Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

Post subject: Prayer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:29 am 

Level 20 heals 13, gives 40 max health, and has a synergy bonus of 13% max health.

So it heals for nothing, gives a virtually useless amount of max hp, and I don't know what the synergy means but it isn't increasing health by 14%.

So what does it do? Also if someone is sick enough to play a helpless class like healer to help the party, will it even scale anymore? In the past I have run full healers with a maxed conviction aura and the med pulse alone was worthwhile. Seems like pulse healing is dead?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Prayer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm 

Prayer heals a % of your max HP with each pulse (so if you increase your HP with BO, gear, Vitality, etc, then Prayer will heal a bit more). The exact % was put in the synergy area of the skill description because it's a synergy from maxHP's effect on Prayer, but I can appreciate that it's an odd synergy since it's increasing with the skill's level.

The % increases as you level Prayer (about 3% to 20% from level 1 to 34). It's not easy to determine what an end-game Healer's HP will be, but 1200 shouldn't be hard, so Prayer would heal about 240.

Prayer increases your max HP by 2 per level (+2 to +68 from level 1 to 34), this effect is modest for low-HP builds (maybe +15% to +20% HP for average Sorcs), but dominating for low-HP summons (Golems, Shadows, DireWolves, etc; it can almost double their life). It isn't too hard to find Golem oSkills if a Paladin wanted to try some form of SummonerHealer build.

The Defensive Auras that synergize with Prayer heal for half Prayer's amount (a soft synergy, so maybe 120 end-game).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:57 am 

Is it still possible to run 2 auras on a paladin with an item? 3?

Do the additional auras heal half the max % HP or just the flat amount?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 pm 

I'm pretty sure every character is limited to a single aura. There are a couple on-equip auras in the game that mainly function as quest items (Daybreak Soul GC (needed to battle Legion), and AkaraRings (their "power level" effect is tied to a zero range aura)).

There is no flat healing amount with Prayer, it is entirely based on your max HP (There are enough Prayer oSkills that folks are welcome to attempt a PrayerBarb, he should work out alright since in the end game his extra HP will make up for the lack of Prayer Levels). The synergies are soft synergies, they simply look at the amount Prayer is healing and divide it by two.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

I glanced at your post and thought it to mean heals a % of max health per pulse, which I took to mean heals 13% max health of anyone in range every pulse. So a barb with 1k HP would heal 130 per pulse, a sorc with 200 HP would heal 26 per pulse.

But now I see it's 13% of the paladin's HP which is why it says flat 14(this in and of itself is odd as the paladin has 100 hp and it should be 13), which is better for healing lower health damage dealers but worse at healing anyone frontlining a boss.

I actually like this change, but then you ruined it by removing their ability to slot a med aura on equip. Personally, I would of let cleansing/meditation fully heal prayer's value, and had a shield to run an on equip cleansing/meditation aura. This allows the healer paladin to essentially have the ability to heal at all times, giving them flexibility to run a second heal aura for more pulse healing, an offensive aura like conc/fanata/might/conviction, or a defensive aura like one of the resist auras without compromising their ability to heal.

Also I probably would of removed holy bolt. If there is a functional way to make an aoe pulse that healed a large amount on a decent cooldown, like casting the spell would FoH all allies in range and heal them, it would be a decent substitute. But holy bolt trivializes a lot of content because it's spammable and it makes you immune to most bosses.

Aside from the above description of why I think holy bolt sucks, it's a huge point investment which essentially forces the healer to not take a playable route beyond healing. If the ability to be a healer was only a 20 point prayer investment and a runeword for a paladin shield that gave you cleansing or meditation, you could effectively run a hammerdin or any variety of melee builds. And if you based the strength of a paladin's shield based on uniques, a hammerdin using a crafted shield to double as a healer would be weaker than a pure hammerdin because less +skills or magic pierce. Same could be said for melee builds, the shields could be a strong source of %ED, DS, maybe even some CB.

It would remove the tedium of the build, allow the player to actually contribute beyond following and providing auras. But even if you just added the shields at some point, it gives them at least critical thinking in the sense they have options to choose what aura they're going to use.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:57 pm 

So for prayer. It definitely stacks. 4 prayer mercs were pulsing my entire health bar.

Duo mercs with a friend is like having a dual aura healdin of the past, but with mercs.

Offline Profile