Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

Post subject: Zealot types?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:14 am 

I was wondering is a elemental zealot viable? Like a Holy Shock Zealot? If possible how would his skills look. And another build I was thinking was a Conviction Zealot? Does flashing Conviction then switching to Fanatiscm work? Would the Enemy still have lower res and def? Im leaning toward an elemental zealot at the moment. But is there a reason why I shouldnt?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Zealot types?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:30 pm 

well elemental based melee have problems with life leech...

the conviction based based usually coincides with veangence, not zeal.. not sure how it would be without fanaticism, doesnt seem very logical, but may be an interesting variant..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:36 pm 

There's a discussion of Convictors (similar to the build you're describing) in this link: Pally variants. In brief, these zealot-types are fine for trash, novel to play, and weak against bosses. Since Conviction doesn't benefit from +Skills much, this build depends only on gear (similar to a Thorns Barb). One oddity of the build is that you're never really sure how much damage you deal in combat, since most of your damage is from procs of undsiplayed skills. Life is recoverd via Redemption, pots, or Praying after battles.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:44 pm 

what about a Vengeance pally with conviction? and If I were to do that do I want to max 2 Auras? and just have 1 point in Holyshield and let +skills do the job?

So I was thinking MAX, Veng, Convict, Holy Fire/Thunder, then?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:54 am 

It really is a shame there aren't more viable paladin builds. We've pretty much only got hammers, healers, and melee(zeal/smite). All the other builds are just so mediocre and one dimensional.

Most of the elemental builds are easily replaced with other classes that are either more party friendly or better at delivering elemental damage. Vengeance is so pathetic people(ie Breven) would rather use zeal with stacking elemental damage mods than use slow ass vengeance.

Holy fire is the only elemental aura skill that is actually useful throughout the game, and only because of how exploding arrows work. Holy freeze just straight up lacks damage. Lightning I've seen do well end game, but only after being ridiculously geared out. All of the holy auras have AR problems. On top of these problems we have to balance melee and caster mods just to be able to zeal anything without taking massive damage and or doing shit damage.

My advice would be don't bother. If you want a character that deals elemental damage via melee choose a druid. Miles ahead in all aspects: speed, damage, tanking, and contributing to the party.

/rant

Offline Profile