It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

Post subject: Re: Poison stacking question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:22 am 
Game Server Host

they won't stack no, Highest dps will win

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:27 pm 

I know i've read in the past(on the old forums i think) that rabies will stack with certain other psn skills as long as the rabies damage was lower than the other, this isn't the case?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:18 pm 

Is it changed to vanilla? Because in vanila is rapies not treated as ordenary psn soruce and it sack. So when its here diffrent, psn creeper dont stack with rapies too or?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:00 pm 
Game Server Host

the rabies state (the red overlay around the infected target) is what applies the poison.

2 things can happen:
1: rabies dpsis higher, the overlay is active and the poison damage begins to be done from the rabies state
2: rabies dps is lower, the overlay remains of the target but the poison effect will not kick in until the higher source of poison has expired.

The "stacking" effict is simply the overlay waiting for it's turn or overwriting the previous poison.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:22 am 

k when its changed to vanilla, because there the damage per frame from rabies added to the "ordenary" poisen dmg. in cause 1. and case 2. too.

So the psn creeper dont stack with rapies dmg ( damage per frame ), right?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 am 
Game Server Host

I think someone was blowing smoke up your ass when they told you that.

I wasn't sure exactly how rabies worked myself until recently. I was testing out making all forms of poison stack. The rabies state can be considered a type of curse (though curse immunity wont effect it) that releases the poison damage every frame it exists. That poison is still bound by the general mechanics of poison in D2 though, it is just applied another way with a pretty red effect to show it is active.

Using venom on a rabies druid for example wont improve damage as the state will either apply the poison and overwrite venom or venom will be active while rabies won't be. Rabies plays very very well with other poisons though. If the rabies state is active and someone comes and uses a higher damage poison nova, the poison nova damage will take over, wear off and rabies will then become active again. The state prevents it wearing off if someone comes and uses another form of poison with a higher damage but shorter duration (like venom wwsin completely screwing up a pois javazons flow, it won't screw up rabies flow as the venom will be applied then rabies will kick back in thanks to the state)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:14 am 

PureRage's statement is consistent with my understanding of rabies, although I was uncertain about the Venom part. I thought that perhaps you got the venom dmg for the short duration and then the rabies kicked in, but I wasn't ever sure as the duration of venom is so darn short I couldn't ever test.

I did feel like when I was using rabies in a game with a necro, that it never hurt for me to always keep monsters "cursed" with rabies even though my psn dmg would only go in to effect once the higher DPS dmg of the psn strike had completed.

Offline Profile