Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

Post subject: The Frostbite Druid
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:34 am 
Game Server Host

This is an unfinished build and I have raided his charms so his life etc is lower than it should be. He deals out alot of damage extremely quickly. If my calculations are right he is doing 12.5 attacks a second (alot). No skill charms on him at all.

Trying to find a mix of passive pierce and speed/physical damage can be a pain. His cold damage will be low untill mid/late game. As he is melee he needed his lifebuff skills maxed asap. I mainly used fast weapons and loaded up on crushing blow for bosses. Tancreds is ideal with 2 20 ias jewels in the weapon for early game.

weapon wise: I opted for speed on this build from start to finish. Tancreds early game, crafted war clubs mid game and naj's staff with amethysts, and finally Griswolds weapon with 5 Ether stones for that 2 frame attack.
I never strayed below 120%ias on a weapon. You will want a physical and elemental setup with you at all times. For highly physical resistant bosses such as Tyrael or Sszak you will want as much passive pierce as possible.
Chances are there will be items that you never change. eg. +3 shapeshift amu with res/str/life etc. Ravenlore if you're lucky, Headhunters Glory shield etc.

Elemental Setup Choices:
2 eye of frost rings
Forsaken Moon boots
Templars faceted
Topaz craft gloves
Topaz craft belts
Waterwalk boots
Snowclash belt
Anything with +skills (if you can't find anything better)
All of that works great throughout the game, the crafts are very useful for most of the game as part of your elemental equip. You can always mix and match ele setup and melee setup and get plenty of Dr% on your armour etc while rings/belt/boots/gloves are devoted to -res. its really up to you.

Physical Setup Choices:
There are a variety of choices here from start to finish.
Boots:Goblin Toe and Gore Riders are the main ones when dealing with a cold immune/resistant boss
Gloves:Blood Crafts, Deaths combo early game, Venom Grip, Steelrend.
Armour Duress runeword, Rattlecage, Shaftstop, Boneflesh, Silks Tyraels, etc. etc.
Helms:any of the druid helms work great as part of a melee and elemental setup, Orphans for the crushing blow if needed.

Sets:Tancreds, Hwanins, Orphans, Najs, Soulmancers gloves/belt/boots (not full as druid helms are better), Sazabis and griswolds weapon.

Jewelery:Eyes of frost or blood craft rings, before eyes of frost are available, rare druid rings with res/ar/life/str etc. blood craft ring with druid skills is the perfect choice if you get lucky.

Mercinary:I opted for an act 3 cold merc for 2 reasons.
1: Act1 phys mercs are way to common and im not much of a fan of them really.
2: Holy freeze aura will break immunes up till act 3 hell. (not all immunes but the majority)
they also get really powerfull later on. To start with I used angelic set + hsarus set, the enormous life replenish on angelic set kept him alive through most things and helped level him untill he was doing some good damage. I changed to a Nightmare merc as soon as I could for the Blizzard damage, it's fantastic later on. Once you get him to a decent level, load him up with -res equip and as much fcr as you can get. He will be doing alot of your trash killing now.
Ps. when using any item with life replenish on a merc, as soon as the merc levels you must unequip the replenish items and then re-equip them. If you don't the replenish wont work for some reason and its going to waste. Don't forget this, especialy with an act 3 merc as this will be his main life line early/mid game.

Skill wise:
20 lycanthropy
20 oak
20 frostbite
20 Hurricane
20 cyclone armour
1 werewolf, feral rage, fireclaws, werebear, maul, HoW and SoB, poisonvine, carrion vine, arctic blast, twister and tornado

Max oak and lycanthropy first. 1 in pre reqs and other 1 pointers, then frostbite and hurricane. Frostbite if you need ar, Hurricane if you need a bigger damage boost. spread them over both at once for good all round effect.

Stat wise:
60-70 str so you don't have a hard time equiping
10 base dex
10 base energy
Rest in Vitality

Remember to charge up maul and feral when attacking, your phys damage is not high but it is very very fast. As long as feral and maul is charged you should be able to leech fine.

With griswolds weap and ether stones in it, the attack speed is amazing. makes short work of trash, just get close and they are dead instantly. Beware laggy bosses counters. Maggot queen especialy, attack her at full speed and the game just freezes and drops. drop your speed here and go for slow attacks with more pierce. (a weapon with saphires). your ar will be seriously high with Ether stones in griswolds caddy.

fantastic fun later on, quite a slow starter though,

Edit: Heres a demo of the speed he is attacking at. makes good use of those soulshards. (Hell Mode btw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKhB1lnMfmE
Watch in HQ

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: The Frostbite Druid
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:59 pm 

I was reading up on runewords
and one amazing one i saw was this

Shadow
2 Socket:
Assassin Claws
Knives
Ith + Shael
+80% Increased Attack Speed
+40% Increased Run Speed
Ignore Target's Defense
+60% Faster Hit Recovery
25% Chance of Open Wounds
50% Chance of Deadly Strike
+1 to Cloak of Shadows (OSKILL)
+12 to Maximum Damage

