Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Post subject: Berserk Barb
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 pm 

How viable is it? I'm in a3 norm doing about 1k dmg, but berserk seems like it will do massive dmg towards the higher levels. 20k+ easily, but that justs guessing. I'm mastering mace mastery...

I'm maxing in this order
Conc
Berserk
Bo
Mace
Stun
STam

I really spread myself thin. Early game though. 10 conc, 7 b0, 5 stun, 5 stam, 5 mace mastery.

Something like that, but it seems I believe in dmg>tank =/

Finding minus res seems to be the most blatant problem, but I think i will have like a crafted weapon on switch or something with oober dias in there. But thats not for a long while.

Basically, I need help guys. lol. Might go 10 stam 10 be until i get conc/berserk done.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Berserk Barb
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:29 pm 

you want increased stamina earlier same with bo.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:24 pm 

Yeah stam and BO come first absolutely.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 am 

really? =/ mmkay, i'll give it a try lol. soo i guess i dont max beserk? synergies seem to give a nice amount of dmg

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 am 

max the main skill plus life buffs (since ur def will be zero ur gonna want a full bulb)
leaves you with 40 pts you could either mastery or synergies. i dont think you would get crit bonus with zerk but the ar and dmg, not sure what would boost your damage more tho.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 am 

my take on barbs is to focus on the masteries rather than the combat skills as your primary source of damage is going to be your weapon choice and not your high level skills. The damage on your weapon will most often multiply out with a much bigger impact than the off weapon %Enhanced Damage that comes from skills.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm 

usually never max synergies but i thought zerk might be a special case since you need every bit of dmg since u dont get cb (or crit?)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm 

or can you even get cb with it? i have no idea

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:17 pm 

you should get CB with it, but not critical strike (I don't think - but maybe I am wrong, would need to research it). The big downside is no leech as you are not doing physical dmg.

More pts in zerk = more dmg, less tankability
More pts in survival skills = less dmg, more tankability

The question is how much of more/less is there. Barbs excel at tanking, so they will get "more" of that than dmg - which is largely wpn based.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm 

what survivability skills are you talking about exactly? surely you dont mean maxing natural resist..?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 am 

The great thing about berserk barb is the bipolar versatility. Conc is a SYNERGY. Therefor allowing me to use it whenever needed. IM? NOT A PROBLEM blast out the berserk! Getting mobbed by...mobs?(duh) Throw out conc for the major def boost. I can switch whenever I want. The thing is will NOT maxing Bo/Stam REALLY hurt? Maybe stopping at like 15 hard maybe a little less like 12-13.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 am 
Game Server Host

The lions share of damage comes from the weapon, NOT the skill level and synergies. They add a little damage but not much. Strength adds more damage than melee synergies mostly. You can leave melee skills 1 pointed all through norm and nm and just depend on weapons for damage.

It's a bad idea to skip over the best passive lifebuff in the game (stamina) and battle orders as a whole. BO is your party buff skill, you can't not max that unless you are a hermit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 am 

bo and stamina maxed first, always. zerk as your main skill max it, mastery is a good choice as well and thats 80. sometimes ppl max shout/iron skin but with 0 def not sure if thats the route to go?
i met a druid waiting to do meph yesterday who when i asked what lvl his oak was, he said whats that :roll:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm 

lmao. Thanks Guys you have converted me. I'll remake for now, Mastery I'll start off at 5-10 and i'll save the rest for stam/bo.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm 

The keys for a good zerkbarb are:

1- Good mdr/pdr. These are musts. No matter how much defense you get, it won't matter as you'll definitely drain it. But zerk never drains pdr and you'll need a good amount of it.
2- Good weapon damage as mentioned.
3- A good deal of HP isn't bad either.

So, my suggestions are:
Safety craft - Utilize this as much as possible. You'll need as many pdr/mdr as possible. Especially rings, safety rings give a lot of vitality bonus. Safety weapon gives a good deal of damage bonus as well.
Iron Skin - By the same reason on pdr, you should sink every single remaining skill point into iron skin after maxing out on orders-stamina-berserk-mastery.
Redemption Aura - A Holy crafted weapon gives 6-8 level of it. You won't be able to benefit from life/mana steal but you'll kill shit so fast. Redemption greatly synergies with Berserk. Not to mention that a holy crafted weapon has a very good damage boost and magic damage.

