Login | Register


All times are UTC - 5 hours


It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:56 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:14 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2432
I am sure some folks have noticed that death crafts have been reduced. They were the hands down no-brainer option for weapon crafting as they had 3 very powerful attributes:

1. same %ED as other crafts
2. more IAS than other craft
3. more deadly strike than other crafts

To balance them against other crafts (as well as uniques), the %ED range was reduced.

There has been statements that this has made crafting useless. This is of course false and are often based on a lack of understanding on how crafting works. The first thing to keep in mind is that higher lvl characters and higher lvl items produce better crafts. I don't just mean that Moonstone crafts are better than Perfect crafts, I mean that...

At ilvls 1-30, there's a 40% chance of 1 affix and a 20% chance each of 2, 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 31-50, there's a 60% chance of 2 affixes and a 20% chance each of 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 51-70, there's an 80% chance of 3 affixes and a 20% chance of 4 affixes.
At ilvls 71+, there's a 100% chance of 4 affixes.

Affixes are important because they stack on top of the already guaranteed mods that you get from the craft. In other words, if you craft an ilvl25 you are likely to get a crappy craft with only 1 affix. If you are rolling a weapon, that affix may not be %ED and you will be very unhappy. On the other hand, if you craft with at an ilvl of 80, you are going to get a very powerful craft - even when using a perfect gem.

Even if you do roll with a high ilvl - you could still get a junk craft. Rather than 150% ED you could get 20% faster mana regeneration on your Maul. The difference that will make is profound. Crafting is a gamble - and an expensive one too. This is why Crafting is generally viewed as a Twinker's pastime and not something to rely on for your first few characters early in the ladder.

The last very important thing to consider with crafting is that all crafted weapons will receive 4 sockets. This allows for an easy additional 120% Enhanced damage just using 4x easily gambled jewels. This means that:
- Perfect crafted weapons generally start with 180%-200% Enhanced
damage
- Starstone crafted weapons generally start with 190%-230% Enhanced
damage
- Moonstone crafted weapons generally start with 220%-310% Enhanced
damage

This is more than comparable with rares/uniques at that level assuming that you get some sort of %ED from the weapon roll itself. A good roll on a craft will almost always outperform a comparable rare/unique - with one exception noted below. The exception of course is eth items. Since crafts cannot be eth - an eth rare will always be a better choice. This is why bowzons should probably always roll their weapons from rares rather than try to craft them - the cost/benefit ratio is much better that way.

Previously crafted weapons were over the top with their 4 sockets as their damage with easily socketed jewels ranged from:

- Perfect 210-240%
- Starstone 240-300%
- Moonstone 300-480%

With modest %ED on weapons, you were seeing 500-600% ED weapons being rolled. This created a real disparity between crafts and any other weapons and was balanced out.

_________________
People who live in cinder block houses can throw whatever they want.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:56 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2432
Just for more information, I went ahead and crafted death weapons to show folks the wide range you can get. Each of these are Starstone weapon crafts. For most of them, I put an Um rune in each to give the %ED. Most people would use 30-40% ED jewels, but I didn't want to bother gambling them just for this post.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

When gambling for items, this rare showed up. Figured I would include it to give a comparison of what sort of rares you can see ;)

Image

As you can see, sometimes you get screwed (like on the 153% ED Gothic sword) and sometimes you get a good roll like the 381% Partizan

_________________
People who live in cinder block houses can throw whatever they want.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:08 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2432
Just to further illustrate the comparisons between rares and crafts, I rolled a rare naga 20 times with adaments and took the best one that showed up and compared it to the best of 4 ruby crafted nagas:

Image

For reference, the unique naga is:

Damage: 84-180
Required Level: 60
+1 to All Skills
+300% Enhanced Damage
+30% Increased Attack Speed
+20 to Minimum Damage
Adds 650 Poison Damage Over 10 Seconds
666% Thorns Damage
Poison Resist +33%
-10% to Enemy Poison Resistance
6% Chance to Cast Level 20 Poison Nova when Striking
Socketed (2)

_________________
People who live in cinder block houses can throw whatever they want.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 977
whats the ilvl of items gambled ? is it simply the lvl req of the item?

_________________
“Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism”


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:12 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2432
Zikur wrote:
whats the ilvl of items gambled ? is it simply the lvl req of the item?

The character's level (-5 to +4)
If a lvl50 character gambles an item, it will be between lvl45 and lvl54

_________________
People who live in cinder block houses can throw whatever they want.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:21 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 am
Posts: 9
here's one my barb is using currently

Image

it's been great so far, currently trying to make a better one in a berserker axe

personally I love death crafts :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:25 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 156
Good Post. Sticky Vote.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:06 pm
Posts: 18
Okay I have a question about class specific items mainy pali scepters can they get + to certain skills and if they can does it count as a affix or suffix or they dont get those bonuses?


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Misunderstandings on crafting weapons
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:07 am
Posts: 237
Location: Hungary
The +skills you are talking about are inherent item bonuses, which means they appear on white items too. This means they are neither an affix, nor a suffix. Because of this, it is generally a good idea to use class-stuff for crafting.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: