Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Post subject: Single Player Land of Shadows
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:22 pm 

Greetings,
I finally succeeded in defeating hell baal and samheim with a poison necro. I understand they have it pretty easy for multiple reasons.
His gear is mediocre, but his absorbs are decent, dmg red is at 42%, pt is doing about 150k and life is about 4500.
He is getting one shot by the tornadoes from wyrms in land of shadows 2nd portal.
I realize his hp is pretty awful, and there is a lot of room for improvement, but here are my questions for the veterans.

Assuming I could get this necros life much much higher and get him the best gear around, is it even feasible to touch the LoS heroes? I've read forum posts about barbs with 15k+ getting one shot in single player mode.

That having been said, what characters is it even possible to do single player LoS with?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Single Player Land of Shadows
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 pm 
Game Server Host

Use decrepify for the wyrms. when they have such high damage, 33% weaken is a massive chunk of damage they lose. Life charms would be the best way to buff your life along with some battle orders on switch (ondals staff or CTA).

Use a whisp projector for SoB so the curses (amp mainly) arent screwing you over. Best of luck

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:27 am 
Game Server Host

should be able to get to 6.5k-6.7k life with trang's and life charms.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am 

Which chars are best for single player?

Barbs/Druids/ES sorc/pala since they can tank?
1) not ES sorcs cuz hell is full of immunities?
2) not druids since without CB cant really take down bosses or can they?
3) not Palas though they can smite and have max block can't really tank elemental damage and have no life buffs?
4) So i suppose barb is best? Can tank well and relatively less physical immunes + the ability to CB?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:46 pm 

I can't seem to find the thread offhand, but I recall one player complaining that his 15k hp barb was getting one shot in single player LoS. This raises concern for some of the other classes who have much much less hp. My necro is still having trouble with the second portal getting one shot by wyrms with 5k hp, and max dr. I have to make a new game each time I die, since I have lost equipment before with the corpse bug...so I am quite leery about investing more time into trying to conquer single player LoS.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:33 pm 
Game Server Host

if you are both at it, what about trying over tcp/ip together?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:43 pm 

I'm on satellite internet. Latency that high would not mix well with the response time needed for HU.
I'd move to online play if I could.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:33 am 

Well.. I thought single player should be balanced to allow people to play single player.. So would be good if most classes can complete LOS with the best items.. Not saying that all classes should be able to kill all the LOS bosses. but maybe sorc for druid, barbarian for necro. etc. So you create multiple chars to kill different LOS bosses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 am 
Game Server Host

if you are using diff chars for diff bosses.

Pally for druid
anything for zon
anything for sorc
pally or druid for pally
pois necro for barb
barb for sin
good luck on necro, probs a sorc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:42 pm 

plly as in hammer or smiter??

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:19 pm 
Game Server Host

smiter but you can just use a hdin and use 1 point smite

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:47 pm 

Finally broke through to the heroes. (This was mainly due to getting a second portal that wasn't swamped by wyrms on entry).

6.3k life, 250k ptouch

Paladin: Killed him after two tries, blade spam works well for this guy.
Barbarian: Killed after two tries. (Scary)
Amazon: Killed after two tries. (Didn't realize she used guided arrow)

Assassin: Is one shotting me with mind blast, even if I keep my distance. (Max DR, I'm guessing I'll need to use magic resist to survive.)

Druid: Do-able but very hard. I killed him after 4-5 attempts. You can either curse spawn pnova onto him (takes a long time). However I eventually found you can wait till he runs towards you, pstrike him and then keep a screen away. (No curseswapping for this...the 2 seconds decrep is off is just too dangerous)

Necro: >:|

Sorc: Haven't tried yet.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:12 pm 

Finally killed them all on single player...
Wish I could play online, I'd hate to imagine these guys in multiplayer.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:21 pm 

Uh we did nec 10mins ago. It was very tricky but we caged him, I was using hurri/fissure/ravens to cage him thro wall, and tk sorc killed him, we caged him near fortess right to tp. It was fun but once again my skills saved the day( XD )
I know it's a OT but it's somehow related. Next time ill do screens and post here.
And GZ on your SP LoS, I never managed to kill hell andy(got bored playing solo and went mp 3 years ago)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 pm 

Congrats on finishing single player/LoS dude! You got some skills.

4.5k life in act 5 hell? That must have been very painful!!

post a screeny of your char if you can man! id love to see :D

Take it easy!

Jay

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:45 pm 

There was nothing special about my poison necro. I switched over to full trang set, after I finally found the damn shield,per advice on this forum. I switched to an a2 merc and geared him out, again per advice on this forum (tyrael's with 4x diamonds), ethereal unique ghost glave, unique ward with absorb gems, blood rings, gloves, and I forget the other parts... mostly all leech/tank items.

After charms, equipment, etc., my necro had about 6k life I believe. Around 50 base str. Ptouch was doing over 170k.

Equip was full trang, mara's (I think), elemental rings both with 10% poison (1 had + 1 necro skills- hawt), perfect 20% elemental boots, and perfect dweb.

Trang shield had 1 skull putting me at 49% dr, and I believe another random absorb, helm had pfacets, armor had rubies.

I used plugy, so I admittedly adjusted my skills over time to what I considered the best single player setup. (again, first time going all the way through with one char)

A lot of people say use max gmastery / max clay and 1 point blades, always curse swap etc.

I never usually bothered with clay, because it locks out blades....a major no-no to me. I USUALLY curse swapped, however that 2 second window can get you killed on some bosses .... samheim, barbarian, etc. For a number of the LoS bosses, I found that suicide was the best strategy...spam some blades...curse swap, ptouch, and run ...stay the hell away. I actually only managed to kill the druid and assassin from residual poison after I already died. The druid could have been done without dying, but the assassin was 1-shotting my character everytime, even with blades up. I just got lucky on one attempt.

Also, hell ancients is a massive challenge. They will destroy any summons you put out faster than you can keep them up. Ptouch will get you insta killed for the most part. The only method I found that worked was spamming bone walls and iron maiden.\ (they will actually destroy themselves rather quickly like this because of their insanely high damage)

All of this said, I am by no means an expert at this game. There are so many hidden and convoluted mechanics. I would definitely read the forum, listen to the experts, use plugy to adjust your first char as you go along.

Happy hunting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:54 pm 

How did you get through poison imune bosses in chaos sanctuary and throne? Bone wall and IM too? Darkness is poison imune too, am I right? And he is very challenging...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:34 pm 
Game Server Host

darkness isn't always pois immune. As long as he isn't pois immune, its the best type of damage to use on him since he teleports around ALOT

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:42 am 

Yes, right...
I am curious how poisoner alone can kill diablo on hell. There is always at least one of the seal guards poison imune. (I have killed him many times) Can some mercenary kill it? Or if one of the baal wave is poison imune, you just create another game?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm 

There will always be bosses that give any particular build trouble. For darkness, I got a non poison immune spawn. For diablo's poison boss (I forget his name...achmodan?), I believe I just used IM/walls/blades. I forget what I did for andy. If you throw on PLR, and cleansing (levi if you have one and can meet the str), it really is just a time sink.

Offline Profile