Well, that's it.. Kinda.. At least i got nothing more to say.

not the deep feeling of self-worth that comes from actually earning what you have.

ARE THESE THE OTHER PEOPLE YOU WANTED TO SHEAD FROM THE COMMUNITY?

Yep.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 am 

What weapon would be good?

Axes- Some have magic theme and good ias with pretty decent damage.

Maces- Overall damage and is the popular choice due to full IK as near endgame gear. I believe CB appears on maces more, but thats just a random guess.

IAS or DPS/gear?

Just want some opinions is all.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:13 pm 

@Rebel My suggestions are one Safety crafted weapon for increased damage and mdr/pdr and one Holy crafted weapon for increased damage and redemption aura. Berserk deals magic damage and thus you can't life/mana steal. But berserk kills shit so fast and redemption lets you regenerate from corpses. You can socket your weapons with mal runes and amets for - magic resistance and ias respectively (I think in blue's site, -8% to magic magic resistance is actually -%8 to enemy magic resistance for mal rune).

For weapon type, my suggestion will be generic two handed swords, crafted and socketed colossal swords to be more specific. Colossal swords have the best offering on damage and base as. Of course you need some more detailed speed calculation for berserk. Here, you can find some site that can help you (warning: i don't know the exact mechanics of berserk, but ias on second weapon has no effect on your actual speed with zerk according to here):

http://diablo3.ingame.de/tips/calcs/wea ... ng=english

When you're choosing equipment, you have to consider these points:

1- MDR/PDR: Berserk drains your defense like no other. No amount of defense will do good in a berserk build. MDR is not nearly as compulsory as PDR as berserk doesn't drain resistances unlike defense.

2- As your defense goes down like no other and you can't steal life/mana because you do magic damage; you HAVE TO get an alternate way of regenerating life and mana because berserk drains a good amount of mana as well. In my suggested build, that alternate way is level 8 redemption aura.

3- Magic resistant/immune monsters/bosses: You also need a way to decrease magic resistance somehow for these. If I'm thinking correctly on mal runes, they are an option. Having someone to lower resist is also an option, or having oskill lower resist-lower resist charges as well. But, lower resist will be a burden to your gear choice. Your best bet will be something that decreases enemy magic resistance as you hit.

4- Balance between damage-dr: Depending on your preferences, you can either load some additional strength with blood crafted amulets/rings which means less mdr/pdr with possible safety crafted counterparts; or using safety crafted amulet/rings in the place of blood crafted counterparts for additional mdr/pdr. Also deciding to socket armors/helms with amets or diamonds also effects this balance as amets give str bonus whereas diamonds give additional mdr/pdr. You have to get the right balance as loaded str will make you a glass cannon and loaded damage reduction will get you nowhere as your zerk barb will deal less damage than supposed. Also, one more point on this, you WON'T get the percentage of the damage you deal with redemption. I don't know how redemption works but i know how it doesn't work. But, you have to kill shit, so that redemption works.

What makes zerk barbs one of the strongest melee builds is the last patch that nerfed gimmicky melee builds like zeal-cb or frenzy-dswing-cb and buffed melee raw damage with buff on strength stat.

-------------------------------------

Also, if you're going for crushing blow or something like that, DON'T EVER go for a zerk barb. Frenzy-D swing barb is a much better option as D swing has an unmatched attack speed after maxed frenzy. Frenzy-D swing attacks 3 times more than zerk in the same amount of time.

not the deep feeling of self-worth that comes from actually earning what you have.

Yep.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 am 
Game Server Host

Quote:
3- Magic resistant/immune monsters/bosses: You also need a way to decrease magic resistance somehow for these. If I'm thinking correctly on mal runes, they are an option. Having someone to lower resist is also an option, or having oskill lower resist-lower resist charges as well. But, lower resist will be a burden to your gear choice. Your best bet will be something that decreases enemy magic resistance as you hit.

lower res curse won't lower magic resistance. It was suggested but after testing, it was deemed way to powerful.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am 

i currently have a conc//zerk barb, lvl 82 does 18k zerk with only 10 or so pnts in conc and 1 in zerk. My wep only does 670~ max dmg, zerk will hit huge huge numbers once you get a big wep. (max spear mastery//bo/ stam atm)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:29 pm 

