Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Post subject: Only 4k damage on a level 99s Fireball?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:04 am 

Was talking with someone yesterday and they said sorcs are useless because they do no damage. They had a SP lvl 99 sorc with 20hard points in FB and all synergies and it was doing about 4k.

I have never gotten a HU character out of norm (im new :D), but I have read lots of threads mentioning that characters do 10k + damage per second in hell.

Is this guy right that fire sorcs are weak endgame? Or is the damage just so low because his test character has no +skills?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Only 4k damage on a level 99s Fireball?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 am 
Game Server Host

lol wtf is he testing with? what are his skill levels etc? my sorcs fireball is at 14k and she only lvl 87 level 35ish skills iirc and 26k meteor 6k fire per sec and can stack 12 meteors before the first fire patch disapears. If he is gonna "test" builds he needs to use realistic equipment etc. My firebolt is doing 7.8k and its 3 levels lower than my other fire skills. she aint even using amazing gear, pretty basic stuff since she is my highest char at the min I cant exactly twink her anyway, still only managing to squeeze -55% enemy res atm but she is deff not underpowered.

10k damage a sec is nothing, a decent druid/barb will be pumping out 20k a hit easily and at 5 frames a sec, so 5 attacks a sec. 100k a sec. Thats before deadly strike is factored in and 20k is a very low proximation.

Last edited by PureRage-DoD on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 am 

Risiko wrote:
Or is the damage just so low because his test character has no +skills?

You also need to factor in the large availability of -fire resists open to characters in end game which can greatly enhance their damage.

That being said, end game sorcs will almost always be weaker than melee characters against most bosses for three reasons:

1. everyone casts amp (or uses items that have ctc amp)
2. crushing blow
3. critical/deadly strike doubling listed damage

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:53 am 

He was just testing out a level 99 with all the fire synergies at 20 hard points. I dont know if the character even had gear on. Either way, your numbers seem to be more in line with other builds I have heard about.

That is a good point about Amp always being used over LR. Maybe to balance things in a party they could rework those curses. Make amp also apply a 1/2 strength LR, and LR add a 1/2 strength Amp. You still have to pick one or the other, but it wont leave half the party out in the cold.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:31 am 

Risiko wrote:
That is a good point about Amp always being used over LR. Maybe to balance things in a party they could rework those curses. Make amp also apply a 1/2 strength LR, and LR add a 1/2 strength Amp. You still have to pick one or the other, but it wont leave half the party out in the cold.

ya - that would have been cool. Wish I had thought of it a while ago when SoulMancer was asking me about balance ideas.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 am 
Game Server Host

Elemental builds can get a fair ammount of passive -res so it is pretty well balanced i think. If your group is organised and have a pala and nec (who should always have at least a point in lr and conv for the partys sake) they will use lower res and conviction against sszak/achmael/phys immune bosses and the trash for extra speedy killing. (if they have an elemental aoe build to support)amp is more potent for your tanks on non pi bosses so that would be the curse of choice. The elemental builds should have enough pierce to drop these enemys to very low resistance and even into negative figures anyway.

I'm finding the fire sorceress a great boss killing build so far but you do need a decent party to hold bosses tight and keep you out of danger.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:09 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
I'm finding the fire sorceress a great boss killing build so far but you do need a decent party to hold bosses tight and keep you out of danger.

Good to hear that she is working out well. I noticed that Soulmancer commented on increasing spell dmg for sorcs in his patch notes so I am glad to hear that is translating in to visible results.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:17 am 
Game Server Host

I've never had a fire sorceress here so I don't know about before (though I hear they were pretty decent anyway) but I'm happy with her so far. Deff not a solo build as the aoe is limited and she can get swarmed pretty easily. having a good strong merc holding packs is working so far but he is well overdue an equipment overhaul

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 am 

He obviously got confused and didn't pump the synergies. You can get a bit over 40k fireball with endgame gear. Meteor is probably the best boss killing sorceress skill(I'd wager blaze could out DPS it, but no where near as safe and effortlessly as meteor). Of course this is assuming the boss is static, and not a tele boss.

One of my biggest gripes about the still OP A1 mercs is they make the majority of elemental AOE characters worthless. Seeing as elemental damage is terrible vs act bosses and average against sub-bosses, there is simply no place for most elemental AOE skills. A1 mercs outclass most sorc skills in AOE and single target damage. Why bother making a build like blizz for example, when you could simply use an A1 merc and clear trash and sub bosses safer and more efficiently. Also, probably getting off topic here, but has anyone else noticed A1 mercs GA piercing twice? They hit, swing around behind for another hit, then come back out front again for a total of three hits. Next delay might make it not matter, can't be bothered doing the math.

Risiko wrote:

I always thought it would be cool to add resist piercing affects to the less used curses. Something like confuse also reducing physical resists, or weaken/attract being a mini LR type curse.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 pm 

wtf?.. my last sorc(lvl93) was dealing 23k meteor with 1 pt in it, and just firebolt and mastery as synergy, around 34k firebolt and just 1pt meteor/fireball lol (dont remmember my fireball but it was maybe around 12kdmg)
ur friend is surely having something wrong there.

Offline Profile