warmth

If you dont want energy shield then lose the tk and max frozen armour instead, dont put 1 in energy shield if your not gonna invest in tk though

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:07 pm 

Judging by how hard everything is (I'm only level 17 and getting my ass handed to me if I don't have pots, have rogue merc with 'ok' gear).

I'll probably end up taking your path, thanks ^^

Is there a reason why people take frozen armor over shiver armor? I don't remember the freeze duration lasting longer than a second on hell difficulty.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:13 pm 

iirc shiver armour does dmg and chills... whilst frozen armour freezes... a slow monster can still hit you, a frozen one cannot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:16 pm 

FArmor has a large defence boost.

Most skills (probably all I think) in HU are changed either drastically or slightly from their Vanilla D2 coutnerparts. If you don't want to use a character editor to find out what skills are like beyond level 1, then you can use the "-act5" argument in the shortcut that starts hell unleashed to create new characters that start as lvl 33. You won't be able to play with the lvl 36 skills, but you'll at least be better aquainted with the lower level skills.

In the batch file that starts HU Guard and Hell Unleashed, change the following line:
To : "Diablo II.exe" -direct -txt -act5

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 am 

i think lightning differed on the fcr part due to it needing around 164 fcr to hit its fcr bp, it was different from the rest, although im not entirely sure.

Lifes what you make it, so make it how you want to live it, if your life isnt what you wanted, then maybe you should change it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 pm 

if your going the 20 tk // 1 es route i dont see any point of putting many stat points into vita... i would put them into energy, as it as a damage reduction of sorts.. being its takes less mana per point of life, and the benefit to sorcs for energy is WAY more beneficial than per point of vita..

of course poison is always still an issue..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:27 pm 
Game Server Host

as is blood mana, you can get around 2k life and 7k mana unbuffed by level 80ish without to much trouble, that translates to about 9-10k mana and 7-8k life with bo and oak in your team too. more than enough. The problem I always seen with going all energy is if you get mana burned you are fucked. y light sorc at the min is at the 7k mana 2k life mark at level 81, thats with around 120 in energy and the rest in vita. remember all caster items give a nice mana boost, soj's give massive mana gain alone.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 am 

i made my a pure vita build with only 5 points into energy

my unbuffed stats are 3.4k/3.7k
buffed are 10.5k/5.2k

this is at lvl 84
i like to build it this way, because like kev said, mana burn and ur fucked, this way, i still get the benifits of a 5k mana orb along with teh 10k life just incase a random mana burner happens to wack me.

But like most ppl will tell you, its your char, try what you think is good and see how it works for you.
Trail and error is always good way to figure out what not to do ^.^

Lifes what you make it, so make it how you want to live it, if your life isnt what you wanted, then maybe you should change it.

Offline Profile