Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

Post subject: Basic Game Mechanics (Upd 05 Mar 16)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 am 
Game Server Host

+% Elemental Mastery
Increases corresponding elemental damage by listed %
Effect is applied after synergy bonuses
+% Mastery increases damage added to melee attacks by skills like venom/holy auras/enchant twice.
Eg.
2.5k Enchant before mastery
100% Mastery
Enchant Skill Damage = 5k
Final fire melee damage = 5k * 1+(mastery%/100) = 10k <- Mastery is applied a second time

Ranged attacks do not get the secondary boost from mastery %.
Eg.
2.5k Enchant before mastery
100% Mastery
Enchant Skill Damage = 5k
Final fire ranged attack damage = 5k <- Mastery is not applied to ranged attacks
Note: LCS shows ranged attacks getting the double mastery bonus (second example, LCS would show 10k, but you only deal 5k) but it has been confirmed as being incorrect.
Thanks to Brevan for the testing.

Crushing Blow
CB: damage
-Default: 1/4th
-vs. Players: 1/10th
-vs. Hirelings: 1/10th
-vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, default: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th
This is based on base hp not the multiplier from people in game. base is 300% in HU so the HU table looks like this.

-Default: 1/8th
-vs. Players: 1/20th
-vs. Hirelings: 1/20th
-vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th
-with missile weapons, default: 1/16th
-with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/40th
-with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/40th
-with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/32th
This is with 1 to 4 players in game with more players in game the boss life will go up more so the % will go down even further.

Crushing blow is based on enemys remaining life. If so, at 50% remaining life on a boss, a melee crushing blow will remove 1/48th of the bosses maximum life. (With 1-3 players in game)
Amp damage works with crushing blow by lowering bosses physical resistance. Since all HU Bosses have physical resistance, If you land a crushing blow on an enemy with 50% physical resistance you will only remove 1/32 per hit If however you amp that target and take him to 0 reistance or lower you will remove the full 1/16. If a bosses resistance goes below 0 the crushing blow will not get stronger it will always remove 1/16 no matter how much lower that 0 the phys resistances are.

:arrow: Deadly Strike/Critical Strike
# Deadly Strike (DS)/Critical Strike (CS) are both a chance to double your Physical damage.
# They apply to both Melee and Ranged attacks, but not to Spells.
# They do not apply to Impale, Dragon Talon, Dragon Tail, Dragon Flight, Sacrifice, or Smite.
# They do work with the Blade Traps.
# Skills that convert Physical damage to a different type (Magic, Fire and Cold Arrows, Lightning Bolt, Fists of Fire, Berserk, Concentrate, and Frenzy (when synergized by Berserk)) do so after DS or CS are applied, so converted damage is doubled.
# They will modify your final Physical damage with Vengeance but have *no* effect on the Elemental damage caused by Vengeance.
# Sources of Deadly Strike stack except from a weapon which is not being used to inflict that particular blow.
# Different types of Critical Strike do *not* stack (e.g. Barbarian Weapon Masteries and Amazon Critical Strike).
# There is no point to having more than a 100% chance of DS/CS.
# Critical Strike and Deadly Strike have the same mechanics and only one of them can trigger on any given attack (so a player can't get quadruple damage)

:arrow: Open Wounds
This is a chance of making a monster bleed uncontrollably. They lose health while bleeding. Open Wounds Items stack in most cases.

Duration: 200 frames (that is 8 seconds).

The damage per frame seems to be the following (where Clvl is the attackers level, that is the player's level usually):

Clvl=1-15: (9*Clvl+31)/256
Clvl=16-30: (18*Clvl-104)/256
Clvl=31-45: (27*Clvl-374)/256
Clvl=46-60: (36*Clvl-779)/256
Clvl=61-99: (45*Clvl-1319)/256

If you prefer per second, just multiply by 25:

Clvl=1-15: 25*(9*Clvl+31)/256
Clvl=16-30: 25*(18*Clvl-104)/256
Clvl=31-45: 25*(27*Clvl-374)/256
Clvl=46-60: 25*(36*Clvl-779)/256
Clvl=61-99: 25*(45*Clvl-1319)/256

Some examples:

Clvl 10: 11.8 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 94.5 damage. Clvl 30: 42.6 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 340.6 damage. Clvl 50: 99.7 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 797.7 damage. Clvl 70: 178.8 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 1430.5 damage. Clvl 90: 266.7 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 2133.6 damage.
(Possibly changed numbers for this mod)
Also, the damage is divided by 4 for a player target. In addition, for a missile versus a player target one should divide the damage by 8 instead.

Finally, versus bosses and champions (could be just bosses or special bosses) the damage is divided by 2.

