Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

Post subject: barb advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 pm 

Hmm. I've mostly played casters so far and i'm thinking of making a ww barb (its the best type of barb right?)

Wanna get some ideas for mercs and equipment.

whats best weapon type to be used with ww??
whats the ideal late game items?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: barb advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 pm 
Game Server Host

You can't really go wrong with maces as a weapon type. I would 1 point all masterys so you can choose any weapon you like as you progress. Pick your weapon type once all other skills are maxed (max your prefered mastery last).

As far as merc's go, thats up to you. If you want more damage yourself (not really since it will only be active on trash and you have plenty damage to deal with that) use an act 2 might merc. act 1 will help you clear trash fast (handy early game) so thats likely the best option. Once you get into mid nm you could go for an act 3 cold merc to deal with trash and phys immune mobs (bugs in act 3 etc.)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:20 pm 

Just max the mace mastery, because its kinda hard to gear up a barb, and Ik set should be avaliable sooner. And it has a mace in it :) and max ww/Bo/stamina/mastery/ now for last, I max berserk, some people max synergy for ww, but it just doesn't add enough dmg, and berserk is extremely nice in hell because you will encounter many phys immunes

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:20 am 

The thing is that I can reskill my masteries anytime i like, because i play single player =P

so what is the best weapon for a barb end game in your opinion??

why use an a3 merc when u can deal with physical immunes with berserk or an a1 merc with amp damage??

or a3 mercs just clear them faster?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:33 am 

I found a prayer merc with an insight extremely helpful for solo farming in past seasons on multiplayer. If you're rich enough you can use faith+purity on one, decent booster. Trash will be slower but you'll have a constant source of health/mana regen even on undeads.

it all depends on what you find and personal preference, but best weapon imo would either be an eth zod'ed windhammer or a rolled eth tmaul. There's lots of choices, check out
http://www.freewebs.com/critterkiller/index.html

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:09 am 
Game Server Host

can't use purity on anything except paladins.

It takes a long time to smash through packs of phys immunes. I'm a big fan of act 3 mercs. (If you seen my healers act 3 merc you would know why). If you gear them right then cn clear faster than an act 1 merc since they can pierce enemy resistance to waaaay below 0. Its also alot better for kiling phys immune bosses. Using berzerk on certain bosses won't be possible for long periods of time, it's better to use conc to raise your def and just let the merc deal the damage for you. Later in the game, the damage you are dealing is meaningless vs the power of crushing blow (that berzerk won't proc and is useless against phys immunes anyway).

Theres alot of ways to build a barb though. The way I'm describing is a good all rounder, you shouldn't be slowed by anything at all. If you like looking at big numbers you can just go for an act 2 might merc though. An act 1 phys merc will help you against some stuff but VS the things that you are useless against, she won't be of any use at all.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:37 am 

you've convinced me to try an a3 merc. a1 and a2 mercs are getting boring ha. What would ur healer merc's gear look like?

so barbs dont usually use shields? use 2 hand maces?

What kind of prebuffs would i be looking at on a barb since he won't be using CTA?

Why not max shout, battle orders, iron skin, increased stamina, mastery? Since most damage will be done by CB, isn't more effective to max shout for defense rather than max ww for the extra damage?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:25 pm 
Game Server Host

its best to max ww for the attack rating mainly, same goes for the mastery. The damage added per point in ww for example is = 3 strength points. while the ar buff is alot better.

Inc stamina, bo, ww, mastery, 1 zerk, then I would max iron skin or 50/50 iron skin and nat res for the PDR/MDR boost If I was playing solo.

My merc uses faceted templars, faceted griffs, 4 thunder prism ondals, lightning zaka amulet, 2 bk rings, mancers gloves and boots and tgods belt at the min. That gives him -116 enemy res.

Wizzy/lidless is great to use mid game with viper armour. Helm wise, you cant go wrong with kiras. As long as you keep his FCR above the 140 mark he will clear at an aweseom rate. That is a lightning merc, cold mercs have a little less AOE but slow enemys a hell of alot. If you feel you need amp on trash you can put andys visage on him to make amp witch reanimates for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:22 am 

thanks.

the website says that andy's visage renimates returned and not amp witches. is the website wrong??

whats a lightning zaka amulet? just one with the max possible +%light damage (10%)?

hmm. i'm really split between cold and light merc.
i suppose cold merc is better for bosses since it slows them?
while light merc is better for trash since more aoe??

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 am 
Game Server Host

all the reanimates on the site say "returned" at the min i think. It is amp witches though, I use it on summon druids quite alot.

zaka amulet with +10% light damage if possible yeh, you get lots of cursed ones from NM leoric and the glyphs are pretty easy to get. You should get a good light one pretty quickly (especially as you can hork the glyph bosses :))

Light merc is awesome for AoE on trash, but the charged bolts can cause problems on heavy countering bosses if you don't have teleport. Cold is a great all rounder and they stack blizzards alot for some really good DPS to single targets too. Depending on what you want (AoE for trashing or more safety with cold and better single target DPS for bosses)
The act 3 mercs offer the most versatility IMO, the only one I'm not keen on is the poison/mag.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:45 am 

I've played with P&B A3 mercs quite a bit, they're alright but different from the other breeds. P&B Don't have the damage output of the others, but they're unique in some nice ways:

1) BoneAmor makes them pretty rugged for builds that won't buff their HP
2) They're the only source of a -%PoisRes aura in the entire game.
3) They're the only merc who attacks with an element (magic) that their aura doesn't affect. This makes then excellent for poison-builds that don't want to double-up on their element.

Their biggest problems is:
1) All of their poison skills do no damage due to lack of synergies or Masteries (so never get Hell difficulty merc, they just waste time when they cast PNova).

Their magic damage is excellent in norm (due to early-overpowering from the Teeth/BSpear synergy), and might be reasonable later if they had great gear, but it will surely not be great due to lack of Mastery.

Play of the day:
I had one of these mercs take down NM Moloch for my PoiZon (decoy tanked).

Offline Profile