Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Post subject: My melee thoughts.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 pm 

What a relieve, good he has only 96% phys res with dec, I thought phys melee couldn't tank with 5% ll efe and phys immun but that changes a lot, now ww barb needs only 170k raw dmg to stay alive for 10 sec w/o pot/healer, unless every act boss could be easily killed by amp/wolfs barbs with 2x edge. What was the point of making melee btw? Hork? Shopper? Bo? ah.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24xBFEQth1s yes.

Last edited by Steel on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: 1.3 skills bugs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:43 pm 
Game Server Host

really? Our barb tanked him first play through, whats the problem here?

Block? Def? Dr%? You get no real leech from act end bosses anyway

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:57 pm 

No problems at all, my only phys melee is in a3 norm(prolly will be there forever), I just wonder why nerf melee that much with even more phys res on every mob/boss, while casters stack easily 100 pierce. You should consider adding phys pierce next patch or remove phys dmg completely, so far 2 teams killed baal (I was in 2nd with my 3 chars[pro noob]) with only wolfs/blades as tanks. I know it's up for everyone to choose what they play but don't push melee to "team only" build as you can see psn necs can easily solo this game, not saying about Martel's din hiting 99lvl alone. Balance more. Anyway I won't respond for anything as my language skills aren't the best and you'll prolly try to outmaneuver what I just said.
tl;dr - want to beat baal don't play phys melee, want some challenge choose barbs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm 
Game Server Host

I'm putting down some nasty dps with my melee so far.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:39 pm 

I know it could be a spin off but - what melee you play? I actually consider going HC and want to do melee zon but seeing on norm she leech much with uber jab and her def is top notch yet her hp is too low, so far I tried 80 str, 50dex, rest vita, was enough to solo(YES, solo) aldural and do some dmg in true tomb but duriel's counters nearly killed(team didn't want lure him to a wall) me so I had to leech quest - 8ppl game, 2 barbs, 1lvl bo, no oak etc etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm 

Steel wrote:
I know it could be a spin off but
Seemed like a good spin-off, so I spun it off

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: My melee thoughts.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Game Server Host

Well im playing a melee zon and she has totlly destroyed every oss I'lcome across, The new impale is extremely handy. Andy was done with no lifebuffs, and a cb sorc as a team mate. Juggy was done with the same team, as was the maggot and ardual.

I solo'd the rest of act 2 earlier today.

Act 3 I had a team of 3-4 with me, was able to tank and lay down the highest dps on all bosses and was the primary/only damage dealer and tank on meph.

All seal bosses tanked including moloch (norm attack ftw) same score with diablo but wh had some extra dps in the form of a hammerdin (no potsneeded).

Just got to glacial and killed the cold dragon as the main tank. 90% of the time i've been running with no lifebuffs.

Heres some scfeenies as she is at the min.
Sitting at 72 PDR 74 MDR, 25 dr% and well stacked resists.
His charms need switched now for the lifers, I've just switched his equip so I can lose alot of res charms.
And the switch eapon ( havent found the extra sockets and ameths to speed it up yet)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:05 pm 

That melee zon is also quite twinked. You aren't coming across that kind of gear in an untwinked play-through without some heavy farming. From what I've seen melee are looking great in normal, and decent enough on Acts 1-3 in NM&Hell. The problem is as the game progresses into non-leechable bosses that have moncurse, melee falls off big time. Their only saving grace for any sort of damage in this situation is a CB weapon. But with the values so low, why even bother? Why not switch to LR and kill the boss with rabies/pstrike, blizzard, meteor, or fuck it decrep and let hammers handle it with the insane passive pierce they can rock endgame now.

There is zero incentive to even use the amp curse late game, you'll only be slowing the party down. What does this leave the melee characters to do? You need no real designated tank for any of the required quests. Rabies handles oak just as well if not better than a melee druid. BO is simple enough to get from numerous sources. Let's not even get into melee characters that don't bring a group friendly skill to the party.

Really what is a melee character supposed to do towards the end game fights? Stand there and look pretty? Shit even if you're attacking with a low damage CB weapon you NEED amp to even make it worth the counters you're creating. The one area I can think of that actually requires you to have a designated tank(LoS), can just as easily be tanked by a hammerdin in tank gear, rabies with tank gear, etc. So in the end the one job they're supposed to excel at now is a simple gear switch away for any paladin/barb/druid/sin that has the brains to switch gear. Case in point, anything a melee can do another build can now do better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:18 pm 

agreed - norm difficulty is fairly irrelevant to well equipped and well played characters. The real balance question is beyond NM Mephisto. That is where the real questions will be.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:48 pm 
Game Server Host

She is twinked but The stuff she has now could be found in wsk. The amu is a basic p saph craft for the frozen armor and dex.

Her gear before that screenshot (early a5 below was:)
Used those up till the end of act 4

Offline Profile