Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:27 pm

Post subject: whirlwind assassin viable?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 pm 

seems like a really cool build, dunno if its viable though, you'd need mass +skill gear to pump whirlwind damage up + you woundt have the HP/def of a barb/pally/druid D: .

i rekkon chaos claws should be +5 whirlwind, or have some sort of +asassin skills or some +resists.

anyways, what cha think?

-edit

im thinking
20 claw mastry
20 venom
10 burst of speed
10 wepon block
10 fade IF (if i can have venom/burst of speed/fade on at the same time.)
i dunno where to stick other points lol, whats shadow master like as a tank in hell? should i stick any in finishers/charge ups?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: whirlwind assassin viable?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:21 pm 

Well, venom is absolutely awful against monsters in d2, don't see why it would be better here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:42 pm 

oh aye, was thinking with cloak of shadows it would own so hard

bleh

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:42 pm 

marelic wrote:
oh aye, was thinking with cloak of shadows it would own so hard

bleh

I don't know, even if you got full pierce would it honestly do that much damage? I doubt it. Assassins are very fragile and you have to constantly reapply it, so it's dangerous to run.

Another con is CoS is ANNOYING.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:26 pm 

Angel wrote:
Assassins are very fragile

4 life per vitality, two recastable tanks, practically curse immune, and a skill that gives +1% DR per soft point is fragile? You should probably actually play a class before you try to give advice about it.

Whirlwind sin has been done, but it's not a great build. It takes a lot of gear and a lot of wealth to get Venom up to a decent (not even good) amount of damage. Still, it can be done.

Fade, Venom, and Burst of Speed can all be active at once. I wouldn't put more than 1 in BoS, as it has diminishing returns and you will be focusing on +Shadow gear anyway. Maxing Fade is great, it gives +1% DR per soft point in the skill. Maxing Blade Shield is a decent place to drop points (atm WWsin is pretty much a 60pt build) because it allows you to leech more.

Also, if you download the edits (can't remember the link) you can put Cloak of Shadows on left click. This can enable your Shadow Warrior to spam CoS for you. One thing you should know about CoS is that it doesn't work on bosses and some bigger mobs, so it kind of gets shafted.

edit: Drrod sux.

Last edited by Abominae on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:26 pm 

Angel wrote:
I don't know, even if you got full pierce would it honestly do that much damage? I doubt it. Assassins are very fragile and you have to constantly reapply it, so it's dangerous to run.

Another con is CoS is ANNOYING.

Pierce is the major problem with venom. I dunno where you get sins being fragile from, they're far from it. One of the best tankers around these days providing you have a life buff or two. CoS is easily kept up using shadow warrior and keeping CoS on left/right click.

WW sins can work, but you have to really gear the shit out of them. 18k venom with 90ish passive pierce and CoS was killing most tundra mobs in one hit in a 4 player game. If you want to be any good vs sub bosses/act bosses you'll have to put together a CB setup and use Bfury.

I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone that isn't without a lot of extra shadow skillers and poison facets. They're pretty much a novelty build, but oh so very fun to play.

My build was something like:
20 claw mastery
20 venom
20 fade
20 blade shield
1pt d sentry/dflight(you can save these points if you manage to find a decent claw with dsentry/dflight on em)
rest into shadow warrior

edit:nigga stole my post

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:22 pm 
Game Server Host

angel, drrod and abominae summed it up. sins make an amazing tank class if they are equipped and played right. Easy max dr, res and clawblock that will block spells too can be a pain at times though). It takes time to get to know the class well enough to get the most out of them though.

My wwsin build was
20 venom, claw mastery, fade, death sentry
1 bladeshield and pre reqs and up to d flight
rest into shadow master.

All you had to do was cast CoS (or let the shadow do it). drop a death sentry or 2, ww through till the first 3 or 4 died, then move onto the next group while death sentry cleared the rest of the screen for me.

For bosses it was usualy a cb setup with blades and venom. sometimes I would ww for fun or if i was soloing a certain boss. The biggest problem was AR. I used ameths in my main hand for the ar boost with chaos on the off hand. It can work from start to finish but it required patience and some strange equip options. I wont get into what I used the whole way through because her equip changed almost at every wp as she was pretty much untwinked but it can work with patience. You will have most fun with a tank char running with you like a barb/druid.

Merc wise I used a2 might to help my phys damage so I could leech well. later I put holy crft gloves and some faith javs on him. That really helped the AR and with CoS active it wasn't too bad.

As drrod says, its a seriously fun build, if not the most fun build i have played here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:58 pm 

Bleh sounds like alot of gear switching and wealth required.

thanks fgor replies

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:06 pm 

Quote:
4 life per vitality, two recastable tanks, practically curse immune, and a skill that gives +1% DR per soft point is fragile? You should probably actually play a class before you try to give advice about it.

I have an assassin.
She gets smashed by bosses.
She has max DR.
She has 7k health without BO/oak.

I haven't played a wwsin in HU, but I did say that did I not? I've played WWsins through-out most of my time playing diablo 2, being an avid dueler, and in normal diablo they just weren't capable of killing things in PvE.

