Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

Post subject: no variation in unique ring drops?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 am 

My character is a level 60 Zealadin in solo edition. So far, I am doing so-so in terms of gear (i did make quite a few mistakes in terms of skills, but I'll see how that turns out in Nightmare and Hell). The one problem I have run into though is with finding good rings. I have about 200 MF, but from the get-go every single unique ring I have found is either a Nagelring or a Manald Heal, regardless of what level I was. No SoJ, no Dwarf Star, no Ravenfrost, or Shock Absorber. The only variation in the unique ring drops was one Cursed Ring that I found in Tristam whilst hunting for a Death's set sash and gloves.

Is this natural, that every unique ring that I have found and identified has been either a Nagelring or a Manald Heal, with about a 60-40 split favoring the former?

I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: no variation in unique ring drops?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 am 

not terribly surprising. SoJs tend to have a fairly low drop rate and dwarf, shock, raven are all lvl54-58 which is basically Act 5.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 am 

Thanks for the quick reply. As nice as it would be to find a unique ring other than the two I mentioned which seem to be turning up everywhere that a unique ring drops, regardless of the act or the mob killed, I guess that I will just keep looking, and hoping that I'll get lucky.

I am also guessing that the chances of gambling a higher level unique ring are very very slim, so my best bet is to probably look on the ground near a boss's corpse :D

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 am 

ya - you generally have a tough time gambling unique rings.

Load up on MF and wander around some areas in A5 and you are likely to have one show up for you. A good 200-400% MF goes a long way in this mod when clearing out random monsters.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:52 am 

Thank you again for the advice :). I'll visit the Frozen Tundra some times in addition to my Nihla runs for runes to make Lawbringer. I know that many people will probably disagree with this, but I'm hoping to come across a battle hammer to make it in, as that is currently the hardest hitting one-handed blunt weapon I can use. (If you have any better suggestions, I would be happy to hear and will definitely consider them).

Of course, I guess that in DPS a faster weapon with less damage per blow may be a better idea, but I'm having a pretty good time with my upped Ironstone.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 am 
Game Server Host

you may wanna make lawbringer in a flail and use it on switch for the decrep then switch to your main weapon to dish out the damage. Thats how i usualy do it anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 pm 

if ur in NM do leoric in tristram he drops jewlery a lot, not sure what hes able to drop in NM though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:34 pm 

NM leo drops dwarfs/shocks/ravens all day.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 pm 

Thank you all for the advice :). PureRage, that's a very good idea to create Lawbringer in a flail (as opposed to the battle hammer I was originally thinking of): coming across a white flail is not a problem at all (i've seen too many of those so far), and the faster swing means more hits, which would mean a better cast rate for decrepify (if that makes any sense).

The 600-1200 elemental damage applied is quite good also, and chances are that the lower physical damage from the flail would mean that if I get cursed with IM whilst using Zeal I won't kill myself instantly. Blinky and Angel, thanks also for the tip on King Leoric. I will definitely visit his "court" to get some new rings.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 pm 
Game Server Host

you can buy a white flail in a2 norm if you need.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:22 am 

On two separate characters, I found Dwarf and Raven (respectively) on two encounters with the Ancients. Also think I found an SoJ somewhere in Nihla's temple, or maybe it was Worldstone Keep; don't remember specifically.

That said, I'm not even sure - can you fight the Ancients more than once in HU? I know you can't in vanilla D2 but I haven't been there enough times in HU to know.

I would definitely go with the flail for Lawbringer, especially in the aim of doing high elemental and low physical against Iron Maiden. Your leech will hurt a bit, but that's what potions are for.

As far as your skills, what did you screw up? As long as you have Holy Shield and Fanat maxed by endgame, I'd say it's salvageable :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:02 pm 

^Thanks for the reassurance. I foolishly put a couple more points than I should have into the elemental auras (i.e. Holy Fire/Shock/Freeze). To be specific, I wasn't thinking much about the endgame, and I was liking the damage that Holy Fire was adding in Act I, so I ended up sinking 3 points into it.

Thinking back on that, that was quite stupid of me. I should have put those points into Sacrifice instead if I really wanted extra damage. But speaking of Lawbringer, I am guessing that you would all recommend a flail (normal version), not a knout (exceptional version)? I can equip the knout no problem, but I am slightly concerned about the ending level requirement.

I don't know if this was a bug, but when I socketed an upped Ironstone with a starstone skull, it pushed the level requirement up to 63. I would rather not have something similar happen with the runeword.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 pm 

It's not often that items are Upped, so I haven't felt like testing, but my memory tells me that when a unique is Upped, the new level requirement is the base item level +8 (46 + 8 = 54 for BattleHammer). However, when you socket a gem into an Upped item, the base level seems to be taken from the gem (55 + 8 = 63). My memory isn't 100% since the last time this occured to me was about 4 years ago, when I upped a rare hat with a level 88 gem in it and it became level 95.

