Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

Post subject: Double Throw Barb Questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 am 

I've started a double throwing Barb this ladder and am enjoying playing my first (almost) melee character for quite a while.
Never having played a throwing Barb before, I'm not too sure what skills I should be putting points into once I've done the obvious things.

Current hard point skills are:
Throwing Mastery 20
Double Throw 20
Battle Orders 6
Stone Skin 5
Magic Resists 5

My Barb is currently level 54 and is a HC character in A5 Normal.

Is the Harmony runeword a worthwhile use of my meagre amount of runes?

Merc is an A1 cold.

I have access to some mid-level gear thanks to the farming done by my Druid in NM.

Any input would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Double Throw Barb Questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm 
Game Server Host

inc stamina and bo as next skills for sure. I would also 1 point frenzy for now and maybe add remaining points into it after lifebuffs. Damage resist willhelp and the increased speed etc is awesome. Especially for athrower as you will want to be moving around more than most barbs i guess.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm 

Have CBF always, double throw is bugged or something so when you're frozen you will have 0.5fpa. Waterwalks for example
Quote:
Is the Harmony runeword a worthwhile use of my meagre amount of runes?
Yes but better don't throw last jav/axe as it will vanish.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 pm 

Use a frame speed calculator and find out how many frames you can hit with what weapon.

For melee, speed is key, so you can crushing blow more and deadly strike and stuff.

Compare a 5 frame attack to a 10 frame attack. 5 frames is 5 attacks per second, while 10 frames would be 2.5, doubling your damage.

For a throw barb you must consider a few things, the main one being, how fast will you run out of ammo. Normally speed vs dmg you want speed but here you might want more damage so you don't run out as fast.

I'm also not sure how barbs calculate damage with throwing weapons based n strng/dex but I know ranged weapons do good damage.

Frenzy is useful, it's a synergy, so you might consider maxing it or putting 1, both will be viable.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:30 pm 
Game Server Host

Rasta wrote:
Compare a 5 frame attack to a 10 frame attack. 5 frames is 5 attacks per second, while 10 frames would be 2.5, Halving your damage.

fixed

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:24 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Rasta wrote:
Compare a 5 frame attack to a 10 frame attack. 5 frames is 5 attacks per second, while 10 frames would be 2.5, Halving your damage.

fixed

ya that was a confusing post thanks. Not only am I illiterate, I can't add 5 and 5.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm 

Many thanks for the input guys.

I'm well impressed with the Harmony runeword, now I have more minions :D

Is there any advantage in running two Harmony weapons at the same time?

Do I get two Death Knights and Valkeries? Or are they double strength? Or as I suspect, just one of each at normal summoning strength?

Blade.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm 

hey Blade,

I just took my thrower to HC Hell, it's been a really fun build.

As stated above, you really need to max BO and Max Stamina.

One thing you need to pay attention to on bosses is your speed vs dmg. Bosses in HU have some pretty nasty counters, and as a thrower you can cause counters at a very scary pace, which may kill your tank and piss off your party. If you're not doing very good dmg against a boss, you will be hurting more than helping, so just be a BO bitch and do battle cry and blade of arreat to lower his dmg/defense.

Also, I don't have a BO stick weapon switch, instead I have an eth jav switch. In NM you will find yourself running out of weapons very quickly (as you should put 1 pt frenzy, build it up, then throw like crazy). I have an inventory full of health and dmg charms, so I use my cube as my 'inventory', so it is really inconvenient to have to empty out your cube, use a repair horn thingy, then fill your cube back up. I run back to town at every possible moment to repair my non-eth switch, and use my eth switch sparingly (bosses or unique monsters). Or, if I have a party that does really good dmg, I won't throw at all until we get to a boss (just use frenzy) so you don't have to make all those frequent trips to town or have to rejoin to repair. The most annoying part of this build is running out of ammo..

I personally use an a3 Poison/Bone merc to deal with the phys immunes and he does an amazing job, on top of the fact that he rarely ever dies.

Anyways good luck!

Offline Profile