Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Post subject: my first nm baal defeat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:06 am 

hello, I am playing SP. yesterday I experienced the hardest battle in diablo2 ever. it took 5 hours to do baalquest, amazing fight. I have tried that before with hammer and found there is no way for him to pass the last baal's wave. then I tired it with smiter, and no way to get through second wave.

so yesterday I used them both (almost a cheat ;) ) I created tcpip, opened portals so it won't take whole day and had a plan to eliminate 4 waves with hammer and the last one with smiter. something went wrong anyway, it took 2 hours to take down Achmel. he used to kill me with 1.5 bone spirit or 2 melee hits. Itried many times with both toons, and when I was giving up, I discovered tactic "spam hammer & run for your life" and finally my hammer won a race with Achmel's bone spirits. last wave took almost a hour, a few rips occured :D but smiter has his job done.

then baal comes... well, at first I though it will be impossible. hammer with my self found equip, without tele was absolutly without a chance. and you could imagine my frustration when fighting with smiter, got half of baal's HP away and then he started to spam that knockback attack all the time until he fully regenerated. I have tried everything to get to him in time and failed... after one hour finally i had the luck to kill him with smiter.

I would like to ask about hammer:
1) how you can kill nm baal if u do not have enigma (baal's KB & tele)?
2) is this hammer too weak for solo nm baalquest:
123% fcr (I know 2% are missing :D )
30%fhr, 34% dr, 60 dr, 86 mdr, 8k hammer dmg, 50% block
absorbs max 10%
3) what actualy does that evil totem which is spawn by baal?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: my first nm baal defeat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:55 am 
Game Server Host

you need to run around to the side if he starts knocking you back and spiral in towards him (always moving in a circle) pop a hammer every few steps and they will randomly hit him. The best way is to just run around close to him and cast a hammer every couple of steps to saturate the area with random hammers going in diff directions.

The totem has fana and casts counters if you attack it.

GJ on baal :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:36 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
GJ on baal :)
thx 8-)

now I am thinking, I was so tired after Achmel, I have completly forgotten about FOH, :oops: though I doubt it would have a big success with 1 point in conviction.

I could not resist to try hell and I was surprised first 3 quest went without a problem, even uberdiablo has appeared and willingly gave all items to me. first I was upset it did not bring annihilus (after some research I know it is the cow king's duty) then I was shocked how easy this fight was comparing nightmare baalrun. eighter nm baalrun is supposed to be easier, or diablo clone should be stronger. he used to be called uber (over in english) for some reason. no way it was intened he was weaker than some nightmare monster.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 pm 

I used to do the exact same thing when I played..

I would load two characters in TCP/IP and switch between them on boss fights. I would solo everything up to bosses, and switch between them on the act bosses.

I got up to hell baal with 3 different characters, but could never beat him. Had a poisonmancer at level 96 or so, a druid and barb around 90. It was alot of fum. :)

Good job on NM Baal!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:28 am 

well, I am on hell, smashing baal's gate :D and found Achmel to be invincible... no way. I think I am not so bad player making my way up to this point. I had problems many times (nihlatak, tobial...) but always it was a fight and it took some time for them until they killed me. Achmel is totaly different story, even on nightmare I almost gave up and now in hell my pally lasts less than one second when facing him. maybe he is very OP, in my point of view, nightmare Achmel is much stronger than any hell monster, stronger than hell diablo, meph. I am talking about solo game, with good party it may be easier...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 pm 

Try to use sanctuary, it will ignore his physical immunity. It is also good if you can get hold of a pair of Dracul's Grasp (or any other source of life tap), it will allow you to leech.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:22 pm 

It's hard to give much advice since I'm not sure what problem you are having. After reviewing the thread, I think this is the case:
1) You're a Hammerdin, but willing to switch to Smiter gear when needed
2) Achmels' magic damage is hurting you more than his physical, but both kill you quickly. You are having trouble dodging his BoneSpirits.

In this situation, I'd advise better handling of the BSpirits:
1) Get more FR/Walk and outrun them well enough to occasionally launch hammers. This might also help avoid physical hits.
2) Get more Magic resistance so that you can recover from a surprise BSpirit to the face.

For (1), consier crafting some diamond boots with a FR/Walk mod. With Vigor added in, it should be a noticeable improvement. If you don't want to swap out your boots, consider another source of Vigor (e.g. "Harmony" javs, or your aura) or BoSpeed (I think the only source is a "Void" knife, but this is too impractical).