I'm pretty sure this will only apply to an upgraded item, so your runeword item level will be the maximum of the runes and base item level used (43 for Lem in a Knout). Personally I'm a fan of Flails for Lawbringer. If you're not careful, the %ED of Sanctuary can get you IM'd if you use a strong base weapon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 am 

^That's a very good point. So far for dealing with iron maiden, I have been using a ranged weapon (Buriza), but that's not really a viable strategy for nm and hell, as not using a shield is a big defensive loss. So I'll definitely make the weapon in a flail when I get the runes.

So far, I have the Amn and Ko runes.. getting the Lem or rather coming by 3 Fal runes hasn't been easy (in normal difficulty). But as I'm almost done with normal (just need to kill Baal), I am guessing that getting that lem rune will be much easier in NM.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 am 

If you can manage normal Nilathak, then he's probably your best bet for Lem. It might drop on the way to him, or you might cube up some of his rune drops, either way you've got a pretty quick way to Lem (1-10 runs?). The SS gem drop can be very nice too, especially if you're in need of new crafted equipment.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 am 

^Thanks. I've run into another block at Baal's minions (the ones in the Throne of Destruction). For some reason, I can't land a hit on them, even though my attribute screen shows my chance to hit at 95%. I am guessing that it is because they have me virtually stun-locked with their extremely rapid stun attacks. So I'll continue running Nihla until I get the runes for Lawbringer, which may be my trump card against Baal and his minions. Hopefully I'll be able to get some Ko and Fal runes, as the Buriza I have on switch (for dealing with things that cast IM) does more damage than my main weapon, heh.

I presume that situations like dealing with Baal's minions are where FHR comes in handy? I never paid much attention to it, as I was more concerned with elemental resistances and percent damage reduction, whenever I could get it, although resists took top priority. Some of those spells can hurt a lot if you don't have good resists. I ought to pick up some FHR gear for the minions, but please don't mention just yet what surprises Baal has this time around.

I have a feeling that he won't be a pushover like in the vanilla game, as Mephisto and especially Diablo were truly deserving of theit titles as Prime Evils.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 pm 

In SP I had the same problem except I couldn't find manald rings only nagel's were dropping. I wasn't able to figure it out and no one seemed to be able to help.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:27 pm 

^Did your problem persist past Normal difficulty? I haven't reached nightmare yet (almost there), but I am sure that something else will drop besides nagelring or manald.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 pm 

i never played past norm just switched to multiplayer

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:04 am 

I can see why ;). Thankfully, my luck seems to have improved, as I got both Dwarf Star and Shock Absorber from the Guardian. Both are a vast improvement over the innumerable nagel and manalds I kept getting.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It's a long battle through the Worldstone Keep, Rift of Dimension, Guardian's Rift, Castle of Destruction, and Throne of Destruction just to reach Baal. It makes one feel as if one si truly descending to the center of the world I hope to get time to do that later today, as there are unfortunately no waypoints after WK level 2.

I might consider switching to multiplayer, but I guess that the longer I wait, that becomes a less viable option, as there will be even fewer people to play with then.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:03 pm 

Severus wrote:
I might consider switching to multiplayer, but I guess that the longer I wait, that becomes a less viable option, as there will be even fewer people to play with then.

Not quite. People use to remake chars for fun, or just because they wanna try other builds, so unless you wait till servers shut down, you will encounter players everytime, specially in SC

( hard to find parties in HC sometimes ^^ )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 am 

I'll definitely consider that. I have never played HC; not really interested in it. Not because I don't like a challenge, but simply because it is too easy to die due to reasons beyond your control (i.e. lag, glitches, etc.).

I applaud those who manage to reach high levels and Hell difficulty in HC, though.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:47 pm 

I use the upped Ironstone too! i like it.. noticed the level 63 thing too! Rings is annoying.. constant manalds and nagels in act 5 =[

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 pm 

My luck changed at the Guardian, the boss in the Guardian's Rift. Shock Absorber can easily replace your nagelring for MF while providing some useful resist and absorbs.

I would ignore the Arch-Lich at the end of the dimensional cleft, as he isn't a real boss (just a very annoying super-unique), and his drops are often not worth the effort to kill him.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:07 am 

Is it possible for a unique to drop more then once in a game?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:45 am 

yea that arach is a pain man.. hes scared :P doesnt wanna go toe to toe with you does he haha. not like worldstone titan ;]

The same unique zorax?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:02 am 

Yes, 2 manalds (or whatever other unique) in 1 game. Can that happen?

