Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

Post subject: Frostzon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 am 

Hi
Wanted to build some ranged dps char, and wanted something a bit uncommon. So i thought, i'll try a frostzone.
But as i'm playing it, i m seeing that the 3rd arrow of the build had only 1 damage synregy... Whereas fire has 2.
Maxing ice arrow only increases freezing arrow's cold length ~~.

First i thought that freezing arrow had smaller aoe than immo but dealt same amount of damage in 1 tic (whereas fire deals dmg/3seconds). But it seems that ice deals less damage AND has much smaller aoe ? And frozen mod on non- uniques/champions/boss mobs is supposed to compensate that ? :<

I didn't went far enough yet (only at end of a1) but i feel like frostzone is a much weaker immozone with ugly missiles (in comparison with gosu fire which covers all the field ;D)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Frostzon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:39 am 

Although I have yet to play this season (have played last 3), I have been looking in to the changes that were done and wanted to comment on the cold/fire zons.

I would have loved to see the new mat unique bow be the bow for fire/cold zons. I have always been a great fan of mat bows, and seeing a bow designed specifically for a cold/fire zon would have been killer.

Something like...

+3 zon skills
+3-5 - freezing arrow
+3-5 - immo arrow
+15-20% fire damage
+15-20% cold damage
-20% enemy cold
-20% enemy fire
(3 sockets)

Another sweet change could have been allowing the runeword Armageddon be used in bows!

How badass would it be to see a zon that is fire missiles as well as laying meteors from the sky!

Hang in there, elemental zons are fun to play with, just takes a bit of time to get to maximum potential.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 am 

i did pretty much exactly the same thing as you. ranged dps has always been my thing and i could never stand starting as a sorc cause mana is super frustrating.

all i can say to you is stick to it. cold is far 'cooler' than immo because the second arrow hits exactly the same monsters as the first one, due to the fact that a square of monsters is FROZEN in spot.

people in this mod are stricken with an unshakeable sense of generosity, so even if you dont find your own ideal gear, people are more than willing to help you out, often for free.

once you get rolling, you rip s*** apart. its not even funny. and the crowd control is nigh unbeatable, so as long as your valk/decoy is alive, just shoot the arrows at her and youre pretty much guaranteed a bunch of applied dps.

mav's set is an excellent choice, while the individual parts arent the greatest stuff around (by any means its certainly not bad), the full set bonus is full of wonderful goodies for elemental zons, and the partial set bonus's help with immunes immensely.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:54 pm 

Both FreezeArrow and ImmoArrow have only one synergy for each of their effects (AoE Damage, fire dps, or freeze length). Because of that, one of those branches can be built up pretty well with just 40 skill points.

If you choose FrozenArrow, then the AoE Damage synergy (ColdArrow) is worth maxing because the freeze duration on FrozenArrow is long enough without a boost from IceArrow, even in Hell Difficulty where durations are reduced to 1/4 (the duration is enough for another arrow).

If you choose ImmoArrow, then the decision is slightly harder, since both synergies have a noticeable effect. I usually choose to max the fire dps (FlameArrow) instead of the explosion damage. You could max both, the explosions do only slightly less damage than FreezingArrow's explosions. Their radius is about 1/2 the radius of FreezingArrow, which can mean much lower damage.

Points to consider:
1) +FireDmg to attack (e.g. DwarfStar, Facets) is added to fire explosions while +IceDmg to attack (e.g. RavenFrost, Facets) is added to ice explosions. This makes the leveling of the skills slightly less important, since you can get charms or other sources to help out with the explosion damage.

2) As mentioned, FreezingArrow's ability ot stop trash from moving is really nice when you want to maximize your damage. You can freeze a group as they form a line of battle, and then walk to a point where you can fire an arrow that pierces all critters in the line (pretty much no trash monsters survive one of these well placed arrows). Battles that take place in crowded corridors can be particularly amusing.

3) The radius of FreezingArrow (6 yards I think) is about double that of ImmoArrow (3 yards). I once noticed the text files for FreezeArrow showed a radius of 6 yards, so I think any display stating otherwise is just a bug. It's been a long time since I looked into this, but it matches my play experience. This doubling of radius will double the damage of FreezeArrow when it strikes a mob because every explosion will hit more creatures, so more explosions will strike previously hit creatures.

4) With either cold or fire branch of the Bow tree, your arrows can do just as much phys damage as Zons built for the PhysDmg bow skills (provided you're built with a lot of dex like them). This means that 1 point into Multi, GA, and Strafe can be very effective. I often keep a massive-damage bow on switch just so I can use Strafe to deal with cold immunes (my regular bow is gemmed for -%ColdRes and +IceDmg to attack). It's worth noting that both Strafe and Multi only do 3/4 of your regular attack damage (skill description may be incorrect if it states otherwise), this was recently tested and verified.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 pm 

There're some things i didn't noticed in what you guys said. Thanks a lot for advices. I'll stick to ice and see how it's going, guess it'll be fine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 am 

How does enchant work with Immo arrow.

Abominae wrote:
@Blue
Hmmm.... Sometimes I believe your logic is on another fucked up plane of existence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:08 am 
Game Server Host

the added fire damage applies to the arrow and the explosion. It has no effect on the fire patch

Offline Profile