For (2), there's only a few peices of gear that give magic res:
- Emerald craft shield (16%) or Herald of Zakarum (5%)
- Diamond Star hat (10%)
- Souldrinker dagger (10% Absorb) or "Crescent Moon" (12% Absorb)
- Glassglare armor (10% Absorb)
- Whisp Projector ring (10%)
At most, you would resist 70% of magic damage, so instead of dieing in 1.5 BSpirits, you'd die in 5. Probably die in 4 given the loss of HP or other things your gear gives you, but you'd still be doubling your survival against those.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:37 pm 

Brevan, thank you for very good advice, I will check all items you have written here and see what I can do. It was amazing sight, after dying I did not press Esc hoping I could read Achmel stats. He was moving so lighting fast I could not get my mouse pointer over him :D

Shantu, I am playing with hammerdin and zealot/smiter. I was thinking about draculs, still haven't found them. This is a solution for smiter only, anyway.

So is it only me who think even nightmare Achmel is much stronger than every hell boss? (not talking about Sammy and LOS)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:12 pm 
Game Server Host

Achmae is a total badass. (most dangerous boss IMO). His phys damage it really nsty, especially when amped. You want to drag him to the back wall to avoid getting amped if you can. remember to walk and not run.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 pm 

I don't play Hell much, so can't remember Achmel's difficulty (He's surely stronger now anways). But speaking for NM Achmel, he's a pussy for the boss-killing builds I usually play: Blazer and Poizon. It sounds like he spawned as ExtraFast, which might be variable, I don't know off-hand. Maybe next time he'll be a little slower. He probably has Frenzy too (seems to me like all melee bosses do), in which case he'll probably never be out-runnable (thus my Blazer would have trouble).

I think that like Sszak, bosses that are physically resistant and unleachable will be a big problem for the current set of popular builds. Sometimes tanking just isn't the strategy to use. If Achmel can't be outrun, and can't be tanked, then I agree that he probably needs to be changed. About all you can do in that case is use summons. Can Achmel destroy his own bone prisons? You might be able to pin him for short periods that way, but I'm guessing that any attack you attempt will splash and destroy the prisons for him.

I forgot to mention a fairly practical method of heavily slowing something: WraithFlight javs with Medusa shield on switch. 45% slow just by switching weapons is pretty nice. Combined with HFreeze or possibly Decrep and you might notice his speed dropping quite a bit. Often "Very Fast" critters will slow to a crawl when they attempt to attack (i.e. they bolt over to you and then stop to swing while you walk away). If Achmel has Frenzy or Fanat, then his attack speed won't be significantly affected. "Very Fast" critters velocity won't be slowed much though (they go from like 200% speed to 150% speed).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:45 pm 

how'd u manage to fight uber diablo!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:32 am 

I will try another baalrun, just to see if Achmel can spawn without extra fast ability. First I have to craft some good emerald shield for magic resist. Enigma has to stay on, otherwise he will catch me with first bone cage. I doubt I can win this fight, anyway I am happy to get that far in SP.

patrick_pkl wrote:
how'd u manage to fight uber diablo!

? single player mode of HU has uberdiablo in the package :D just enter hell difficulty

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 am 
Game Server Host

keep running around and casting a few hammers when you get time, as long as you stay on the move you should get him. GL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 am 

When I was playing single player, I frequently found myself getting stuck on bosses. I'd roll a new character designed just for taking down that boss, then use my 2 characters working together to get past what I couldn't defeat before.

I remember getting past Achmel.. I actually was fighting hell baal. I just remember not being able to beat him and the clear to him taking like.. 6 hours :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:25 pm 

that brings another question: who could be the best hell achmel killer? necro?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm 
Game Server Host

windy druid with sanc aura on equip >> achmael

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:43 pm 

what is the best sanctuary aura source if I would like to keep enigma? for windy druid of course...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:18 pm 

sanctuary shield rw KoKoMal:
lvl12 sanctuary aura when equipped
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+30% Faster Block Rate
+150-200% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missiles
Resist All +50-60%
+25% Faster Hit Recovery
+30 to Dexterity
Adds 8 to minimum Damage
Adds 8 to maximum Damage
Magic Damage Reduced by 12

I dunno if sancs works with tornados, maybe it's just like conc + hammers? Never tried but I used windy dru with a3 fire, i was casting pets while merc's meteo consumed him. just max magic damage/phys damage reduced for him.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm 
Game Server Host

sanc means you ignore undeads phys res, its not restricted to melee/bow attacks. It works with phys spells too. I killed nm achmael at an insane speed using gerkes shield on my windy. Also means you can use decrepify wand charges to slow and weaken him without losing any kill speed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:23 am 

finally I had time for another trial. Used some crafted shield for magic resist. Fortunately, achmel spawned without that insane speed, and I almost killed him. It is very hard fight because every small mistake makes you dead. At least I found it possible. Anyway, playing HU alone could be very frustrating.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:55 am 

... a little success: I killed him for the first time, took 1 hour, terrible battle. then i failed on last baals wave. always 1 hit kill. anyone knows where the problem could be? are those blades so deadly or? i always take his HP down to 3/4 and i am able to keep my hp quite high and then one hit and i am dead. if it is not SP i would blame network lag...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:05 am 

Darkness' damage is generally Phys (Tornados), Cold (multishot FrozenOrb), and Magic (UnholyBolt). Since you can't resist phys or magic very much, Darkness can get some pretty high damage hits on you.

