Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 am

Post subject: Castle of destruction
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:27 am 

Hey guys,

Its a long route to baal hey? How many levels are there in the castle of destruction? and is the throne still just 1 level?

Trying to judge if ill have time before work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Castle of destruction
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:46 am 
Game Server Host

2 levels in the castle, then the throne room, then worldstone chamber

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:51 am 

thanks man

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 pm 

Four hours from WSK2 waypoint to killing Baal is not unheard of. Even when you know what you're doing and have a good group it can take at least two hours.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:34 pm 

Im on solo edition dude, act 1-5 so far hasnt been too difficult, although i think thats about to change when i enter the throne right?

Where abouts is samhain after youve killed baal?

Thanks,

Jay

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm 
Game Server Host

to get to sammy you need to go through the citadel (in ancients way) and into the vult. that can be a long journey without tele too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:32 pm 

Ahh right cheers man! Yea my steelspell tele isnt gonna give me any luck ;) ill try him after baal!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:49 pm 

I didn't find Baal himself too bad on the solo edition (normal difficulty), but the bosses before him are quite different from those in vanilla D2. I had to remake my Paladin after getting up to the Throne of Destruction on nightmare, as Achmel the Broken was handing my ass to me.

Speaking of Achmel, I was wondering how the new bosses got their verbal taunts. Were those already in the game files (but unused in the regular game), or were they recorded by the authors of the mod?

-Edit-
Forgot that teleport is a charge, not an oskill on Spellsteel. Confused it with Warpspear, which has that as an oskill. That is a great replacement for spellsteel,

I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 pm 

Not faced any bosses prior to baal yet... How come you had to remake your pally? What went wrong man?

Do things get alot harder in NM then? Even act 5 normal is much harder than hell difficulty single player on regular diablo 2 haha

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:32 pm 

It's kind of embarassing... but I'll tell you so that you hopefully won't make a similar mistake. Here's a rather detailed explanation of why, and what I am doing differently this time.

I had to remake my pally at level 89 :( , because his life was way too low. It was at max 3.4k or something like that, and that was with starstone and moonstone rubies in his armor and helm. I put way too many points into strength and dex, worried about not being able to wear heavier gear, achieve max block, or even have a decent AR, and as such lost a lot of vitality points.

There are many people here who say leave strength and dex near base. I would say raise them to no higher than 50 or 60 for each, put no more than 10 in energy, and everything else in vitality. That way, you shouldn't have too bad of a time wearing decent armor until you can get

Even with close to 50% DR-- 30% from shaftstop, 10% from Rockstopper, (amazing low-level helm), 19% from a near perfect Knight's Vigil and an optional 14% from String of Ears-- I was still taking unacceptable amounts of damage.

The Reanimated Horde could knock my life down from a couple thousand to a few hundred too quickly, and when I was amped by Succubi in the dungeons leading to Nihlathak, things became very perilous. On normal, they aren't too bad, but by nightmare, their Charge skill level is 5 levels above what it was in normal, and possibly more for unique and champion mobs.

I guess that through charms, amethysts in helms, +strength items, and Hel runes you could get enough strength to wear Tyrael's. And even if you don't get 232 strength, a lot of high level unique armor and weapons have reduced requirements, or are socketed so that you can reduce them.

More life is better than having 50% damage reduction, because something capable of inflicting a 4000 damage hit will still hurt you very badly even with 50% DR, if you only have around 3.4k life.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:37 am 

Well, its not embarrasing dude.. i didnt realise how much life you need lol. Ive got 3k in normal and im questioning it. Its honorable that you remade it! Its a good point... DR% without decent isnt going to be as effective is it! Hows the new pally getting on?

How early on did you get rockstopper and SoE? Im trying to pick them up before baal/sammy?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 pm 

My new pally is coming along better, although I haven't been as lucky with items as I was on that other one :/. As for Rockstopper, I found it on two of my solo chars: the pally in act V normal from Nihlathak (on several runs hunting for runes to make lawbringer). Nihla is a pain in the ass due to all the oblivion knights and corpse explosion, but after doing close to 40 runs there, I got some nice gear.

I was lucky enough to gamble one on my level 54 dclaw assassin in Act IV normal, as well. As for String of Ears, I believe I got that one between Diablo and Nihlathak. Both you can definitely get before Baal and sammy.

You could gamble them like I did for the Rockstopper, but you're more likely to get them from a lot of Nihla runs. Just wondering, is your 3k life the base value, without any rubies in your gear? If so, then that is quite good, i would think.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:21 pm 

Thanks for the info dude! My pally has a starstone ruby in his armor and helm! and a few life charms! ive dumped most of my points into vitality to be fair.. still going alright on the strength and dex though!

Yea ive done nihla twice... he drops some awesom loot :P Ima do more runs cause i want rockstopper, SoE and venom grips now so i can socket my ironstone with IAS!

Whats shenks drops like? he mostly drops crap for me.. but with his level i would of thought he could have some tasty loot!

Gamblin i havnt tried thus far! may give it a whirl :]

Thanks man!

Jay

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 pm 

rofl, thats rediculous! ive gambled it already... literally after 3 mins of posting! I like this gambling thing ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:35 pm 

and within 15 minutes venom grip has been gambled too :p haha

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 pm 

^_^. Glad to hear that gambling served you well. Venom grip is a good pair of gloves to use, although if you want crushing blow you could also try crafting blood gloves, as those may have some other useful mods.

As for a weapon, if you want something that potentially inflicts a lot more raw damage, perhaps you ought to consider making Obedience in a superior battle hammer. Regarding IAS, even with a level 20 fanaticism, you'll need 34% IAS for your attack speed to be noticeably greater. I haven't seen any socketable item that can do that with one socket.

If you need extra crushing blow, you can either look for a crushflange mace (highly unlikely you'll gamble that at your level, unfortunately), or make the Strength runeword in a two-socket melee weapon of your choice, preferrably something low-damage (to deal with iron maiden), but with a fast attack speed and good durability if you won't be using smite to inflict crushing blow, because smite's damage increases with points put into holy shield.

Shenk's drops on normal have never really been too great. Added to his out-of-the-way location, it doesn't give him as much appeal as he had in vanilla D2.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 am 

gambled the rockstopper too about 30 mins after that! ridiculous lol.

Yea im thinking about new weapon options, the upp'ed ironstone with a starstone amethyst is holding up alright for normal though! got a crushflange in my inventory, the 6% CB and 50% deadly strike is nice on the ironstone though ;]

Yea sod shenk, dont bother with him anymore.. never dropped me anything nice!

Offline Profile