Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

Post subject: For two-person play...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 am 

What are some good recommended character setups that are fun? I've tried browsing the forums, but there's lots of debate and outdated posts that I can't be sure I can rely on. I'm willing to hear the opinions of others, whatever they may be -- but try not to turn this into a debate thread!

Here's the scoop, my friend and I are going to be playing through this, just the two of us, and we'd like character builds that aren't totally cheesy (From what I've read, some poison builds fit this bill?), but we don't want to get to.. say, hell, act 3, and go "Welp, we can't get any farther, that was fun."

Personally I'd like to play some sort of assassin, and was looking at maybe traps, phoenix, or maybe blades. My friend honestly has no idea what he'd like to play. Either way, we're both open to input! We're not looking to become min/max superstars at this mod, but we'd like to be able to grind and fight our way through Hell and say "Phew, that was fun!"

Our usual method in the past (months and months ago) for boss fighting was usually frantically running potions back and forth while we kept the boss 'tagged' -- Normal Meph took us most of the night, IIRC. LOL.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: For two-person play...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 pm 

you're going to have trouble getting to hell with a 2 man team, especially if you are ignoring powerhouse builds...

If you are both good players, a blaze sorc and a WC barb can be a SWEET team. Takes great teamwork though. This is also a very fun and abnormal 2 man team. I ran through normal with this team and it was fun as hell (difficult at times though).

I think one of the best 2 man teams though is a rabies druid and a summon necro with max LR. I don't think an explanation is needed here.

Through normal and nightmare, you can pretty much do any build though and make it work. My roommate is a frenzy barb and we have been able to 2man everything in normal with me being a spearzon, enchantress, healer pali, fire druid, bone nec, etc. I kept passing him and raising a new char to his level, then continuing to 2man with that new team.

Once in Hell things change very quickly... basically you just don't want any physical dmg doers since you won't be able to hurt bosses without max amp

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
If you are both good players, a blaze sorc and a WC barb can be a SWEET team. Takes great teamwork though. This is also a very fun and abnormal 2 man team. I ran through normal with this team and it was fun as hell (difficult at times though).

That sounds pretty fun! We've got fantastic teamwork -- we've been gaming together for years, and we use Ventrilo for chatting. A WC barb? Really? Hmm.. And blaze! That's certainly unique, but does sound fun.

slappyNuts wrote:
I think one of the best 2 man teams though is a rabies druid and a summon necro with max LR. I don't think an explanation is needed here.

Wouldn't max LR deal with some immunities?

slappyNuts wrote:
Once in Hell things change very quickly... basically you just don't want any physical dmg doers since you won't be able to hurt bosses without max amp

Yeah, this is one of our worries, so we're trying to make a diverse team of two that's able to compliment one another but won't have to fight too much over gear. Our latest setup was a bowazon, with me as a chantress, but that was getting really frustrating. Useful input, though! Thank you! I'll run it by him and see what he says -- ironically he mentioned a WC barb earlier today.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm 

Meretseger wrote:
A WC barb? Really? Hmm.. And blaze! That's certainly unique, but does sound fun.

WC barbs are good tanks, great life buff, and can control mobs really well. They have the blade of arreat (negative aura) and battle cry (curse) as negative buffs to the enemies. They don't damage bosses for shit, but as long as you're the target, you should be able to run around and take dmg while ur teammate does the killing (make sure to hit him once and a while so he doesn't regen!)

The blaze sorc is a disgusting DPS... stack your blaze 20 times and a boss will drop within a minute. The problem is, of course, getting him in there and keeping him there, which is the barbs job. For trash, wc barb runs in first, stuns mob, meanwhile blaze sorc builds up a nice little patch, wc barb runs back in the patch, mobs follow you to their death (if not instant, stun them once and they will die soon after). Not to mention the wc dmg can get up to 15k which is nothing to scoff at in an AOE. It's a very hokey team but talk about a fun, different, and still able to pwn shit 2man team...

Meretseger wrote:
Wouldn't max LR deal with some immunities?

absolutely. I'm just going to quote Blue here, since he recently gave a wonderful explanation of breaking immunities:

----------
it takes extra to break immunes though:

"Immune monsters are only impacted by 1/5 the effect of Curses and Conviction. So a lower resist of -75%, you will only do -15% resist to any monster with 100% resists. This penalty applies to Holy Auras, Conviction, Lower Resist, Amplify Damage and Decrepify. All other sources of -resist cannot break immunities so they do 0% unless the immunity is broken, in which case they will apply their full value.

Example:
Normal Cow King has 106% fire resist. In order to break his immunity you will need (7% x 5 = 35% lower resists)
Hell Diablo has 125% fire resist. In order to break his immunity you will need (25% x 5 = 125% lower resists)

Holy Auras/Conviction and Lower Resist will stack to try and break the immunity additively. Even if one source would break the immunity though, both LR and Holy Auras/Conviction *still* only operate at 1/5 effectiveness. Example: Hell Radament has 100% cold resist. A Necromancer and a Holy Freeze paladin attack him. Even though the paladin's aura will break the immunity, the Necromancer's Lower Resist curse will still only operate at 1/5 effectiveness. The -resistance on the Holy Auras uses the same property as Conviction and therefore won't stack with it. It acts as though there is another paladin running a lower level Conviction when you have both a Holy Aura and Conviction running.

Note: Conviction does not lower poison resistance.

Once an immunity is broken, sources of -resists from gear (such as socketted gems) will operate at full strength."
----------

This is something else you need to consider. You will be ok in normal and NM, but immunities become a big problem in Hell. I usually use a2 mercs just to buff me until I get to NM, which is when I like to get my a3 merc since you can have blizz, meteor, etc. This is something you may want to consider, since you will only be a 2 man team and your versatility of damage type will be limited, and NM/Hell a3 mercs do a fuck ton of dmg

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:41 pm 

Ugh, numbers numbers numbers! That's really something of an idea, though. I didn't think a WC barb would be so handy! That Blaze tactic seems kinda dirty, but undoubtedly effective.

Would it function as well with something like a phoenix sin? I know it's not as sure-fire [ha, ha...] as a Blaze sorc, but honestly casting and stacking blaze [read: running in small patches/circles] over and over, while effective, seems a little.. bland?

And trust me, Hell is one of our biggest worries. We certainly wanna face off with the biggest and baddest of the bunch for shots at gear, and we're especially scared of all the resistances and immunities, so we're definitely looking for a way to bypass them as best we can. It's a shame we've had to more or less toss out the ideas of physical characters, since I have a love for bladesins and frenzy barbs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 pm 

Bone necro
Poison zon

Can beat anything in the game.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm 

Bump! Always looking for more input.

We still haven't decided, lol.

Offline Profile