It is possible to get up to 100% chance for Open Wounds. Anything above 100% is discarded.
:arrow: Ignores Target Defense (Armor Class)
This ability will not work on Unique Monsters, Super Unique Monsters, Hirelings, other players, and Act-end bosses.

What the game does is that set the Defensive Rating of the target to 0. That means it simplifies to:

AR = 100 * 2 * alvl / (alvl + dlvl)

AR = Attack Rating; alvl = Level of Attacker; dlvl = Level of Defender.

The Class Bonus to level of attacker is:

20 for Barbarians and Paladins
15 for Assassins
5 for Amazons and Druids
-10 for Necromancers
-15 for Sorceresses

So there is still an effect of the level difference on the chance to hit and there is still a minimum of 5% and a maximum of 95% chance to hit.
:arrow: Absorption% (Or Absorbs)
Absorb% heals the player - which is equivalent to resistance. If you have 5% Absorb Fire, 5% of the Fire that would hurt heals you instead - roughly equivalent to 10% Resistance. It has a cap of 40%
Straight "Absorbs xx" is not active here so there is no way to heal from elemental damage.

Slow
Slow is treated as the opposite of FCR, FRW, Faster attack speed. Caps include 50% per source vs players/act bosses, and 90% for normal monsters. (sources are slow target, chill, holy freeze ect). In addition there are minimums like attack speed can't be lower then 15% of base animation speed.

:arrow: - Taken from Arreat Summit

Last edited by PureRage-DoD on Mon May 03, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Crushing Blow Mechanics
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 pm 

This looks like a handy topic to sticky. We might want to modify the topic to include details of other special item mods like Deadly Strike and Open Wounds, similar to the "Magic Items" page of Arreat Summit.

Arreat Summit uses different fractions of life being removed, but the comment about how the damage is effectively reduced due to the player count increasing looks right.

My recollection is that the fraction of life removed is based on the monster's current hit points.

Arreat Summit mentioned that the fraction removed by CBlow occurs before your regular damage is dealt.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
(Amp damage works with crushing blow)

Just to elaborate on the Amp dmg part (because it is VERY important); it works by reducing the target's resistance to physical damage and crushing blow is always treated as physical damage.

So lets say you fighting Nightmare Diablo and lets say he has 1,000,000 HP. You land a "crushing blow" to delivery 1/24th of his HP in one shot. You deliver 41,667 dmg in that one blow but it is reduced by the physical resistance the boss has which is 60%. So you have now lost 25,000 damage.

In contrast, if you had used the amplify damage curse to lets say reduce his physical resistance by 40%, bringing him down to only 20% physical resistance you would only lose 8,333 points of damage.

Clearly using some sort of curse that reduces physical damage is of paramount importance when using crushing blow.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:42 pm 

I think Brev said it best here in this thead but there are so many factors that figure in..nice post 8-) For the AMP question yes it does thats why amp is the best curse in the game now to add mass dmg to the target and with Cb is doulble the dmg out put. Its easy to watch if your a melee char doing 20% Cb run a see the dmg your doing then run with a low lvl necro say lvl 1 that put that point into amp or get a lvl 1 amp want amp an attack you will see that the dmg is ether 2 to 3 times its normal rate.
Cb the way i allways seen it with out the math allways hits and is not about the targets hit points its about raw power.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:13 pm 

on the CB+amp thing: Amp only affects CB if the target is phys resistant and amp takes away some of that phys res, and on that subject amp does not affect CB if the targets phys res is negative. now lastly due to a bug with the D2 engine if a player achieves 100% physical damage reduction(percentage not integer) the player then becomes IMMUNE to CB effects

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:20 pm 

SolBadguy wrote:
Amp only affects CB if the target is phys resistant

Every boss in HU has physical resistance, so while this is true it doesn't ever really apply in this mod.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Basic Game Mechanics (Upd 26 Oct 09)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:47 pm 
Game Server Host

Updated to include deadly/critical strike and more

Taken from arreat summit, If anyone has any information on the numbers for open wounds here that would be a big help, as im not sure if the values were changed or not.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm 

On absorbs, I thought you actually take the damage. Then it heals. (you get back a percent of what you lost, twice essentially) I was going to put a link here, but parts of that thread are gone and I had not noticed until now... Maybe it is posted elsewhere...

edit: here found it on BB.

44. How does "Absorb" really work?

The basic idea of absorb is rather simple, it couses portions of attacks that would normally damage you to heal you instead. There are a few points regarding it that cause confusion, however.

