Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Post subject: A few questions for a new player.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm 

I'm not entirely sure I should post this here, but it seemed like the best place. I have a few questions and some information. First, I've been playing for about a week now, I have a level 51 Plague Javelin Amazon. I'm playing with two other people, one is a bone necro and the other is a whirlwind/berserk barbarian. We're all around 51-55 in act 5. All questions currently involve late game Normal or early game Nightmare.

At first, Poison Javelin was pretty amazing. I could see the damage it dealt and it was fun to use. I soon upgraded to Plague Javelin which started doing lots more damage. Unfortunately now in Act 5 my damage is around 16k over roughly 8 seconds. I can shoot off 200 Javelins at a group of monsters before anything starts dying. Even with 6 points into dodge and avoid(counting the +1 from items) I find myself getting 1 hit pretty often. I'm sitting at right around 1.3k armor. I can provide a list of my items I'm using if required. I'm just wondering if I should stick with this character, does it actually get significantly better if I stick with it?

Second, I have been thinking about making a new character because of the Amazon being pretty terrible at the moment(although it could just be the area). Are there any characters who are decent at soloing the majority of bosses? Maybe something my team is lacking that I could bring to the field to make it significantly easier? Having 3 people "cube bomb" potions near the boss we're about to fight seems like something we shouldn't have to do. Although if this is what the game intends, I understand.

I had another question, but I forgot :< -- I will edit it in if I remember. Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text and sorry again if this is in the wrong section.

List of gear I use, in-case someone is interested:

Code:
Broken Heart Maiden Javelin(Unique)(1x Jewel that added to stats/res, 2x perfect emeralds for the lower poison resistance on enemy)

Rare Gloves(48 defense)(+1 Javelin/spear skills, +strength/dex, +30% cold resist)

2x Horadric Rings

Lenymo Sash(rare)(Mostly for the +1 skills, I need to find something better soon)

Rare boots(8 defense)(+1 passive/magic skills, 10% FHR, 12% light res, 40% fire res,half freeze duration)

The Ward(rare)(shield)

Rockfleece(rare)(armor)

Circlet(rare)(192 defense)(+1 amazon skills, +160 defense, +16 vitality, +29 energy, +27 life, 6% more life, 6% more mana, magic/physical damage reduced by 9) -- This is going to be replaced with this after I get some things to put in the sockets: Circlet(Rare)(33 defense)(+3 javelin/spear skills,+15 dex, +17 energy, +16 life replinish, 3 open sockets still)

Mahim-Oak Curio amulet(rare)

Last edited by Deesturbed on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A few questions for a new player.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 pm 

Welcome to HU!

Poison zon is one of the most powerful builds right now... never built one myself but Blinky just solo'd LoS (hardest area in HU) with his... so I would say stick with your zon (unless maybe you completely fucked your skill tree)

and if you don't like carrying a shit ton of pots in your cube, make a holy bolt pali

anyways my acc is slappynuts, I got a char ready for baal, maybe we can run NM together. Add me to your /f list ^^
EDIT: unless your SC, then nevermind :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm 

Unfortunately I am SC :P -- Kind of glad I didn't make a HC to start with considering how many times I got destroyed trying to do Den of Evil! xD

The barbarian on my team is planning on rerolling as a Paladin. He was already considering it, but thanks to your post you sealed the deal for him. I did put 2 points into bow skills(Before I was told I should go to plague javelin) -- Not sure how badly that's going to mess with my total damage at the end(or if it will significantly matteR) but if you think I should remake my amazon for those extra skills, I happily will.

Edit: My account name is Deesturbed if you would like to add me anyways. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 pm 

dont worry too much about a couple point mistakes, your first char will be mish-mashed together anyways. Just have fun and enjoy it

I assume you have taken a look at blue's website? Up through NM, uniques and rares that you find along the way will do you just fine, but end game crafting is the shit so go learn about it if you haven't already.

