Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Post subject: Barbarian Feedback please
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm 

Hi Guys, I am new to HU and will be making my second character - a Barbarian. I know that as of now physical damage characters seem to have issues in hell mode, but I am confident something will eventually be done to balance that so I'd like to try out this class in HU. I just have 3 questions:

I am planning on making a tank/damage barb. Just not STRICTLY one or the other. I want a character that can take a lot of damage, but also do pretty good damage as well.

Should I go Polearm, Mace, or Sword mastery? Those are the only 3 items I am really interested in, and I have some decent ones already so that helps. I was leaning toward Polearm just because it's different, but I really am not sure what will be best. I believe Polearms hit more than Maces, but Mace class weapons tend to have much higher min. damage. I have some 400-500 max damage polearms, but I also have the IK Maul which I think does 4XX-9XX. The only reason I am considering a sward barb is because I can use a shield, but then my damage goes way down.

What skills to max? Here is what I was thinking:

20 WW
20 Mastery
20 BO
20 Increased Stamina (for life bonus)
1pt to things like natural resist, etc.

the only thing I am unsure of, is do I max Concentration for boss killing, or do I max Berzerk for the magic damage conversion on WW (although I think I read this is bugged?)?

And lastly, do any builds allow me to completely ignore dexterity? If I could get away with no dex, I could use all extra points for str and vit, which would be ideal for my build. I'm not really sure of what the minimum I can put into dex would be - I'd imagine I'd have to put quite a bit in dex for a sword/sheild barb for sword requirements and block rate.

Also keep in mind I don't have any "godly" items, and probably never will, but I still want to do well in hell mode.

Anyways your feedback is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Barbarian Feedback please
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 pm 

you wont be killing bosses in hell, tank maybe,

magic dmg syngery to ww is bugged tested by someone as well.
no dex = no hitting really? you will have such low base that all the bonuses wont really do much?

most damage comes from weapon not skills/mastery i believe from what ive read.

eth windhammer or executioners justice comes to mind or eth rare tmaul rolled 511ed etc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:29 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

So how much dex do barbs need? every level maybe 2 str, 2 vit, and 1 dex?

Do you think mastery isn't worth it at all?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 pm 

FilthyPig wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
So how much dex do barbs need? every level maybe 2 str, 2 vit, and 1 dex?
Do you think mastery isn't worth it at all?

You can easily leave Dexterity at base if you don't intend to block or use an item that requires dexterity to equip.
Dexterity does give Attack Rating, which is obviously important for your build, but it only gives 5 AR per point. So 20 Dexterity = 100 AR.
For comparison, something like Metalgrid can easily give 500 AR. It requires 100 Dexterity for the same amount of AR. Uber Amethyst in a weapon gives the AR of 60 points in dexterity, etc. etc.
Basically, you don't need to pump dexterity at all if you don't use a shield. Even if do use a shield, I wouldn't recommend pumping much into Dexterity due to how %life increases work in this game. %life increase (like from Battle Orders) only enhance your base life and actual +life from gear. It has no effect on life you gain from +Vitality gear or Life per level gear.
This means that it's often better to socket it for stats (Emeralds for Dexterity as an example) than it is to socket for life, as hard point vitality will yield much more life than +vitality from gear.

Maxing a mastery is worth it. Not only do they give 10% AR/Dmg per point, they give 2% critical strike per hard point (points actually placed in the skill, doesn't work with +skills gear). Since Deadly Strike has been nerfed throughout the game, having a free 50% Critical Strike is huge and definitely worth it.

Offline Profile