I thought that in regular d2 a unique only spawns once in a game, hence the term "unique".

Is it changed in HU so that 1 particular unique item can be dropped multiple times?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:44 am 

Ive never had 2 of the same unique drop in game no, i doubt it... but dont quote me on it!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm 

Zorax wrote:
I thought that in regular d2 a unique only spawns once in a game, hence the term "unique".

Thats bullshit.

The term "unique" comes from the unique and specifical name for that item, and his specifical stats, which will never change unless we are talking about the range and effectiveness of the pre-stablished stats, hence uniqueness of the item ( yellow - rare - items have random names. )

In regular d2, and here, all uniques can drop twice, three times, 100 times in the same game...

Last edited by tonykantos on Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:18 pm 

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/uniquebasics.shtml wrote:
the same Unique will not drop more than once in each game from Monsters or Chests.

Not sure if blizzard later patched this or not or if Soulmancer has changed it. I sort of feel like I have seen the same unique drop twice in a game on HU, but to be perfectly honest I am not entirely certain. There was most certainly some point in the game where a unique was indeed a unique occurrence though

TonyKantos is this another aspect of you "trolling" or just you displaying a lack of understanding? I have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
TonyKantos is this another aspect of you "trolling" or just you displaying a lack of understanding? I have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

Where's the lack of understanding? If he states "items are unique because only drop once at a game", thats not true at all, and I tell him why are they called "unique items".

Where's the misunderstand? I also answered this question:

Zorax wrote:
Is it possible for a unique to drop more then once in a game?

Maybe its you who should read more carefully :shock:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 pm 

tonykantos wrote:
blue_myriddn wrote:

Where's the lack of understanding? If he states "items are unique because only drop once at a game", thats not true at all, and I tell him why are they called "unique items".

Where's the misunderstand?

And you know this is the origin of their name because?
And this provides value to the discussion because?
Are you sure that uniques drop repeatedly in the game?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:30 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:

1: When I bought original diablo2, the guide itself said that. Check it yourself , at the "items" section
2: I think YES it does, dont you think so?
3: I've seen a fucking shitload of dwarfstars dropping repeteadly in a same game both in vanilla and here in HU. Thats one of the uniques I've seen so far mass dropping constantly. Heavenly garb is also awfuly commom, and tends to drop twice or three times per mf run ( at least ).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:42 pm 

tonykantos wrote:
1: When I bought original diablo2, the guide itself said that. Check it yourself , at the "items" section

How long ago was it that you bought it. As you may have noticed from my quoting of the blizzard website, uniques were designed to drop once per game. This has also been confirmed through developer chats over the years. Whether it was changed in some patch I don't know (as I indicated), although I suspect that it hasn't been changed on vanilla b.net as the folks over at the Arreat Summit do a pretty good job with updates.

tonykantos wrote:

Clearly I didn't and still don't. Which is why I will bow out of this discussion and let you ramble on if you so choose.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:42 pm 

Unless SM changed it, and I highly doubt that, a unique can only drop once per game. It if drops again it becomes a rare with triple durability.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 pm 
Game Server Host

that is correct.

I know because I have been farting about with my own mini mod for a while now. To check if a unique has the correct stats, you force it to drop from norm fallens on every drop.Ifyou kill one, the unique drops and you can quickly check if its how you want it. If you kill any more fallens they all drop the same item type, but rare.(this is also true of jewelery)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:06 pm 

Well a bit of history for you noobs. When the game first came out, uniques were unique, if someone had one in the game it would not spawn again. Also in order for an SoJ to drop you needed to have two unique rings already in your inventory (forget the names manald and nagel I think).

We used to have to ask players in the game if they had the item already if we were looking for it. People would quit games sometimes if someone already had the item. I have no idea when this was changed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 pm 

tonykantos wrote:
blue_myriddn wrote:

3: I've seen a fucking shitload of dwarfstars dropping repeteadly in a same game both in vanilla and here in HU. Thats one of the uniques I've seen so far mass dropping constantly. Heavenly garb is also awfuly commom, and tends to drop twice or three times per mf run ( at least ).

He knows he's just being an idiot.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 pm 

either way i skimmed thread I dunno if this is what your talking about

more than one particular unique can drop per game since like patch 1.05

the reason why is because it used to be only one per game so people would drop their nagel/manalds/ravenfrosts and then obviously the next ring to drop from a boss would be soj because thats the only option left.. so it just ended up being abused therefore blizzard made the change.... its evident I found 2 tyraels off a baal minion at one time :P

Offline Profile