Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm

Post subject: What level to gamble certain items?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:09 am 

My level 25 HC Barb has yet to find much decent gear. I got Deaths Hands but need the belt to get the combo. I gambled about 200k on sashes and never got it. Someone mentioned to me that a character at level 8 has the best chance to gamble the sash. Is that true? How are you supposed to know what level is ideal?

There are several other items I want to gamble for (Tancreds weap and armor, Vadala set, Arctic armor and gloves),so how do I know when I will have the best chance?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: What level to gamble certain items?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:34 am 

Most of the information on Arreat Summit is irrelevant to HU, but they should still be correct in that the items you get in gambling are equal to your level within +5 and -4. That means that you should be 4 levels higher than the item you're gambling for. For Death's, gambling around lvl 12 would be most efficient. I've got a lvl 13 sorc that just gambled the gloves/sash last night.

However, I found 1 sash from that guy in inner cloister, 2 sashes from the named skeleton just before BRaven, and 1 sash from the imp at the start of Countess' Tower. Those should be nice areas for you to run if you want to get some cash slowly. Considering I only did about 30 runs, the odds of getting a Death's peice from those guys is pretty high. That said, I only ever found 4 damn sashes without a siingle glove. Spent about 200k getting the glove (about 100 gambles)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:21 am 

So I want my character to be 4 levels higher than the level requirement to use the item? In Vanilla the item level does not equal the required level. Does it always match in HU?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 am 

In HU, the iem level usually matches the level needed to use it. There are a few exceptions, I don't know all of them, but it's usually because the usage level was increased for some reason (e.g. Mav's glove/belt).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:55 am 

Well that sure simplifies it if the iLvl = the rLvl. I guess Gambling for the deaths sash at level 25 is impossible since the range of items is only -4 to +5 levels? Wish I had thought about this yesterday before gambling all my gold away on sashes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:37 pm 

You can gamble death's sash at char level 25 without trouble. The only drawback of gambling for it then is that gloves and sashes become less common (more variety of items in the gamble screen), and way more expensive.

<edit>Removed comments that Hunter's evidence contradicted. Apparently if you're high enough level for the item to be gambled, then it can be a set or unique. At the very least, there's an error between what's reported on Arreat Summit and the level requirement of Death's set in HU</edit>

Items are chosen as rare/set/unique before their mods are applied. Sometimes the items are not high enough quality level to have mods applied, which is why in Blood Moor it's possible to find a "rare" armor with +1 life and no other mods (it's really rare though, you can get them easy enough by tipping over rocks).

Last edited by Brevan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:12 am 

i gambled deaths at lvl 2 and got it quickly...

based on item level not character level guys so 12 is a lot worse than lvl 2.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:21 am 

Anyone experienced with gambling mechanics care to give me some insight? I'm in NM A3, level 75 or so, trying to gamble some low end elite weapons(ettin axe or small crescent). I've gambled probably at least 50 of those two axes combined with not a single elite in the bunch. Is it just not possible to gamble elites in NM? I always assumed you could as in normal you can gamble exceptional items.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:43 pm 

can't gamble elites period...

only normal and exceptional

unless someone comes in and corrects me.........thats what I recall it as always being.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 pm 
Game Server Host

you cant gamble elite sets. Im not sure about just elite items but Im sure I've gambled equip to ms craft before

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:47 pm 

Exceptional:

pV = max{0%, (ilvl − qlvlV) * 0.9% + 1%}

Elite:

pE = max{0%, (ilvl − qlvlE) * 0.33% + 1%}

pE/pV = probability
ilvl = clvl (-5 to +4)
qlvl = quality-lvl of base item to be generated (i.e. 33 for Demonhide gloves)

* You will mostly get Magic items which may or may not be worth anything to you (hence Gambling).
* You can Gamble Set or Unique Items and have the chance to Gamble Exceptional and Elite items as well. Gambling Items appear as Normal Items and can only be revealed as Exceptional or Elite Items after you buy them.
* Gambling gives you a place to spend your money on the higher difficulty levels (Nightmare, Hell), and gives you a better chance at getting good Rare and if you're lucky, Set and Unique Exceptional and Elite items that you are looking for. You can also get rare rings and amulets from Gambling which can be more difficult to find from monsters.
* Buying all of the items on one screen doesn't help to improve your chances any more than buying them one at a time per screen.
* Items are created when you hit the Gamble button on the NPC menu.
* You can reset the Gambling menu by exiting the screen, then by clicking on Gamble again. You can continue to do this rapidly until you get the specific type of item you're looking for.
* Once you've unlocked all the item types at level 48, the items shown will be the same from then on. However, as you reach higher Character Levels, more Magic Prefixes and Suffixes will show up on items Gambled and you'll have a better chance to get Exceptional and Elite items.
* The price for Gambling each item goes up as your character level goes up.
* Magic Find in no way affects Gambling.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm 

so I stand corrected :)

for the rest

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/ba ... ling.shtml

this is for bnet though I dunno if mancer changed anything.

Offline Profile