Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Post subject: How much damage is good damage?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:57 am 

As in endgame characters. Tinkiring with UDT got me a poison necro with a 200k poison strike, and a 35k nova, but it cost the character a lot of resists.

With better resists the damage goes down to about 135k and 25k. So is it worth the lower resists?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How much damage is good damage?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:38 am 

In HC no, in SC, dunno. Maybe?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:12 am 
Game Server Host

those numbers are possible with well stacked hell resists. You can hit 200k strike with trangs set and have easy resists. For nova, faceted templars faceted 3 light helm with 30+ all res, hhg gemed as needed, fathom, sorc rings with fcr/res, light amu with all res, anya quests, etc. etc. big damage numbers dont mean the build is good either, you have to factor in how fast the damage is applied, how much you can pierce resists and if melee how much crushing blow you have. There is alot to consider. As an example, my venger is doing 10k damage at level 62, that would be ok if he had a nice speedy attack, but vengance is slow as shit, in the time it takes him to attack 3 times, a zealer could have attacked 5-6 times, landing more crushing blows/deadly strikes etc.
On the flip side, his smite is about 500 and he owns bosses with it, its hard to say what damage is good when there are so many things to factor in.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 pm 

I actually spent most of this morning putting together what is more or less the best gear for a poison necro and a rabies pally to see how much rabies had been nerfed without the carrion bug (that's for another topic though). Granted the necro was ~perfect gear-wise, but while maintaining max block, stacked res and 91% passive pierce (no merc) he hits 482k pstrike damage over 8.4s.

Also, I think he was referring to pnova, in which a fathom wouldn't help so much :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 pm 

x3ro33 wrote:
I actually spent most of this morning putting together what is more or less the best gear for a poison necro and a rabies pally to see how much rabies had been nerfed without the carrion bug (that's for another topic though). Granted the necro was ~perfect gear-wise, but while maintaining max block, stacked res and 91% passive pierce (no merc) he hits 482k pstrike damage over 8.4s.

Also, I think he was referring to pnova, in which a fathom wouldn't help so much :D

So are you going to share your findings? Also I don't undersatnd the last comment.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:54 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
For nova, faceted templars faceted 3 light helm with 30+ all res, hhg gemed as needed, fathom, sorc rings with fcr/res, light amu with all res, anya quests, etc. etc.

I'm assuming dod thought you were referring to a nova sorc, hence sorc rings and lightning gear.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:09 pm 

Right gotcha. So you wanna post your findings on the best gear iyo for psnnecro? Or keeping it hush-hush

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:45 pm 

Full trangs, deaths web wand, marrowwalk or topaz craft boots, crafted rings with +1 necro skills(topaz or ruby if str needed), sapphire crafted ammy with +dex mods and +3 pnb. Pestilence eye emerald in wand, 2 ether stones in shield, other shield socket and head and armor sockets with poison facets. with 2 ether stones, anni, saph ammy, 75% block is easy to reach with 5 base dex. 2 ruby craft rings with str mods and anni make all gear wearable with 5 base str. marrowwalks give a huge boost to how much bone armor absorbs, or topaz craft boots have +poison skill damage (and a lower str req most likely). I leave all my chars with base str, dex and energy, and pump vita, but if thats not your thing some changes can be made.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:05 pm 

x3ro33 wrote:
Full trangs, deaths web wand, marrowwalk or topaz craft boots, crafted rings with +1 necro skills(topaz or ruby if str needed), sapphire crafted ammy with +dex mods and +3 pnb. Pestilence eye emerald in wand, 2 ether stones in shield, other shield socket and head and armor sockets with poison facets. with 2 ether stones, anni, saph ammy, 75% block is easy to reach with 5 base dex. 2 ruby craft rings with str mods and anni make all gear wearable with 5 base str. marrowwalks give a huge boost to how much bone armor absorbs, or topaz craft boots have +poison skill damage (and a lower str req most likely). I leave all my chars with base str, dex and energy, and pump vita, but if thats not your thing some changes can be made.

Base five strenght. Holy crap. I usually stick my strenght to ~50 to make early game easier, and energy to 15 so it's workable. Then again, I'm doing HC, and I don't know what mode you are on.

Thank you for the list, how long did it take you to figure that all out if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:26 pm 

Not very long, although I can't really take much credit. I learned most of what I know by reading other people's posts from ladders past. As for the gear, I'm sure there's a non-trangs set up that might do more damage (bramble?), but the 100+% res all, 25% pierce and 8 sockets makes things easy. Although most of the damage from my mock build (and most casters) comes from +skill charms, which are harder to get a hold of this ladder, so it'll take more effort to get toons this gg.

Offline Profile