Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Post subject: Good first character
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:38 pm 

I'm sure this question has been asked a few times but I couldn't seem to find it in search. What's a good class to start off with in this mod? I made my usual skellimancer as I do in every mod including vanilla which was great fun and even a bit easy until I met Andariel. That bitch killed 6 normal skeletons 4 magi and 2 golems in 5 seconds flat. Transitioning into new mods is usually hard but that just made me feel dirty :( any advice is appreciated. I enjoy melee characters if I can't make a summoner but I'm not married to the idea.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Good first character
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:18 pm 

Welcome to the mod! :)
Well, summons are too weak to be able to kill the bigger bosses, they are more like support/diversion. Bosses with area of effect spells (act bosses especially) kill them in seconds, while they cause unnecessary counters. If you are playing on multiplayer, I suggest you to join parties. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 pm 

Well I did solo the entire way to 25 and after Andy totally owned me I tried it in a party also with the same result. My summons died even faster then I stood there and watched the rest of the fight lol.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:13 pm 

most summon builds at act bosses are just to use a recastable tank or support, ex. curses or buffs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:23 pm 

Both good bits of advice but I'm still looking for a good first character to make. I made a prayer pally for healing but I wasn't having much fun and now I'm currently playing a bowzon. I might just max multi shot and 1 point each in the 3 cold arrows for some crowd control then put the rest into a melee javazon for bosses. Does that sound reasonable in this mod?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:53 pm 

You'd be better off maxing Cold and Freezing arrow, with a couple points into Multishot. Additional points into Multi only gives you more arrows, and after about 10 arrows about 50-80% of them are just going to fly off to the sides. The synergy between Multi and Strafe is equivalent to about 3Dex per level (10%ED).

Freeze with Decoy is a fine build, and 1-5 points into Multi (depending on how many +Skills you expect from gear) makes for a nice secondary skill or efficient way to deal with cold immunes (magic arrow for dual immunes, Guided Arrow for some situations).

Stick with a party and you can't really go wrong.

Offline Profile