The ias, run, ignore targ def, fhr, open wounds are all amazing
this would be great for early/mid game
Im wondering if frostbite is any better/worse than fireclaws

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:25 pm 

Nice read and great to see Gris caddy in action. Thanks for posting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 pm 

So is that base dex for end game? cause that's pretty low for a melee character. I can only assume gear gives you all the dex you need.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 pm 
Game Server Host

thats with 10 base dex. Ar isnt much of a problem as most of your weapons will have mass amethysts in so your ar will be plenty high

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:28 pm 

What shield would you recommend?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:34 pm 

I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere, but can anyone list or link the IAS bps for frostbite?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:53 pm 

x3ro33 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere, but can anyone list or link the IAS bps for frostbite?

depends entirely on the weapon. More info here: http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=2917

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:03 pm 

Answers all my questions, much obliged.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:19 am 

http://home.comcast.net/~thedragoon/wer ... anced.html

Great shapeshifting speed calculator there. Remember fclaws/fbite use hunger breakpoints.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 am 
Game Server Host

just to add to the question about dex. There is another reason for the low dexterity that I forgot to mention. As you will be using a 1 handed fast weapon and a shield you want your block to be as low as is possible. If you are blocking, you are blocking slowly (bear is a terrible blocker) and could land alot of hits in that time. Since the wepons will have amethysys in it your AR can be pretty high without much of an investment in dexterity.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 am 

would you like to give an example of a secondary weapon as griss caddy would be a bad idea until it gets fixed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:14 am 

nebs wrote:
would you like to give an example of a secondary weapon as griss caddy would be a bad idea until it gets fixed.

Crafted fast weapon with 4xAmethysts?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:22 pm 

my frostbiter sucks D:, level 49 atm, i maxed oak and lycan first, using full tancreds, deaths belt+gloves, act 3 poison merc with full hserus and full angelic. My dps is really low, like 200-1100 with feral and mual chagred D: lol. oh wells.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:02 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh your damage will be low untill the 60's and even into the 70's, your oak will help everyone out alot though and for bosses a little crushing blow will go a long way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:33 am 

ah wells.

currently i have about 5.3k hp

when should i ditch tancreds? (am worried to switch out items otherwise i'll break set bonuses D: ), i have a swordguard i can switch my tancerds wep for @ 62.

also my gloves/belt need changing D: lol, (deaths belt gloves) any ideas wot i should be looking for?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:55 am 
Game Server Host

string of ears and blood craft gloves are good. waterwalk boots etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:47 pm 

I didnt think you used 1H weapons with a druid?

But boy that attack speed is simply funny :p

nice guide dude!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:29 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh the damage aint based of the weapon since its all cold damage added to the attack.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm 

Ahh fair play! Looks like a fun build, I'm gonna pump IAS on my maul Druid after seeing that :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 pm 

I'd like to know what is the benefit of putting 1 point to HoW and SoB respectively. I put 1 point to HoW yesterday and found that 2 spirits can't coexist to help me.

Also, how many life leech % is enough for werebear? My frostbite druid is level 73 and his life is around 9k with oak. I have some life leech items and always use feral rage in battles but I still can't leech much. When facing bosses, my life keeps dropping very fast even with help of life leech and potons. Could you give me some suggestions?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 pm 

d2_fan wrote:
I'd like to know what is the benefit of putting 1 point to HoW and SoB respectively. I put 1 point to HoW yesterday and found that 2 spirits can't coexist to help me.

It is for when you find yourself in a party, or in an area where you don't need the life buff.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:03 pm 

d2_fan wrote:
Also, how many life leech % is enough for werebear?
Leech is based on your physical damage. A FrostBiter doesn't do much physical damage, and FeralRage charges don't carry %EDamage.

For trash, CarrionVine is quite effective for returning life to you. You could also remove all your +%Life buffs (mainly Oak and wereform) and drink a Healing potion (usually 1 or 2 will refill you), and then re-apply your life buffs. For Bosses, just bring a cube full of Juvs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 pm 

Brevan wrote:
You could also remove all your +%Life buffs (mainly Oak and wereform) and drink a Healing potion (usually 1 or 2 will refill you), and then re-apply your life buffs. For Bosses, just bring a cube full of Juvs.

I remember this is what you've ever recommanded me to do. It's effective if I am not in danger. It seems a bit risky when I do that in front of bosses especially act bosses. But as you said I have no choice but carry heaps of rejuvs to kill bosses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 am 
Game Server Host

unshifting on bosses isn't too much of a problem once you get used to it. I was doing that ALOT the other day with a friend of mine, I would unshift to cast bo and amp (drink a red pot right after unshifting, then cast amp and bo, then reshift). since we are in a party of 2 with no necro or barb. Its not so bad, though rather uneffective if you are the only tank in the party. If you have a pally, assasin, barb or another druid with you, they can easily take over for you for 10 secs or so while you heal if needs be. Most bosses don't need to be tanked directly anyway (diablo just runs around ragardless of the tank) and baal tends to teleport all over the place. If you spam 1 point dire wolves while you unshift, thats usualy enough though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:35 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
I would unshift to cast bo and amp (drink a red pot right after unshifting, then cast amp and bo, then reshift). since we are in a party of 2 with no necro or barb.