A couple Ravenfrost Rings for 40% cold absorb handle the FOrb attack (this can do some very high damage otherwise, since it has no next-hit delay, and all the FOrbs passing through you is pretty lethal). This could 1-hit you with no problem if your absorb is low.

I suppose a skull-socketed shield is the easiest way to handle the Tornado damage, but there's a few sources of phys res so I'll leave that up to you.

Magic res has already been discussed quite a bit. I don't have as many lethal memories of his UnholyBolt compared to the Tornados.

If you want to kill the blades, you should just need to hit them with a PreventMonsterHeal item. I haven't tried to kill them in Hell difficulty, but last I saw, they go down easy enough in other difficulties. The blades full-regen every second or two normally.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 am 
Game Server Host

The worst thing is being amped. If you can get a source of fade (ward shield) and proc it in the flames before you go to fight him, it will help. If you can get your phys res to 70 or 80% it will also help to take the sting out being amped.

Get something with slow (medusas shield and horazons tornado weapon on switch) and smack him with that every 20 secs or so to keep him very slow.

Take a big stock of reds and try to use reds to recover the damage that drains you slowly and save any rejuvs for when you get a big damage spike. Keep health above 50% at all costs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:32 am 

Thank you guys. Again you proved to be very helpful. At least I know what is going on. I crafted shield with 14% magic resist and had 2 ravenfrosts on, also i had 36%DR so probably I got amped and immediately died.
I will try PVM on those blades and use fade too, or maybe bring my fearless smiter for this fight :D and maybe at the end of this year i will finaly meet Baal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:22 pm 

Unfortunately I could not find item with fade. I tried to level up my frostbitter and hoped for success. He was much more sturdy when fighting Achmel, but failed anyway. Never mind, I am not giving up :)
A few questions (singleplayer):
1. How can any werebear druid pass hell Duriel? Mine had +80% FHR and had all the time been in stun lock/hit recovery. Had to bring my hammer to help...
2. Is sorceress a joke? Maybe multiplayer is different. SP however, is unplayable. ES is just for a laugh because of 90% mana burn monsters (99% bosses) The only escape skill left, teleport, is broken. All the time I am dying because I am pressing mouse and she is standing and after I die I realize she probably "could not see where she should teleport" (of course I could see it perfectly)
She has no summon, no oak, no holy shield, no were form, no BO, no fade, no curses, no bone walls, just ES against mana burn and broken teleport, even cold mastery changed...
3. what is the fun of having all bosses and 90% mob groups mana burn? Drink greater mana potions all the time is just... stupid
4. What are hell Achmel's resists? I am not using MH...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Game Server Host

how many points do you have in TK, if its anything less than 16 then you are losing more mana than you would be losing life. ES is a 1 pointer unless you are making a cb/tk sorc. tk should always be maxed if using ES at all.

The teleport takes getting used to but once you get used to it, you can teleport anywhare and never miss, like through doors etc.

Using diamonds in equip will see you through all of norm and NM without taking any damage from most stuff. My f nova sorc used diamonds in equip and was able to solo everything, including bosses until i stopped playing around a2 hell. She still lives, i just stripped all her gear

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:23 pm 

http://hellunleashed.ucoz.ru/index/0-51 resists

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:02 pm 

DoD >>> to tel the truth, I am playing on one small private server also. 20-25 HU players are there, many of them started as sorceress and stopped playing before reaching lvl 60. I was surprised I could not see any sorceress in nightmare, so i asked them and answer was: "cannot kill anything, cannot survive any boss" so I tried a lighting one too thinking ES should tank a bit. She is lvl 36 and cannot kill any boss, cannot survive any boss... my mana is burned everywhere. If there is not a party I would not get to act3. maxing TK is a long road ahead. I will see later, anyway, if playing alone, sorceress is totaly weak compared to other classes.

steel >>> amazing page, thx.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:36 pm 
Game Server Host

I dissagree that they are weak compared to other classes im afraid. I know fom personal experience as it's my preferred class here. With 120 MDR/PDR you can solo it on multiplayer to act 2 hell at least.

