Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

Post subject: Blizzard Sorc advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 pm 

hi everyone=)

myself and a couple friends recently started playing on this mod and we decided that we like it very much, not to mention people are very nice and we've gotten lots of help.

I rerolled out of wind druid into sorc (mainly because I enjoy sorc more) and I was hoping i could get some guidance on how to build it.

I'm into the idea of using an act3 merc, right now I'm using a poison one (i just got to act3 normal) but I'm not sure if it's the best choice, and also I'm not sure how to gear it.

Also i'm trying to decide between Tk or frozen armor as my last skill to max, tk for energy shield synergy.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me in game, the reason I decided to post was because I noticed how helpful people were in game I figured I'd for sure find someone who'd take the time to explains stuff to me.

Also, in your response if you have the patience to make it detailed I'd appreciate it, I'm pretty anal on min/maxing so even the more minute details comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again:)

So tl;dr

For a blizzard sorc, what would you recommend as a merc and why?
can act 3 merc work?
if it can, which one and how would i gear it (not just end game gear but progressively... )

what are your opinions on warmth/es/tk combo with more points into energy for a blizz sorc... and how valuable is a higher rank of frozen armor? Which would you recommend.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Blizzard Sorc advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:05 pm 

Standard choice for Sorcs tend to be Prayer A2 mercs or (recovery). You can equip them with infinity later on but early on should use insight on them. The Meditation aura on insight is pretty valuable for sorcs.. which are very mana intense builds. An a3 does not provide any real usefulness for a sorcerer. It's not going to take a lot of hits and live. A5 would work also I suppose.. but probably a lot less used. You tele a lot on a sorc and having the A2 merc to take a melee hit or two can mean life or death.. especially in Areas like Tundra.

As far as gearing the A2 merc.. well early on your main focus should be resists and survival. I'm not going to compile a list of progressive gear but you should be able to figure it out.. It's pretty simple. Throw a Insight wep on him, max his res and give him a decent amount of leech. You don't have to gear them out perfectly because they will never really tank under a sorc that great due to no Oak or Bo.

I don't understand your question regarding eS/tk/warmth. Blizzard is a 80 pt build.. you only have 20 left over. They should go into Frozen Armor. You can hit pretty decent defense and compiled with a decent block later on in the game.. that helps a lot with survival.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm 

yeah, the first sorc i ever played I used act2 merc and a friend gave me insight (i was a noob) and i've been told before it's good. i was *hoping* to make use of the act3 mercs since i find it more fun/interesting and they die alot less in trash. Though I guess that would be rectified by giving my act2 merc decent gear.

The other idea i had was to use act5 and make it super tank, like ONLY for tanking. But im not sure if that would work, i mean could they ever become tanky enough to stay alive against a boss at my the same level?

Anyways, thanks for your post. I'll wait and see if other people have comments but based on what you've said i'm starting to collect gear for act 2 merc=(.

Why is it the stuff the seems fun is never effective. qq

side note i just realized, one of the people in my group is making a healer paladin, don't they run around with meditation, also what about a crafted amulet for meditation?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:19 am 

I'd go with a A2 or A5. Slap a Ice javelin on a A2(or A5 with a throwing axe) with a decent shield and he'll tank just fine, especially having teleport to get him outta sticky situations.

Mercenaries can survive most boss fights, excluding act bosses or the endgame optional ones. Max resists, high DR%, and life buffs are essential to a good tank merc. Shift+juv and the above mentioned gear/skill setups and you'll be able to tank most sub bosses.

As for the last skill points, I'd dump the rest into TK and work towards a decent mana pool if more defensively is your style. Personally I dump the rest into frozen orb for the icebolt synergy. FA isn't a half bad choice, but keep in mind most sorcs have low base defense anyway so a high level FA isn't going to be a huge difference, especially considering getting hit by melee attacks while using a sorc just doesn't happen that often.

Offline Profile