Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

Post subject: Leach Effectiveness
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 pm 

From a thread about CobraStrike that went off-topic:
blue_myriddn wrote:
Leach Penalties may be higher in HU...
According to difficulties.txt, the "leach divisor" is 2 in NM and 4 in Hell. The penalty in HU is probably 50% for NM and 25% for Hell.

I took a look at monstats.txt for the drain values of about 860 monsters. Some monsters are not enabled, or from Classic non-LoD, so consider these numbers as just rough estimates. Average Drain does not consider those with 0%, so if the creature is leachable at all, then it's probably leachable by this amount. Drain=0 is the number of creatures you can not leach from; keep in mind that this includes not only Undead, but probably doors and NPCs too, note that the number doesn't change much from act to act. Drain=100 is just a ballpark value for the number of completely leachable critters in that difficulty.
Code:
       AvgDrain  Drain=0  Drain=100
Norm     73%       433       201
NM       58%       433       55
Hell     45%       440       55

Moral of the data: In Hell, expect to leach about 12% of the amount listed on your gear, i.e. 100% life leach in Hell is similar to 16% life leach in Norm.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Leach Effectiveness
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:55 pm 

I greatly appreciate the well put together feedback Brevan, your posts always work wonders on moving us forward on balance issues.

Brevan wrote:
Moral of the data: In Hell, expect to leach about 12% of the amount listed on your gear, i.e. 100% life leach in Hell is similar to 16% life leach in Norm.

That to me is just silly and should be adjusted. I recognize that damage values shoot through the roof which justifies the need for a leech penalty, but I think it has gone a bit far. I'd much rather see it more in the ballpark of 60% of the amount listed on your gear for NM and 40% for Hell.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:20 am 

In my experience a monster is either leechable or not. If it's not leechable I will employ a strategy to deal with that, such as using potions, or draculs grasp lifetap.

Granted I usually have over 40% life leech on my melee char, and if the area is mixed of undead+leechables, such as ancients way, I will use strategy. Stun the rotwalkers with warcy, smack them up, then go hit that bloodlord to get some life back, rinse repeat.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:03 pm 

+life per kill works as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:50 pm 

+life after kill is interesting because it depends on your killing speed and your char's life. On a caster its epic, since your lower life but you blast the trash.

Melee is other way around. Sitting at 10k life on a barb and getting a measly 50 life for killing something isn't much. Getting 1k per hit from leech is huge.

Mana per kill is still good on melee and caster alike. One thing I love about frenzy barb is double swing= it's free. So manaburn or 0% manaleech (phys immune bullshit undead monsters etc), you can still use an attack skill.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 pm 

hmmm, unlike bnet where LL will pretty much keep you alive, I'm almost inclined to dump all of my leach gear altogether and focus more on dr/life. What do you guys think?

Offline Profile