Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

Post subject: Act 4 problems
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 pm 

I have a lvl 54 Zealer and I absolutly can not kill Moloch, Infector of Souls. (The guy on the right in the chaos sanctuary that has poisen) I have tried MANY times with various gear and I cant seem to kill him... Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Act 4 problems
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 pm 

solo version or multiplayer?

He is designed to be extremely unfriendly to melee attacks, so it isn't surprising that you are having problems. Have you tried a search in this forum on the word "moloch"?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm 

No i havent tried seraching that as im new to this game i wasnt entirely sure how to use this site either... Im playing in solo. The im gets me with zeal a lot but i have many healing potions and i can get him to about half health and i somehow die everytime... Ive been trying to kill him constantly for 5 days now... I have been trying to use amp but he gets rid of the curse quickly. I have also tried using smite as well but it seems to take soooo long and i still die...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 pm 

Eclipse35 wrote:
No i havent tried seraching that as im new to this game i wasnt entirely sure how to use this site either... Im playing in solo. The im gets me with zeal a lot but i have many healing potions and i can get him to about half health and i somehow die everytime... Ive been trying to kill him constantly for 5 days now... I have been trying to use amp but he gets rid of the curse quickly. I have also tried using smite as well but it seems to take soooo long and i still die...

your smite needs CB, or else it wont be very useful. but smite will help you with IM, which is a big problem of his, especially for your zealot.

maces can get CB. ruby crafted gloves get CB. goblin toes have CB.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 pm 

Yeah i do know that, I have butchers cleave with 33 % CB some crafted gloves goblin toe and an armor and helm with CB also using the unique spiked shield which has good attributes for smiters and yet I still die... I only have 550 max dmg with smite

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 pm 

Eclipse35 wrote:
Yeah i do know that, I have butchers cleave with 33 % CB some crafted gloves goblin toe and an armor and helm with CB also using the unique spiked shield which has good attributes for smiters and yet I still die... I only have 550 max dmg with smite

butchers cleave has no CB. that 33% is open wounds or deadly strike.

the only thing that spiked shield will help for is amplify damage, and its level 1 which wont be doing much.

the damage from smite wont matter... you can take out bosses in hell with a 500 damage smite. its all about CB and amp.

are you carrying rejuvination potions with you?

Last edited by muleofal on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm 

This thread has a pretty good discussion on it:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=787&hilit=moloch

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:17 pm 
Game Server Host

Cb is not so easy to get in chunks in normal so your options are rather limited. You really want a way to lower his phys res. Charges are of limited use here due to his curse resistance. That leaves ctc items. Decrep works just fine in normal as not many bosses have over 33 phys res (The act end bosses all have 33 phys res in norm iirc) Lawbringer is probs your best bet here. Used along with smite you will always have him cursed. The duration is good and the ctc is good too. that however means you lose any cd from the weapon.

Decrep will be better against him though as you will be lowering incoming damage by 33%. goblin toe boots, blood craft gloves and maybe even rattle cage will be your best bet. Use a paladin shield (holy cross) with skulls in it. As long as you can keep your poison res maxed you are ok. Switch to walk remember so you keep your def. His poison is harsh but his physical damage is also pretty nasty, decrep will help with both though.

once you start the fight go right at him, give it 30 secs or so and if he is stacking alot of poison matts move back a screen or so to limit the damage being dealt through them. Lower resist is the biggest killer here if you are using a low damage smite so you will want to stack your poison res by 50+
You may even want to put an emerald in your shield (even 2 if you have a string of ears on too) that should enable you to take the majority of his hits.

Get a full belt of juvs and another 5-10 dropped on the ground. Fill your cube with reds and drop them too so you have a backup plan. reds will probs be all you need tbh as his damage should only be trickling in.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 am 

In solo edition, moloch normal is easier than that all:

Equip a rogue properly
crafted death eth bow ( the best you can do ) works fine, if not, go on vidalas for the ctc amp ( no, thats not for you, you will do nothing ), try to max and sox the equip so she gets a cute dmg ( jewels with +x to max dmg works good )

Be sure that when spawning Moloch, your rogue is far away from his hateful psn dmg and carrion vines, I will upload some "paint rage selfmade icons" to show you ^^.