What they lack in hp they make up for in raw power, crowd control and manouverability. If your friends are lacking in damage then they must not be using much passive pierce gear. I've had one sorceress of each element into act 5 hell both this season and last season.

When you say cannot survive any boss, what kinda gear are you using? I've done the bosses in normal as a melee necro and a melee sorc and playing as the main tank. Diamonds make a massive impact on survivability all through the game.

My fire sorc this season, self bo and no shout.

My static/nova sorc last season (full mana recovery from empty in 10 seconds):

Both are Hc chars

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:30 pm 

Sarevok wrote:
steel >>> amazing page, thx.

That page is just a bunch of stolen material from my website with no credit. The losers are even leeching off of all my graphics rather than hosting them on their own servers (check the images in the article and you will see they all point to http://www.mrfixitonline.com

You can find the original material either here: http://blue.arimyth.com/ or here http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewforum.php?f=52 or some of it at http://critterkiller.arimyth.com/

For instance, here is the original version of that resists article: http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=3029 I haven't updated that since 2007 though, so take some of that info with a grain of salt.

I may take the time to change the directory name just to break all the images on them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30 am 

blue
All of russian players say tnx for your great work. Those transleted copy page were made special for russians, that don`t know english very well.
steel
don`t give a way to this site anymore pls cuz I bet no1 know russian language here. blue site is better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:59 am 

well.

1. Citing where the information is from is a general courtesy rather than just displaying it as though it is your own. Example, saying something like "this is a repost of blue_myriddn's work in Russian"

2. It is costing our website money to host those images for you, so if you are going to copy/paste the text, then also copy/paste the images over to your server as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am 

Quote:
2. It is costing our website money to host those images for you, so if you are going to copy/paste the text, then also copy/paste the images over to your server as well.

I was too lazy to copy images, but I`ll do it soon.

Quote:
1. Citing where the information is from is a general courtesy rather than just displaying it as though it is your own. Example, saying something like "this is a repost of blue_myriddn's work in Russian"

I already said there that it`s not my info, ofc in russian, maybe not on an all pages. I gonna check it right now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48 am 

coolio - sorry to come across as a dick. Over the years I have had a lot of my material stolen and redistributed around the net with people not citing any credit. Those pages did take a shitload of effort and it sort of bugs me when people just copy/paste and slap it on their website. I can tell though that you weren't really trying to do that based on your responses though, so its ok.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:04 am 

to me adding one line that info was provided by hell unleashed community (link or team name) would work, or you can specify by whom exactly. Anyway like you said it's for people who don't speak/understand English.

not offtopicing(?) nm baal sucks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:44 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
You can find the original material either here: http://blue.arimyth.com/ or here http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewforum.php?f=52 or some of it at http://critterkiller.arimyth.com/

I visit your page always when searching for info about HU. Those resists I could not find, anyway. Also builds are very interesting on that russian page, I do not understand the text, but I can read pictures :lol: which shows damage. At least one can compare it with his own toon.

DOD >>> whow, amazing work if those sorcs are HC, thanks for posting those pictures... I have to get used to this terrible teleport, maybe. I will see later. You have to admit one thing, if people can get to hell with any class but sorc, it shows something, doesn't it? I know we are far from being experts with this mod...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:32 pm 
Game Server Host

getting used to the teleport will help alot in survivability. Once you can teleport and know for a fact you will actually teleport there, things get alot easier, it just takes some getting used to

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:58 am 

ok, quest done. I killed hell baal today with amazon and hammer in tcpip game. I used 2 chars for TP solution, and of course could only fight with one at the time. As always I had bad luck with the second wave. Achmel was a few times almost dead and killed me so I had to start from the beginning. The last wave was not poison imune so I have killed it with poison javazon. She also has killed baal.

HU is the best mod I have ever played. It has some flaws anyway. In my opinion, they are (for SP version only, when playing alone):
- sorceress are weak (no way for dual element, so a bad choice for playing alone)
- Achmel is waaayyy toooo overpowered (no problem in MP, only when one player)
- poison characters are really very easy to play, my javazon killed the last wave on hell with just 4-5 potions used. She had no skiller in her inventory. This is frustrating if I compare them with melee ones. Poor barb has to be close to boss, he could miss, his successful attack could be blocked - javazon just throws javelin, necro releases nova and if they are fast, boss will not even have a chance to harm them. I think melee should do more damage then they are doing now. And if CB is going to be decreased, this will be even more urgent.

I am looking forward to die in LOS now :D

Offline Profile