Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

Post subject: A pile of comments and questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:13 pm 

for the record, i'm a 52 spearzon.

1. Someone told me impale did magic damage. The skill description does not mention this. True/false?

2. Does DR% reduce magic damage or only physical?

3. Since I've heard that socketing diamonds stops working by hell, how should I go about planning to tank? I have high defense, so melee mobs are not a problem, but magic damage is incredibly dangerous for me. I have maxed resists and lots of vit (and 3 perf diamonds), and I still take half my health from a single spell from diablo. Which means I can't even go close enough to watch.

4. Does anyone else find that runewords are useless? Because the unique drop rate is so high, you are likely to have an equivalent unique long before you find the runes to make a similar runeword. Add that to the fact that crafted items are cheaper (gold/gems being more common than runes) and socketable and there's really no reason to make a runeword as far as I can see.

5. My dependency on lifeleech is insane. I enter battles and constantly watch my life bounce up and down from nearly dead to full. It's quite scary, and makes undead mobs significantly more dangerous than any other type. Difficulties add more and more leech penalty, and I also heard that hell bosses can't be leeched... plus I'm already dependent on supers and rejuvs and im not even out of A4. Would a barb or paladin be better suited for a melee tank class? If so, why and what build would you recommend?

6. I'm curious about what mods can go on uniques and what can go on rares/crafted. Is there a place you can point me to?

7. Where can I find detailed information about HU mercenaries?

Thx in advance

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A pile of comments and questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 pm 

1) Yes, Impale does magic damage. The desciption should say so in the first line. If yours does not, then consider reviewing if you have installed HU v1.3a correctly.

2) %DR is physical resistance, it has capped at 50%, unlike other resistances which are capped at 75%. Magic resistance is a seperate resistance found only on a few items, such as emerald craft shields.

3) Diamonds can work in Hell, but they're not overpowered in Hell. If you can get your DR/MDR values around 100-200 then you'll notice the impact a lot. However, in HU v1.21z it was much easier to get your %DR and absorbs to very high levels, which made the the effects of DR/MDR too low to notice. A character using EnergyShield would greatly benefit from DR/MDR even in Hell. In Norm, try to get your DR/MDR numbers to about 10 times the act, plus 10 (e.g. 50 for a4) and you should be alright for most things. Bosses and ExtraStrong critters will still hurt you, but trash won't.

4. Runewords can be very effective. For example, my lvl 40 Volcano/Amageddon druid found a +3Volc +1Arma hat and made "Lore" in it. It's been great. I got pretty lucky I think. High level runewords are also very effective at times.

5. Melee Zons are still a novelty-class. They can be fine if geared correctly (you need more diamonds), but are a relatively challenging class. Barbs, Paladins, and Druids would have been easier classes to start with. Just about any build with them should be fine, but they are all more gear-dependant than Caster classes in Norm, so you won't have an easy time of it unless your zon has hand-me-downs to give them.

6. FAQ point 3. However, this won't include the mods found in the text files. If you really want to, then consider decompressing the .mpq file and reviewing the text files. I recently heard that the files packed into the .mpq are the current set. You'll want to review the suffix and prefix text files using a spreadsheet program.

7. Blue's Mercenary Page hasn't been updated in a bit, but it's a start.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:16 pm 

Thanks a bunch.

Brevan wrote:
2) %DR is physical resistance, it has capped at 50%, unlike other resistances which are capped at 75%. Magic resistance is a seperate resistance found only on a few items, such as emerald craft shields.

2) Is that "magic" resist as in paladin hammers/bonespear or is that referring to all elemental?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:33 pm 

impale's magic damage is like paladins blessed hammer or necros bone spells.
when brevan says magic resistance that is for those types of spells. i think when you say magic it means all elemental spells. MDR will work for both magic and elemental damage.
i find that using sigons helm and armor are a good start for perf diamonds unless you have rares or crafted armor/helm.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:13 pm 
Game Server Host

magic resist% works the same as elemental resist but it only works on magic attacks. Ie. Bone spells, palladins hammers/FoH, berzerk, impal and sanctuary.

MDR is effective against all elemental damage except poison,. That includes, fire, cold, lightning and magic (magic may not be, I'm not 100% on that)

Offline Profile