Siqness wrote:
i currently have a conc//zerk barb, lvl 82 does 18k zerk with only 10 or so pnts in conc and 1 in zerk. My wep only does 670~ max dmg, zerk will hit huge huge numbers once you get a big wep. (max spear mastery//bo/ stam atm)

Ya - I think that some melee characters will pull down some huge numbers if they focus on dmg at the expense of tank role

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:58 pm 

Is maxing battle cry a good idea? -%dmg should help with taking hits, ye? Or it's just 1 point skill?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Siqness wrote:

Ya - I think that some melee characters will pull down some huge numbers if they focus on dmg at the expense of tank role

The numbers dont matter for the bosses that matter, that is, hell act bosses, who have starting at andy 125% phys resistance, and going up..

atm melee is USELESS.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 pm 

125 % phys res means what in terms of beserk?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm 

Zikur wrote:

it means you use berzerk and start chugging 4000 juvs cuz andy gonna slay u

of course you can have a healer healing but,,, WHY NOT JUST BRING METEOR SORC and use concentrate.

Steel wrote:
Is maxing battle cry a good idea? -%dmg should help with taking hits, ye? Or it's just 1 point skill?

1 pnt battle cry is enough, you cant stun the relevant monsters anyway so stunning trash for 2 more seconds with 10 more pnts is bad.

I haev 1 pnt into cry, stun lasts 3.2 seconds, thats fine for me cuz then i just cast it again.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Last edited by Rasta on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm 

srry double post how do i delete this?

Abominae wrote:
@Blue

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:00 am 

Rasta wrote:
1 pnt battle cry is enough, you cant stun the relevant monsters anyway so stunning trash for 2 more seconds with 10 more pnts is bad.

I haev 1 pnt into cry, stun lasts 3.2 seconds, thats fine for me cuz then i just cast it again.

battle cry won`t stun mobs, it`s war cry job.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:59 am 

Rasta wrote:
Zikur wrote:

of course you can have a healer healing but,,, WHY NOT JUST BRING METEOR SORC and use concentrate.

The same andy with 125% physical resistance can't do shit to a zerk barb who has a good pdr and resistances. But, like you say: Meteor Sorc is a lot more useful against the same andy with -50% fire res.

And, melee is not a useless trash. Making a caster is just much more useful compared to making a melee because casters are a lot more ezpz in comparison.

Rasta wrote:
Steel wrote:

Battle cry is nothing useful for increasing zerk damage. Much more useful on decreasing enemy damage, but i know nothing about its feasibility. I think it works on most of those relevant monsters like most of those curses. But 1 point gives -25% damage reduction and 20 point gives -44%. So I don't think maxing out on battle cry is a good idea for a zerk barb. Significant increase on duration means nothing anyway. You can cast it repeatedly. +1 Taunt is good as well, it means that your merc won't die to stupid trash. Especially when you're using an iron wolf, which is a caster but always stays close for some reason. Taunt doesn't work on relevant things i think.

Yep.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm 

Well i havent remade yet but i'm glad this topic is still going... I might save like 2-4 points off both bo and stam for the extra Synergy dmg... I dont know how conc will fair in situations where i need it with just one pt so maybe 5 will be nice. While i start sinking pts in Iron skin end game.

Question: Does decrep actually increase magic dmg? I have a law bringer i wouldnt mind having on switch since i dot really use it anymore. Too poor to make anything else useful.

I think making my biggest probel will be pdr/mdr. I never knew it was so viable before. Blood craft helms with diamonds in there might really help for this barb as well.

Q2: Is there an Elite Circlet? I tried moonstone craft with Tiara and Coronet with no dice. I'm not new to crafting, but am new to crafting circlets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm 
Game Server Host

diadems are elite

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:26 am 

Rebel wrote:
I think making my biggest probel will be pdr/mdr. I never knew it was so viable before. Blood craft helms with diamonds in there might really help for this barb as well.

Especially useful on zerker because defense hardly matters for them. 6% damage reduction along with say 60 mdr and pdr is friggin golden. If you socket your body armor with uber diamonds as well, you're friggin golden and won't die to stupid things, not to mention you'll lol to physical immunity.

Yep.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:34 am 

RushDaddy wrote:
Rasta wrote:
Zikur wrote:

The same andy with 125% physical resistance can't do shit to a zerk barb who has a good pdr and resistances.

I must be playing a different mod

Offline Profile