Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

Post subject: Nihlathak tactics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 pm 

What techniques are people finding useful in tackling nihla?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Nihlathak tactics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 pm 

The builds I find most easy to do him with are long-range builds that can name-lock Nihla while killing his summoned minions before they can get close to me. If the minions get close, then CExplosion could be a problem. The name-lock is useful for when he teleports, but mainly allows me to stay beyond the range of his ThunderStorm (i.e. he's not even on my screen, and unlikely to teleport beside me). Clear his area first, since that makes it easier. Don't get too serious about fighting him until you can get him away from his shadows. His teleporting is random, but his room is long and a bit narrow, so he is kind of stuck teleporting either backward or forward in it along the walls, this means that he'll usually stay within a couple screens of wherever he was when you start spamming him.

Quite a lot of builds can use this tactic, such as BoneSpear, FireBall, PlagueJav, DoubleThrow, Arrows, etc.

Last edited by Brevan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm 
Game Server Host

last season windy with infinity merc was able to handle him...summon nec with ce for minions (possibly some form of redemption would do this season)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 am 

psn zon a3 merc ez mode, dual natures peace when you get to nihl though. or clear the way to his lair with a fire sorc then bring ur zon ez. or duo team and split runes. thought i made a post about this somewhere

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:18 pm 

I spent about 3 hours trying to solo him the other day (nobody seems to give a damn about doing this quest). I cleared his room first, tried to fight him... but the bastard kept teleporting into rooms I hadn't cleared. Eventually I ended up clearing the whole level, because it was really annoying to have him to 50% and then have to back off because I had to fight trash. Fighting trash around him with CE is a bad idea.

I will share the method that should have worked for my spearzon, (should have as in it works if you don't screw up)...

1. Attack him with impale... (jab will trigger counters). Keep attacking until he has 2-3 spawns.
2. Fendrape the spawns, then run (gotta be fast). This should refill your life/mana.
3. Cast decoy on corpses. Let him CE the corpses away.

Repeat

My problem is that his teleports really screw with your positioning, and its easy to kill a spawn and get CEd when you aren't paying attention.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 pm 

use natures peace like i said no CE prob solved

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:53 pm 

How much damage does the corpse explosion do? can a LvL 53 Barbarian with 1700 hit points actually stand next to him?(In Normal).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 am 

one thing that is kinda handy is conversion merc. I had nihla spend all his time throwing thunderstorms at a converted witch, that I was free to drop meteors on his head pretty much unchallenged.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:01 am 

beast wrote:
How much damage does the corpse explosion do? can a LvL 53 Barbarian with 1700 hit points actually stand next to him?(In Normal).

not if you stand on the corpses, unless you really like pots...

does his ai improve through difficulties? i find myself able to put him in the corner of my screen and he'll stand in my meteor patch doing nothing but make insta-dead summons.

i gather the thunderstorm range is likely greater in nm/hell but outside of that, there isnt much that makes him halfway difficult, at least in norm.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 am 

he doesn't seem to port around unless summons/you get close to him (also nice that meteor causes very few counters) so seems like a good situation for meteor sorce. i don't beleive that will change heading into hell. I personally have been clearing to/around him with my wind druid then killing with my poison zon. Unless he is poison immune in which case I just kill a bit slower w/ wind druid.

*np rings on both characters btw*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:50 am 

don't know if this will be useful to anyone but I'm thankful for this in hell, totally cuts my death by 75%. Hope this helps some people out :)

From Waypoint:

From Second Level:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:28 am 

we should add nith to our shard runs

Offline Profile