What item do you use so that you can cast amp? Atma?

Also, can I leech more (my %stolen is 8-9%) via amp as monsters amped get hurt more from phy damage?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:03 am 
Game Server Host

you leech more when an enemy is amped yeh. I use a wand from act 1 normal akara with 22 charges of level 1 amp

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:31 pm 

Thanks for answering. Could you tell me what items including charms on your screenshots your druid use? My base strength is 60 and my items boost my druid strength to 111 then I find that it's hard for me to boost strength with items. I am going to use craft ettin axe or Aldur's weapon but both the strength requirements are too high for me. I still have 65 stat points but I don't want to waste them on strength.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:10 pm 
Game Server Host

amethysts in the helm will see you through until you get items with more str on them. He was using, gris caddy with 5 ether stones, faceted templars, faceted ravenlore, 2 eyes of frost or 2 blood rings (depending on the boss) forsaken moon boots or gores (depending on the boss) mancers gloves and belt or Worldstone granite belt (depending on the boss. Head hunters glory shield or spirit ward (you get the idea)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 am 

Mancers gloves giving 50 str and ravenlore are very nice.

I am using jalal. I am still hesitating if I should add amethysts or diamonds in it as my mdr is low at the moment, and my ele absorb items are only eyes of frost and hellmouth. Just worry my druid is not tough enough.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:38 am 
Game Server Host

try using nos coil for the str, leech and absorbs. its a nice belt for any melee.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 pm 

DOD, u'r ss-ing into a bear, aren't u?
wudn't u suffer from the heavy -50% block rate penalty?
does it matter actually?

how do u compare bear vs wolf? how do u choose b/w them?

1 last qu, how do u compare 1h + shield vs 2h on a fb druid?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:28 pm 
Game Server Host

all damage is from the skill so a 1 handed fast weapon with a shield for resists and Dr% is a no brainer. I don't want to block in bear form at all as that takes time. The less I block, the more times I attack per second. I use bear because you can't reach 2fpa is wolf form.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:22 pm 

aren't wolf supposed to hv faster atk speed?
so end up , bear 'd be faster?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 am 
Game Server Host

wolfs final breakpoints are a little higher than a bears (since the wolf skill have ias on it) however, in comparison to weapon IAS it is very little though

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:00 am 

Yes wolf are supposed to be faster, and the "traditional" wolf attacks (feral rage & fury) are faster than bear attacks (maul & shockwave), but you can't reach 2 fpa with frostbite in wolf form but bear can

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:05 am 

if i hv a team w/ full oak
then i hv 20 pts left
wud going werebear be wise?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:31 am 
Game Server Host

up to you, you could max bear but it will only really help your def. You would be better maxing grizzly as it makes an awesome tank. (make sure you 1 point SoB)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:18 am 

As to weapons...

Yes gris caddy is really fast and it seems cool to be so fast.

But, eth reaver is 3fpa and 5x the physical damage (even more to undead with the +400% to undead bonus).

Since you aren't getting any block, all the shield gives you is;

medusa - chance of LR (barely ever triggers sadly), res, cbf
hhg - res, +2, some sockets, +mana and life per kill (who cares)
ward - fade, res, absorb (meh, don't really need this stuff)

Eth reaver - 5x physical dmg, no repairs, undead bonus, reanimate walkers, 50% res all, +1 skills, deadly strike

gris caddy+shield - maybe another +1 skills, 1-3 sockets, maybe some absorb, crap physical damage, constant repairs (especially since you're hitting so bloody fast)

Basically the physical damage of eth reaver blows gris caddy out of the water. Never having to repair is just gravy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 am 
Game Server Host

The main boost with a shield is DR%. 3 soul skulls in a ward gives you 36%DR, then you have the level 5 fade to go along with it. The fade don't seem like much when you have max res, but when you switch to time staff its nice to have the extra res from fade. Lower phys damage means IM has no real effect. You leech more with an eth reaver but carion vine pretty much covers you for life replenish.

If you use a ward you are only 10%dr from maxed, meaning you are free to use faceted templars and faceted ravenlore if you use a WSG belt. all that extra pierce is > some extra phys damage that you cant pierce yourself very well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:14 am 

w/ aldur full set
it gives additional 33 ias,
for +60 (wep) and 4 uber purple (120) = 180% ias
does the +33ias gives me 2 frame afterwards?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm 

I don't think the set bonus counts to weapon IAS so aldurs is limited to 3fpa.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:50 pm 
Game Server Host

Yeh, if its a full/partial set bonus (not an item bonus) it wont count.

Offline Profile