Lure him into you, remember to walk with your holy shield always on =). Equip death gloves. If you dont have good rare/crafted armor and helm to sox em, equip sigon armor and helm, and put 3 x perfect diamonds on both.

If you are lvl 55 ( I doubt that ), go on 3 x SS diamonds .

Stay infront of him, and let your rogue kill. do nothing except assisting with aura and healing your rogue and yourself with pots constantly. Since mercs do full dmg to bosses on single player ( its like they pierce all kind of resistances... somehow weird and OP ), the fight wont last more than 2 minutes.

No risk at all, but if you are bored, go smite a lil bit ;)

edit:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 am 

awesome diagram! that is too cool!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 pm 
Game Server Host

may aswell be smiting him and dealing crushing blows while he is bashing away at you. With such low smite damage you wont be effected by IM enough to notice.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:03 am 

What I generally do to kill the bosses in chaos is to put as many as potions into a cube and inventory. Before opening seal, drop the cube. That will drop almost all potions on ground from cube instantly in order to make sure the character has enough potions to deal with bosses (if still not enough, do it several times before opening seal).

To deal with the boss you mentioned, you have to avoid standing on vines and dodge poison cloud and unholy bolts which cause huge damage to you. You can't just stand and keep hitting him without dodge his attack.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:29 am 

d2_fan wrote:

To deal with the boss you mentioned, you have to avoid standing on vines and dodge poison cloud and unholy bolts which cause huge damage to you. You can't just stand and keep hitting him without dodge his attack.

if you did any reading of this thread, you would know he is a melee character and needs to be up close to hit him. theres no chance he avoids everything. in fact, him running around to dodge attacks is probably worse off. moloch will end up hitting him anyway while he runs away like a chicken and deals no damage. its not like moloch or his vine will sit around doing nothing...theyre gonna chase you until they get their hands on you.

he needs to take the advice that multiple people gave him: crushing blow, get rid of that shield and get a defensive shield option, get a good amount of rejuvs (at least a belt if you really feel necessary), and he can stand in front of the boss all he wants. theres no reason at level 54 as a character like his that he should be having this much trouble at this boss unless he doesnt have the right gear, he didnt build his character well, or he isnt using a good strategy. he is doable at that level solo on the multiplayer version, and from the posts, it looks like he is in the single player version, which makes it even easier.

usually with a more durable character (like a melee paladin), i never notice his damage as being huge at all. his main killer for melees is his IM, and a weak smite with amp/CB should take care of that. the suggestion of decrepify on lawbringer is also a really good idea, since it has a similar effect of a low level amp as well as reducing his spell damage and movement speeds. decrep will actually make you survive for longer.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:08 am 

muleofal wrote:
d2_fan wrote:

if you did any reading of this thread, you would know he is a melee character and needs to be up close to hit him. theres no chance he avoids everything. in fact, him running around to dodge attacks is probably worse off. moloch will end up hitting him anyway while he runs away like a chicken and deals no damage. its not like moloch or his vine will sit around doing nothing...theyre gonna chase you until they get their hands on you.

he needs to take the advice that multiple people gave him: crushing blow, get rid of that shield and get a defensive shield option, get a good amount of rejuvs (at least a belt if you really feel necessary), and he can stand in front of the boss all he wants. theres no reason at level 54 as a character like his that he should be having this much trouble at this boss unless he doesnt have the right gear, he didnt build his character well, or he isnt using a good strategy. he is doable at that level solo on the multiplayer version, and from the posts, it looks like he is in the single player version, which makes it even easier.

usually with a more durable character (like a melee paladin), i never notice his damage as being huge at all. his main killer for melees is his IM, and a weak smite with amp/CB should take care of that. the suggestion of decrepify on lawbringer is also a really good idea, since it has a similar effect of a low level amp as well as reducing his spell damage and movement speeds. decrep will actually make you survive for longer.

I said so because I have vengence pally and I am able to solo this boss although it's tough.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:05 am 
Game Server Host

It would go alot faster and easier if you used smite instead of just running around letting your merc attack him. Holding him in place and dealing cb is your job, it also makes your merc less likely to bite the bullet.

Offline Profile