Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Post subject: Amazon tanking
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 pm 

Is it possible?

So most people generally consider the melee amazon to be a novelty class. You can play it... just don't expect much. I wanted to spitball some ideas here and see what people think. Please correct/inform me where my info is not consistent with HU, I am rather new.

So first off, what makes a barb and paladin so much better? And next, what can the amazon do to emulate these qualities?

The first obvious thing is a shield. What makes a barb/paladin better at using shield? Well the paladin naturally has a faster block rate, but zon is actually better with the shield than the barb. Of course, the zon doesn't get the massive defense bonus from holy shield, but the zon has a skill of similar effect that increases both AR and defense by 25% per hard point just like HS.

Unfortunately, the most dangerous attacks are not likely to be stopped with a shield (in my experience). Either the boss just ignores your shield, or he uses magic. Often it comes in the form of multiple-shot counters and spells. For this, the only good solution seems to be massive amounts of hp. Defense doesn't work, you can't block it, and the damage ranges are simply wayyyy too high for mdr/pdr to do a damn thing (my zon has something like +100 mdr/pdr, which means trash can't damage me, but when damage is 600-800 and multipleshot i still get 1 shot by nm ardual). For this kind of stuff, I'm not sure I understand how a paladin is able to tank. The barb has BO/stam/NR/ironskin, not to mention they gain a lot more hp/vit than an amazon. Obviously you can try to get an item with BO charges, but what else? Maybe stack rubies for the hp?

So is there anyway to get DR% like ironskin, or MDR% like natural resist? Or + increased hp (say increased stamina oskill)?

I'm hesitant to put any points into dodge/evade because of the lock. It would probably be useful against bosses, but gimp you everywhere else. I suppose if one was able to swap an item that provided + dodge it might be useful.

Any thoughts?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Amazon tanking
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:29 pm 

war RW has incres stam skill

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:45 pm 
Game Server Host

ardy shouldn't be killing you with 100 PDR/MDR, he didnt even scratch me in nm with 2.5k hp (solo). Are you running?

There are no 600-800 damage single hit attacks at that early stage. Mephisto was killed without using a pot, in NM.

below is my melee zon just after killing ancients in a duo. They were might enchanted and I was leapped multiple times but never lost more than 40-45% hp. High def and walking makes them super easy. She isnt pure vita either, has around 110 base str and 50ish base dex.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:56 pm 

2500 seems high. I have 1500 hp and use 8 starstone diamond. I was getting one shot. It happened at least 5 times. Defense doesn't matter tho, multiple shot counters, I think. He LRed me to sink my lightning res, but I even had a paladin running resist lightning and I got 1 shot repeatedly. So did the paladin. The only way he could do that was if it was like a triple shot of 500+ dmg per hit.

More examples... the stony tomb boss killed me about 5x while i was spamming rejuv pots. Radament 2 shot me a couple times. I also got 1 shot by korlic in normal in an 8 player game about 4x... with BO/oak.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm 

1500 hp seems pretty low - maybe sacrifice some dmg to get your life bulb up a bit?

Ardural's big dmg spikes come from fast melee hits I believe. Getting up close and personal with that boss is where it gets messy especially if you attack fast. With my healer/sacrifice paladin I took him out in norm very easily by using the slower attacking sacrifice rather than some paladins who zeal away. It is also smart to stack your lightning res against him, I generally carry a few rings with 30+ in a particular element when I am starting out just in case I need a quick boost for a certain boss. Once you can get access to the unique rings (shock, dwarf, raven), those of course are better but there is no reason to not take advantage of the concept early game too. Since you are talking NM though, it is a no brainer to use dual shock if Ardy is giving you trouble

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm 

I've gotten used to using the mega-slow impale on tough mobs with counters (bonus: no IM deaths :D), but ardual was weird. I could jab the shit out of him for a minute, and then suddenly I was 1 shot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 pm 

ya- he's a dmg spiker for sure. A lot of that is lightning though, take a look at the lightning skill and you will see that a lot of them have super range in dmg, so you may get nothing at one point and a shit ton at another. I also believe there is some stacking, and weird pattern stuff that sometimes comes up with lightning skills. I never bothered to really look in to it much, I just treat Ardy as someone who can come up with some whollop at any moment.

Offline Profile