Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

Post subject: Questions about fire trapper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm 

If the following questions have been asked a thousand times already, I wouldn't mind someone just posting the link.

1. The damage I have listed for wake of fire is 2000-3000, and it says it shoots five times. Also, you can have a maximum of 5 traps out. My question is, is this a dps attack or are mobs taking the 2000-3500 per wave? I'm assuming this isjust per-wave attack, but I could be wrong.

2. If the said trap is working with per-wave instead of just dps, how many frames is it getting?

By the way, this is the first "caster" I've ever made. I'm enjoying the heck out of her, although unfortunately with forced synergies I feel like I'm just a one-trick pony, and virtually useless against bosses. Wake of fire does virtually nothing, even to mini bosses. Wake of inferno deals decent damage, but causes massive counters. Obliterating trash though.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Questions about fire trapper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:29 pm 

Got no answer on the first two questions but when it comes to bosses, fire blast is the key. Hell, I even soloed up to and including normal Baal on hc on a firetrapper last season (I did have bo though and used another char for the fire minion ofc).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 pm 

I can't tell you with exact certainty on question number one, but in my experience that lists your damage per wave. I don't know why it would list it any other way.

Also, my 10k wave clears Tundra nicely. 10k isn't the biggest number in the world, so I believe that also helps to testify it's 10k damage per wave.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 pm 

I've taken a look at Skills.txt, and Missles.txt (they're heavily related for any skills that require movement, like FWall, ArcticBlast, and WakeOfFire). I'm not completely sure of what I found, but here are some educated guesses that I'm willing to bet on.

Wake of Fire is not a dps fire spell, it hits once every 4 frames. Due to it's slow speed, it's almost certainly hitting larger critters more than once with each wave. Each WoF Sentry will shoot 5 waves before it dissapears. With 5 traps out, and with each one shooting a wave that probably hits twice, you're likely looking at 10x (2k to 3k) or 20k to 30k dmg per volley. Personally I think that interpretation explains well some of the damage we've seen from WoFire.

Have you ever noticed "Extra Fast" critters being able to get adjacent to you while others die too early? It might be because they're fast enough to avoid taking a second hit. Have you seen large creatures like Yeti dying faster than smaller ones, like SpearWomen?

One oddity in the files that I con't figure out is a "Damage Rate" column. Wake of Fire is unique in that it's Damage Rage of "205" is five times larger than the typical value of "41". The next closest Damage Rate is "82" which exists for only a few spells, like the inferno used by A4 Megademons, sorc Inferno, and Diablo's Lightning.

One neat thing I noticed, is that Diablo's Lightning appears to have a next-hit of 3, which is probably why it seems to do more damage than his fire (next-hit of 4).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:02 am 

Wow, thanks for all the useful information guys. And I did notice it's killing larger creatures faster. I'm not sure about your math though, I was thinking the way it reads is I'd be doing 5(2-3k) x 5 separate traps, which is much different than 10(2-3k) but yeah, either way it is wrecking some creatures. Been difficult staying alive so I had to 1 point mind blast for conversion until my merc can actually start handling some of them. So then it is a 6. something frame attack? Thanls for the research Blue.

One more question while I'm here. Some say rubies in claws for the - to enemy fire res does not good for traps, others say it doesn no good for traps EXCEPT wake of fire and the lighting counterpar, any idea?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:50 am 

What I think (this is only based on experience playing her, no .txts or pure tests), is that Wake of Fire and ofc Fire Blast indeed get the -enemy res while the Inferno trap won't get it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 am 

Utter wrote:
What I think (this is only based on experience playing her, no .txts or pure tests), is that Wake of Fire and ofc Fire Blast indeed get the -enemy res while the Inferno trap won't get it.

I can't speak for WoI (as I never once used it outside of novelty), but I've had the same experience with Fire Blast and WoF. I don't imagine I'd be doing much killing if my -res didn't work at all. There is absolutely no reason Fireblast would not benefit from -res, as far as why WoF does or WoI doesn't I can't tell you. Possibly a scripting oversight when it came to WoI, who knows.

A lot of people who give out information have never really played the build in question, and that's where bad information gets spread out across the game. Theorycrafting, while useful in some aspects, normally doesn't provide a true outlook on the performance of a build or certain aspects of it.

Offline Profile