Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

Post subject: Diamonds or Rubys in a5 norm soloing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:31 am 

Just looking for opinions from those more experienced. Im playing a hc kicker in a5 norm, mostly soloing it, and have around 64 mdr/pdr. It seemed to help a ton in a4 but a few close calls in a5 have me doubting my choice in gems now. My life is at 1600 which is quite low I realise, though I have put most of my points into vita. Currently shes at 57 and my highest char so whatever I use has to be farmed by this char.

So do I replace my 4xflawless diamond armor/4xperf diamond helm with higher lvl diamonds or would the life from rubys benefit me more now? I just cant decide and both options will require a good deal of farming on my part. I do know obviously that my gems are outdated and just trying to decide which route would be best to take.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Diamonds or Rubys in a5 norm soloing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 am 

my personal preference for melee sins has always been diamonds, but I am not sure that either route is "bad" now that rubies give +% life. You do definitely get the "oh shit" moments though when you go diamonds that is for sure.

How is the leech rate on a kicker? Seems that a high leech rate and high pdr/mdr work well together whereas a low leech rate and a higher life bulb seem to play well together.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am 

She is sitting at 25% life leech right though I really should update the skulls in my claw to get a little more out of it. I was just thinking, maybe diamonds in my helm and rubies in my armor would be worth a try. It sounds like a good idea to me right now and ill probably try it out, though with the min/max nature of this game it may be a mistake. Oh well may as well try it out because me going up against the ancients with 1600 life feels like suicide.

But yeah I was amazed at how much the mdr/pdr helped when I started using the diamonds, never having tried them in the past I was really impressed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 am 
Game Server Host

Deff go for rubies with the ancients coming up. As long as you make good use of CoS on trash you should have no real trouble. You can always put CoS on left click and have your shadow spam it faster than you can.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm 

personally i used amethysts, and stacked as many life charms as i possibly could. also, make sure to get 1 point in cobra strike. the problem with raising life leech is that your normal attacks (to charge up) aren't going to leech back that much life, that said life leech on gear is not going to raise your effective life very much, if at all.

that aside, i think that diamonds (assuming you dont use amethysts) are the better choice for ancs, so long as you feel you can avoid the leaper.

when comparing diamonds to rubies i look at it like this: everytime you get hit by a spell or attack you gain X life where x is the amount or dr or mdr you have, and many magic attacks have a physical component applied to them as well, so it would be 2x life gain~

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:59 pm 
Game Server Host

mdr/pdr gives no life when you are hit. it reduces damage done by that number. The only way to gain life from a hit is flat xx absorb (that has been removed) no realistic amount of pdr/mdr will help against the big single hits.

PDR = physical damage reduced by xx
MDR = magical damage reduced by xx (elemental damage included)
there is no absorbtion component to these 2 attributes

Ie. if an enemy deals 50 damage and you have 70 pdr, you will take 0 damage. The extra 20 pdr means nothing. if the enemy deals 71 damage you will lose 1 life per hit.

60-70 pdr/mdr will only take 60-70 damage off each hit. it is next to useless against big single hit attacks. 5%dr will be as strong, if not stronger than diamonds in equip vs the ancients for that reason. The deff boost is nice but you are better off with rubys if you have no lifebuffs with you. A shapeshift druid/barb may decide to use diamonds but they are still better off using dr% equip with rubys in.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:06 pm 

i think he meant that he looks at PDR/MDR in away that is analogous to saving 10% in a sale - "gaining" money he didn't have to spend. You now have money to spend that you wouldn't have if there wasn't 10% off. The reduction is as good as having that extra life, just not as visible or intuitive.

Not sure if that made sense but it's what I got out of it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:11 pm 
Game Server Host

ah yeh i get it now, but its still alot less potent than rubys

Ie. 64PDR/MDR for 8 sockets when you can gain more than that just from the added vita on rubys. Not to mention the 40% base life that would grant over 600 life to that 1600 life char.

Edit: more life also makes juvs even more potent

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:54 pm 

sins also get more benefit from the vita on rubies then when i played as well :!:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 pm 

Thanks for the input guys, gonna farm up some rubys tonight I think.

Offline Profile