* There is a difference between percentage absorb and integer absorb. It is basically the same as the difference between DR% and DR (see section 25). Percentage absorb heals you by a fraction of the damage dealt, while integer absorb heals you by a fixed amount. For item examples we have Blackhorns Face with integer absorb, and Dwarf Star with percentage absorb.
* Absorb does not save you from one-hit KOs. The damage affects your health pool before absorb is applied. If the attack reduces your life to zero, you will die.
* Damage is applied in a predetermined order. It is as follows:
1. XvX penalty (for example Player vs. Player = -5/6)
2. Sorceress Energy Shield
3. Necromancer Bone Armor and/or Druid Cyclone Armor
4. Integer DR/MDR
5. Percentage resists (including DR%)
6. Percentage absorb
7. Integer absorb

# This is relevant, because it helps you decide what type of damage reduction modifier will serve you best. Consult LanderZs damage calculator for further information: http://www.poweradvantage.net/d2dmgcalc.html Percentage absorb can never heal you on its own. It is capped at 40%, meaning that even if you have maximum percentage absorb, you will still take damage. Integer absorb does not suffer from this penalty.
# Absorb actually heals you two times the listed amount both to negate the damage and to heal by the same amount.
# The "magic absorb" modifier found on safety shields and Spirit Runewords (for example) only affects "pure" magical damage, such as the Necromancer bone spells. Elemental damages like Fire damage are not affected. This has been tested by Oramin.

Most of the information used in this thread came from Tommi Gustafsson's site, which is now defunct. Most of its content can now be accessed on b_77's site.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:15 am 

Hello,

Thanks again all for your help on the game mechanics, I would have a request regarding the poisons effect, I remember on the last forum there was a thread on the subject but I couldnt find it and as I'm playing a little a Poison Java and a Poison Necro is it possible to have some informations on the different types of skills please ? :)

Regarding the Open Wounds : is it a little useless if I compare the dot done against the big HP pool of the mobs in HU ?

Cheers,

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 am 
Game Server Host

I can add a section on poisons once i get some time. regarding open wounds, thos numbers may have been changed here, i could do with someone checking the files (im useless with that stuff) to confirm if the numbers were kept the same.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:54 pm 

I remember blue had a big post on poison mechanics years ago. I was actually just looking for it to no avail.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:20 pm 
Game Server Host

it was on the old forums im afraid.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:21 pm 

I wasn't sure if he had saved it either on his website or somewhere else.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Basic Game Mechanics (Upd 20 Feb 10)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm 
Game Server Host

updated to include the new % taken by crushing blow with the reduced spawn and added in slow effect that was previously on the Skill Hidden Bonus topic for some reason

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:43 pm 

does -25% monster defense work on champs and things? what does this modifier do exactly? thanks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:07 am 

I was almost certain ther was an absorb cap? 40 % i seem to think? is this not true?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm 
Game Server Host

@ drithe: it works by reducing the bosses overall defence by 25%, It is not shown on the char screen though so you need to do the math yourself. It works on all enemys including bosses. Ignore targets def wont work on bosses.

The absorb% cap is 40% yeh. My bad, that was from arreat summit whare "Absorbs xx" works (Ie. elemental damage can heal you). That was removed here. Added the 40% cap to original post.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: block?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 am 

when i press "a" = character screen i hover my mouse over defense and i see
this Image

so why i do not see block rate stat on any on my chars?
In case you are wondering..yes i am wearing a shield :geek:
i tested this on necro,pala and druid and all have same problem.
i even tested this on high resolution patch ( this ss was taken on mini res),result is same with the excetion that characted screen on the big patch looks little different, but u probably already know that

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: block?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:29 pm 

you need 16 dexterity invested to get a chance to block dex controls block

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 am 
Game Server Host

Your total block is = ((Block * (Dex - 15)) / (clvl * 2))

total dex needed for max block = ((150 * clvl) / block) + 15

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 pm 

That's good to know, by block do you mean the number listed on the shield? And if you have Holy Shield, when is that added in?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm 
Game Server Host

The "Block" part is your shields base block% (the block a white item version has) + all block% from items/gems/skills. Holy shield just grants regular +%Block. It uses its own generic faster animation is all.
Ie. Using a unique Spirit Ward shield on a barbarian with 2 ether stones in it and 150 Dex at level 99

Basic white ward shield = 25% Block
Spirit Ward adds additional +30% Block
Ether Stone adds additional +20% Block each (+40% total)
Total block =95%

((Block * (Dex - 15)) / (clvl * 2))
Block = 95
Dex -15 = 135
clvl * 2 = 198

(95*135)/198 =64.77% actual block chance.

================
Dex to reach 75% blockusing the above example char and shield/socketables:
((150 * clvl) / block) + 15
(14850/95)+15 = 171.3 Dex required (172)

Edit: Merged last few posts with the mechanics thread, seemed like the best place for it.
Ps. I think this and the skill hidden bonuses could use an update if any other mods get some time before me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:17 pm 
Game Server Host

Updated with mastery% notes

Offline Profile