Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

Post subject: Accessibility of high runes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 am 

In general, how do people feel about how easy/hard it is to gather high level runes (Ohm & higher)?

The past few patches, I have been introducing more/better low level runewords to make fun runewords accessible at various levels, but there is no doubt that the words with Jah, ber, etc are where the real fun lies. Are too many people in the community unable to access that sort of fun?

If you didn't have a high powered psn javazon, would your answer change?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Accessibility of high runes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 am 
Game Server Host

well my rune drop luck isn't great, but i'm not really a runeword kinda guy. I prefer open sockets for more char customisation. Every highrune I found this patch is still unused gathering dust on mules

The barb i rolled with at the start of the patch found 2 ber in tamoe in a single game so I don't think it's much of an issue. If you are willing to spend an evening rune farming in flayer/kurast you can usually get the rune(s) you are looking for.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:55 am 

You can grind the runes out by farming tundra or other high monster population areas easy enough, or just farm nith with a psn jav. Overall i'd say its good, or maybe even a little too easy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:05 pm 

I have done very minimal MFing, and little to none Hell Tundra runs, and I have found:

Ohm - NM Tundra
Vex - Hell Catacombs of Anguish
Lo - Hell Rocky Waste
Vex - Hell Tristram
Ohm - Hell Tristram
Vex - Hell Inner Cloister
Lo - Hell Arcane Sanctuary

So IMO, the lower level hi runes are easy enough to access for players who aren't completely end-game geared (and don't MF all the time, like me). To me, Ber and Jah, as you mentioned, is where the real fun begins, and I have yet to have any luck finding them. I don't have the patience to run Tundra over and over with my barb, and he's not geared enough to do Nil by himself, and the Countess has resulted in many low rune drops for me, so I have stuck with mainly gold finding (leo/inner cloister) and have had no problem having vex/ohm/Lo drop. Until I have a better char for clearing higher areas, I can't comment on the drop rate of Sur/Ber/Jah/Cham. Purerage said he found 2 Ber in Tamoe, perhaps I've just been unlucky.

I do appreciate all the low level RWs! I have experimented with almost all of them now and I feel like with those, plus the addition of sockets has increased gear flexibility enormously. However, like Purerage, all of those HRs I listed above are just sitting there since I feel they'd be better spent transmuting to a higher rune, waiting for more runes to open more rw options, or trading.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm 

Convert wrote:
You can grind the runes out by farming tundra or other high monster population areas easy enough, or just farm nith with a psn jav. Overall i'd say its good, or maybe even a little too easy.

Ya - but you use the maphack and have a psn zon. Not really a person qualified to give valid feedback on this topic.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:23 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Convert wrote:

Ya - but you use the maphack and have a psn zon. Not really a person qualified to give valid feedback on this topic.

I don't actually use maphack OR have a psn zon. Infact all i have to work with is a lvl 85 hurricane druid and a healer I abandoned. I have never been able to farm anything, but have seen people farm runes for hours and that is what I have noticed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:22 pm 

Poison Amazon is far from the end-all farming character, especially when talking about runes. Lots of trash killing builds are going to outclass them when rune finding, namely the top dogs of Lightning Fury & Static Field. Not exactly sure why that comparison is brought up as there are better trash killers.

Anyway, I find anything Ber and below relatively easy to obtain, to the point that if you just play regularly you should have at least 1 of all of them. (Or at least 2 Surs to cube a Ber)
Jah/Cham/Zod are of course pretty hard, but you can resort to Cow runs if getting runes is a top priority.

I find it pretty much okay as it is, but I don't mind farming for the best gear to complete a character.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:43 pm 

I feel the runes are in a good place, nilthak is relatively difficult to get to and clear solo, so sharing the runes makes it tougher to get them.

The actual drops on runes are pretty scarce and I have yet to find a zod.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:08 pm 

decent psn zon and a3 merc with dual nautres peace nihl is ez runes

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 pm 

Takes a long time either way solo. Can easily do it in a 4th of the time with two people.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:48 am 

Rune finding seems fine to me, there are so many ways of finding them. If you have a nice trash build, barreling through tundra will get you plenty of runes along with uniques. If you have chars/friends to solo/duo/trio nihl runs all the better. I play way too much but i've found around 7 zods so far. The ones i remember the locations of were; act 3 durance (the very first time anyone's walked through the area in hell), wsk level 2, act 3 flayer jungle, tundra (2 zods). Between killing things in bulk quickly, nihl, hell cows, tundra runs they seem obtainable to everyone. I've done many nihl runs, maybe even 100 and only found 1 jah, but all the little ones add up pretty quickly if you're after a jah, cham, or zod. Drop rates seem fine to me for runes i don't think they need adjusted at all.

Offline Profile