Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

Post subject: Is CB/Orb Sorcy useless now?
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 am 

I just started playing this mod and really like it, but I'm at a loss as to what to build. I decided to try the usual charged bolt/frozen orb sorcy but there's a problem. She kicks ass so far until she hits a boss. Then, the CB doesn't do a damn thing.

Now she's only lvl 17 so far, so none of the skills are that high yet, but it's amazing to me that I can't even make a visible dent in the health bar of even Blood Raven, with 10 points into charged bolt.

This particular skill is stronger than it is in the unmodified game, but I don't want to waste time on this build if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Any advice? This is a ladder char. and not playing solo (good thing).

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Is CB/Orb Sorcy useless now?
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 am 
Game Server Host

use tk on bosses, especially blood raven. bosses talk alot longer to kill here

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:55 am 

I guess I don't understand the mechanism here. TK does lightning damage, and far less of it than charged bolt will do a the same level even allowing for using CB from some distance that prevents all projectiles from hitting, how does TK work better?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 am 
Game Server Host

tk has knockback effect that will pin her to a wall

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:45 am 

Abomination wrote:
I just started playing this mod and really like it, but I'm at a loss as to what to build. I decided to try the usual charged bolt/frozen orb sorcy but there's a problem. She kicks ass so far until she hits a boss. Then, the CB doesn't do a damn thing.

Now she's only lvl 17 so far, so none of the skills are that high yet, but it's amazing to me that I can't even make a visible dent in the health bar of even Blood Raven, with 10 points into charged bolt.

This particular skill is stronger than it is in the unmodified game, but I don't want to waste time on this build if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Any advice? This is a ladder char. and not playing solo (good thing).

Factor of the matter is, dual element sorcs kinda suck ballz in HU. You really need to focus on one element to get the best out of a sorceress, especially later in the game.

Charged Bolt Sorceress is a great build and one I've found is very strong throughout the game. It's not the best boss killer in the world though, especially considering if you charged bolt a boss that has counter, you'll instant die.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:23 pm 

The reason to use tk vs bosses instead of CB is because bosses do counters here, and if you throw 30 bolts at a boss chances are you will instantly die..

I'm playing a cb build in HC mode, I plan to max CB, TK, and es. That will be plenty of damage I think.. after that I'm considering maxxing the sorc armor that gives defense, if i make it to level 80 i might max warmth for mdr, either that or the ranged shield spell for counter-counter spam...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:03 pm 

yeah, I'm not too familiar with all the changes yet. Even so, I am really surprised to see how ineffective she is against any boss we encounter. Seems the most I can do is prevent the boss from healing and that's it. The other members of the party do the actual damage. I don't mind sticking to one element if that's practical now, but It's hard to see CB working against the big guys so far.

I wanted a challenge. guess I got it! :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 pm 

Abomination wrote:
yeah, I'm not too familiar with all the changes yet. Even so, I am really surprised to see how ineffective she is against any boss we encounter. Seems the most I can do is prevent the boss from healing and that's it. The other members of the party do the actual damage. I don't mind sticking to one element if that's practical now, but It's hard to see CB working against the big guys so far.

I wanted a challenge. guess I got it! :)

You is missing the point. CB would wtfpwn bosses if it didn't cause counter spam. Srsly, if there were no counters it would be a broken skill.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 pm 

given that they increased CB, maybe so, but it's not that I didn't understand the reason for the counter. I just don't see it working at all! LOL yeah, she kicks butt most of the time, but then just hits a brick wall. you'd think it would do *something* afterall. I'll start putting more points in to tk and es and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Nice to be able to get help.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:17 pm 

You'll see cb get a lot stronger post skill-level 20.

Offline Profile