Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Post subject: Mana Burn/Mana Shield
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:58 pm 

Hola Everybody

On Vanilla, I tried to make a tank sorc via Mana Shield/Telekenesis, but when I got to Hell there were just far too many mana burn monsters that would drain me instantly.

I have heard that on HU the amount of mana burned is equivalent to the amount of dmg dealt, rather than just burning it completely and immediately. If so, this may actually make Mana Shield+Telekenesis a viable strat to have sorcs tank. However since it has been tampered with, I am also wondering how the dmg is calculated? Are resistances, dr/mdr, -mag%/-phys%, sorb, etc all calculated before dmg is done to the mana?

I was thinking of making a sorc and pumping a shit ton of points into vit, but I think sorcs only get like +2 life from each hard point of vit, as opposed to +4 mana for each hard point of energy. With that said, sorcs, in theory, should be able to have a life(mana) pool almost as big as a barbarian, and tank decently with a proper mana shield.

Going back to my melee sorc in Vanilla- she kicked a lot of ass, except when I ran into mana burn where she is insta-dead. So I'm very curious how mana burn is working in HU. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Cheers!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Mana Burn/Mana Shield
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
I have heard that on HU the amount of mana burned is equivalent to the amount of dmg dealt, rather than just burning it completely and immediately.

Not true.
This was proposed, but not implemented due to time constraints. It may end up in another patch, but it will also require quite a bit of testing before it gets implemented, so it won't be coming anytime soon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:02 pm 

Damn.. so mana shield on HC is a silly thing to do... :(

Making a melee sorc is dangerous on HU lol

Thanks for your answer Blue, as always

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:06 pm 

actually - i believe mana shield works remarkably well. Dunno about melee sorcs though.

For some reason, you can't zeal wtih an orb though which is annoying. Probably some weird setting. You can use daggers though and combined with oskill zeal on the norm sammy charm, you can have some fun.

Won't be a powerhouse char, more of a novelty I suspect - kinda like venger paladins.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 pm 

Yea mana shield is AMAZING (with telek maxed) until you run into mana burn. In the current state, I don't think I would roll one in HC..

and yes it's all about the novelty of it all.. I don't want to advertise my build tho... someone might take my idea! if you're interested in it I'll PM you, I would love your feedback. Maybe you can try it out on SC for me :P (or maybe you can just make it with your superpowers?)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm 

if orbs range were too change then it's my fault;/
For mana burn. It's controlled by elem min/max dmg%(for minions/boss/champ itself) in monumod. It's just extra % from normal attack transfered to ele dmg. So 1000 dmg with ele min dmg% = 20 would do 200 damage to mana... BUT
Changing that would also change all elemental damage from boss modificators(fire ench and others). Types of elements:Fire/Lightning/Magic/Cold/Poison/Life Drain/Mana Drain(MANA BURN!121!)/Stamina Drain/Stun/Random/Burning(not working iirc)/Freeze. So if you were to lower damage to mana(after code editing ofc.)you'd also lower all bosses' extra damage they receive from fire enchant/cold ench/spectral hit ETC. Imo not big deal(most bosses use skills for damage) but worth keeping in mind.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm 

very interesting bit of into steel.. I never thought of mana burn as just being another type of 'elemental' dmg. At first glance, it seems that adjusting the damage to mana, although it would affect other areas, wouldn't completely turn anything upside down.
Surely it would be a good amount of work, but after it's done it would make a lot more sense to invest 40 hard points into Mana Shield (20 telek ofc) and change it from something that is "cool in theory", but doesn't really work in practice (getting one/two shotted by mana burn mobs), especially in HC, to something that is a viable build and will open other windows for sorceresses as well.

Edit: to correct my poor sentence structuring

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:11 pm 

Zeal sorcs are probably more viable here than on vanilla because you're not forced into using passion for your point in zeal. This leads do huge holy fire damage on attack amplified by your fire mastery because you can use dragon+HoJ.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 pm 

Steel wrote:
if orbs range were too change then it's my fault;/

Well, they are a range 1 weapon and we did want them to be a range 2, but I don't see why that should completely disable the ability to zeal with them. I tried it with the oskill zeal from the sammy charm and my zeal option was red when I had an orb equipped. That surprised me.

i guess next patch, we will give them range 2 and test if it works then.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 pm 

What's item type of orbs? on zeal there's only one type "mele" if orbs aren't "mele" then that's why.
edit: nvm, it's "sorc" and "weap". I'll check if that fix it.
edit2: ok, adding "orb" to zeal itypea2 fix it.

Can sorcs use WW with orbs? or use any other attacks?

Offline Profile