Some points:
-DR isn't hard to get.
-High health isn't hard to get.
-Leeching enough with a venom build is hard.
-Keeping yourself from insta-dying to IM is hard when triwhirling/wwing at all.

Also, if you don't think CoS is annoying, it's because you run nightlight and don't even know it has an effect.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:22 pm 
Game Server Host

Angel wrote:
Quote:

I have an assassin.
She gets smashed by bosses.
She has max DR.
She has 7k health without BO/oak.

I haven't played a wwsin in HU, but I did say that did I not? I've played WWsins through-out most of my time playing diablo 2, being an avid dueler, and in normal diablo they just weren't capable of killing things in PvE.

Some points:
-DR isn't hard to get. - True but a sin has no need to get dr% from equip so they are open to using caster gear like templars etc. to increase posion damage while another build needs to devote to reducing incoming damage.
-High health isn't hard to get. - depends on the build
-Leeching enough with a venom build is hard. true again but see below
-Keeping yourself from insta-dying to IM is hard when triwhirling/wwing at all. - Its easy to get curse immune on a sin so you don't need to worry about IM. If you are not curse immune you can use blades.

Also, if you don't think CoS is annoying, it's because you run nightlight and don't even know it has an effect. - client side edits reduce CoS dark effect to 1 second

with the statements you are making above, why is your sin getting steamrolled by bosses? I have tanked most nm act end bosses with no lifebuffs on a sorc and have tanked an ancients while I watched a barb and druid running around like headless chickens this season alone. I have seen multiple sins tank bosses with and without lifebuffs. They are on par with pally's for tankability now and can rival a barb on that front.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:23 am 

ok so gear wise im thinking
blood runeword
chaos runeword
andys helm
rings with +1 skill and leech etc
wot ammy? atmas?
bramble runeword armor? (i dont know if +poison skill damage applies to venom)
gloves, boots, belt, etc?

also wot kinda claws should i be looking for to make the runewords in them, and wot kinda skills should they have. Currently i found a suyawhah with 7% ED and +3 fade, or should i try get +3 venom?

also upon reading teh forums, do ww sins have attack rating issues?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 am 

claws for rw: scissor suwayyah
( elite scissor katar )

suwayyah is the elite katar, and it has quite lower dmg that the scissor one, so try to find a scissor. any added skill you will use will be useful ( added fade , maybe Venom if you can find one )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:18 am 
Game Server Host

+poison skill% works very vell with venom as it is applied twice. It is added to the initial cast, so with 10k venom and a 25% bramble you will get 12.5k venom then that 12.5k on weapon venom will get the 25% bonus AFTER it is cast and active on the weapon. so another 25% of the 12.5k so 15.625k venom. In effect, any +% is more than doubled with venom since it is applied twice.

You will be better off with chaos and a unique claw with amethysts for ar. They do suffer from ar problems so amethysts really help.
You should make "pestilance" runeword in a +3 venom claw to use on switch with another prebuff venom claw (firelizards are good later on for this) for +7 venom from pestilance. put tal runes in your unique prebuff claw to buff your initial cast. It wont effect the on weapon venom damage after the cast as you will switch weapons to your chaos claws and whetever else you choose.

Elemental craft rings with sin skills will be really good for prebuffing and if you manage to get sin skills with 10% poison damage you may want to stick with that and a good blood craft. 20% elemental craft boots will make a decent impact. You can always use them as part of a prebuff setup and switch out to something more melee oriented like gores or even waterwalks if you need the cbf etc. Gloves would be blood crafts as the attack set and + skills like hellmouth for prebuffing, belt should be arachnids mesh for the + massive buff to venom. You can always switch it for a nos coil etc after you cast.

The point is you will need a prebuff setup and an attacking setup with you at all times. I used to carry my prebuff setup in the cube with me, you only need to cast once in a blue moon so spending 30 secs switching, casting and switching back for an extra 5ishk venom is no problem.

Claws for runewords are really your own choice, I went for claws with +3 death sentry and +2 weapon block. It just depends on what skills you really want to boost. Your equip will be mostly shadow skills oriented so claws with non shadow skills that you may find usefull will be abit better for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:56 am 

this ladder i started with a ww sin ( rly bad idea it was ) cos i red DoD's last ladder sin build and was very excited, on bnet i had a fully perf hybrid sin so i was in love with her. So i was pretty lucky even found at nm rive of fire an ohm rune, so i could make myslef a chaos pretty fast.
After i got to lvl 94 i had everything i could need .. templars full of facets ( still have it somewhere ) and such. but it wasnt fun at all, i could do decent dmg to mobs but not to rly slaughter them while i saw other ppl killing around everything. like i said its totally the build that DoD mentioned. Maybe the problem is that u need even better items, i wouldnt recommend her to players who have less nerves and dont have all the items they desired in the game. Otherwise u will make the same as i did .. shes a mule now.

If u still wana make her, feel free to pm me for getting some of the items i have still, such as eth scissor suw blood rw and others.

Offline Profile