Sorry I can't be more specific as I haven't rolled a poison char yet. There was a thread that had a lot of great info for what you need, but I can't seem to find it for ya.. try searching for it

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm 

Thanks. I'll look around and see what I can find. I read that the only way to break immunities is with conviction(I think that's what it's called, it's been a long time since I've played any kind of D2). I assume I should invest points into Jab after maxing the synergies for Plague? That way I can take care of those poison immunes? :3

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 pm 

well conviction doesn't lower poison res, but Lower Resists curse from necro does. Not sure what pzn zons usually do to deal with immunes, but finding a wand with Lower Resists oskill or charges is the best thing I can think of, besides running with a necro :P

I would hold off on pumping points into jab... physical dmg is seriously nerfed in Hell due to physical immunities, so those points may go wasted.. Wait for someone more knowledgeable to chip in about point distribution

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 pm 

I dumped the rest of my points into Lightning Fury, and so far in Act 2 of hell she can clear most poison immune mobs pretty quickly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 pm 

there is an item with cloak of shadows(oskill) but i dont remember what item its on, that will lower enemies psn resist by quite a lot, but it will not work on any bosses/sub bosses, and a few selected mobs i believe. another problem is that it has 60 second cast delay.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:40 pm 

a3 cold merc rips psn immunes up, borken heart sucks, buy a magic +3 or find one if you can tri socket with emeralds. max decoy as soon as u can as well. dont need jab, u get zeal off of oskill from normal samhein charm as well

perfect topaz craft a belt as well as rings as soon as u can.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm 

Roll topaz belt/rings/amulet.
Socket a rare or broken heart with biggest emeralds you can use.
Get a venom ward armor.
Roll a starstone amethyst boots craft.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 pm 

Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to work on that stuff now.

Should I go ahead and start crafting those items with ilvl 50~ items? I'll just be getting something from a merchant and using that. Or do you recommend waiting until 60 or so?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:06 pm 

start when you can can always craft more later

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:58 pm 

Thanks. Because of this thread I have more than doubled my damage and can solo mephisto with 0 problems. I have started an Act 3 cold mercenary and currently have him in full Sigons with 2 rare FCR rings and a random amulet for strength(to wear the sigons). He's around level 45 now, and deals pretty decent damage. My last question in this thread is:

What gear do you reccomend for my Act 3 cold mercenary? Should I focus on +% cold items? Or should I focus on keeping him alive with more armor?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:34 am 

Wiz/HHG until you can get that Time runeword. Ormus/templars, griffs, 2x cold ele rings, zak amu. The troll belt or arachs, caster craft, 20/-20 glove craft.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:34 am 

A couple things. IMO Dodge and avoid are strictly one point wonders. Maxing decoy and valk are must haves. Based on the lvl's from start of your post. Merc gear would be something like. Goldskin or Silks armor. Spectral shard weap more for the res. The Ward is good on merc for the res. Nightsmoke is a decent belt for the res. Rare gear with res to fill him out. Cold mercs are great when the freeze aura kicks in as it slows mobs. Cold mercs though suffer for gear compared to fire and light till late game, then some nice rws come into play. Another possibility is to make him an insight war scepter. He'll like the fcr and you'll like the medi aura as it cuts down on mana pot usage dramatically.

Better crafts come when you find better base gear. For example to get +1 skill ele craft boots they must be exceptional grade base. Rings and ammys you can gamble and craft readily. You can also craft ele armor for+1-2 skills and additional pierce add 4 socs and res jewels.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 am 

As fairly new to this mod aswell I can say that you probably dont have enough points in vitality if you die a lot.
You'd think you could survive with a reasonable amount but you need a shit toon of it!
I mean seriously a lot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:07 pm 

Thanks for the input guys, it's helping a lot. I'm up to about 40k Plague Jav damage now and still in normal :p

@ Verb - I'm sitting at around 1.3k HP with Bo from the barb we have. :p

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:21 am 

Another thing since you're new. Add as many of the highest diamonds you can use in helms and armor. They will helm reduce dmg a lot. Example:Satrstone Diamond Level 55 req +200 Defense Damage Reduced by 12 Magic Damage Reduced by 12. This get taken off dmg before the dr% is removed. Here http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3391 is a post with a bit of explanation on how dmg absorb is done. Try to hit near 100 mdr/pdr and should be good. Loses effectiveness in late NM and beyond though.

Offline Profile