Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

Post subject: Good Duo party?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:47 pm 

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting back into this mod with a friend.

She will be playing an amazon and my character is open.

Her character build is open however. My question is, what would be the best character to compliment the amazon and also be viable? I would assume a tanking character such as Druid or Barb. Neither one of us will have any gear, so we will be playing untwinked.

If the zon goes physical, I was thinking about doing a Barb for the berzerk, or a frostbear druid.

If the zon goes frost, then a physical wearbear or wolf?

EDIT: Are there any other good Duo party suggestions regardless of if she is a zon or not? She simply prefers the ranged type of play.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Good Duo party?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm 
Game Server Host

I played a duo team with me as a golem necro and a friend as a phys amazon. we played through all quests in order with no problems at all. Amp damage + multishot and guided arrow is a great combo and golems can tank pretty much anything except act bosses. For act bosses the zon can use a maxed decoy for easy tankage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:23 pm 

In HU, can a golem necro have multiple golems out at the same time? I've forgotten. Also, is AMP enough to break all PIs?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh you can have all 4 golems out at once. Also 1 point skeles + skele mastery can tank trash pretty easily too with some + skills gear.

Amp may not be enough to break all PI's but most of those are undeads so the zon can simply use a holy craft armor (wont hit any major PI till act 5ish)
Anything you cant break with amp (and isnt undead) you can just use decrep and the zon can use 1 point mag arrow. Takes a bit longer but it still works

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:36 pm 

Amazon's Decoy is probably the best tank in the game, since it's got a 3 second timer and gets the mods of the crreatures that attack it (i.e. if Hellforge Dragon attacks Decoy, then the decoy is now Fire Enchanted so gets a big fire res buff). Decoy is also great since it doesn't move, allowing you to tank a boss on the edge of the screen (if there's low lag, then this allows you to dodge counters very easily).

Poison amazons are extremely effective boss killers, since Decoy tanks while the low-counter causing poison skills are great for steadily bringing down all but a few bosses. Their biggest weakness is low -%Res in gear, although a 4-socket replenish jav generally fixes that (the unique Amazon Javs are nice choices). PoisJav, DSpray, and PlagueJav make for a 60 point build, so plenty of points for Decoy. This build benefits from Venom oSkill (large dps boost to target hit by the jav, not the cloud) and CoShadows oSkill (just Ith Sheal in a dagger). "Bramble" Amor is nice for it's SoBarbs and the poison boost.

Freezing Arrow delivers high damage very quickly when the mobs are densely packed, which they generally are if there's any kind of tank present. "phys" build is a bit of a misnomer, since Multishot and Guided Arrow have very low %ED per level. In the end-game, if you have a 1k damage bow, then the 20 skill points sunk into Multi only give you 2k damage in GArrow, while your dex alone is giving between 6k-18k. Because of that low return of investment, I'd say go with Freezing arrow and leave Multi as a 1-5 point skill (5 points in you're having trouble getting up to 10-15 arrows). Cold Arrow with Freeze Arrow is a 40 point build, so after Decoy, there's lots of room for alternatives. Mav's set with Elementalist set is pretty decent for quite a while, but if you face cold immunes (quite a few in A5), then you can just swap to a massive bow on switch and use MagicArrow, Multi, or whatever you like.

Consider playing as those two builds:
1) Two copies of the best recastable tank
2) Two copies of Valk, which can tank trash alright
3) Delivers Cold, Phys, Magic damage (Coldzon), and pois (Poizon)

Consider playing with 2 A1 rogues, just for kicks. A3 P&Bone is a great merc for the Poizon (these can break Moloch's PoisImmunity in norm, and can kill him in NM given a lot of time and decent gear). A tanking merc will be redundant, but just have fun with it.

The usual advice for norm difficulty:
1) Get diamonds in armor and hat, your goal is about 20 dr/mdr per act (so 20 by end A1, 40 by end A2, 100 by end A5). Since you guys have Decoys, you can lower this requirement in later areas since you dont need to tank.
2) Try to get around 10 points into Decoy by Mephy. It's not too critical since the PZon won't have trouble killing him.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:45 pm 

One issue I forsee if we both go zons, is the lack of gear.

We would be fighting over the gear we find.

Neither one of us like the poison aspect, so I believe we would stick with bows/xbows. I've never made an amazon, and she is new the mod altogether.

Is decoy really that effective? :?:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:06 pm 
Game Server Host

decoy is amazing since it gets dodge evade and avoid and can avoid most spells and DoT damage also.

Offline Profile