Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:13 am

Post subject: Pure Support Necro
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm 

We all know there are support characters in HU, we've got our Healadins, Chanters, BOs, etc. And as all necros know, we occasionally fall into the place of the amp bitch on bosses. So I thought, wouldn't it be interesting to make a pure support necro? One who isn't meant to kill in a specific way, but to help a party kill? Interestingly enough, a pure support necro can also help fill in other roles as well as they already have the skills that are hardest to obtain on a different class; curses.

For skills he would have:
20 Bone Armor for surivability
20 in Amp, because, even with diminishing returns, you'll have the best amp around.
6 more in the rest of the main curses.
20 in Swords for bosses.
Now how do you fill out the rest of the points? Golems or Skellies are an option, or maybe even DK for it's party support. It's all your choice.

So now you've got a good curse backing, now to grab stuff from other support builds:

Insight is readily available for Meditation, Holy crafts are available for other auras, a good holy craft shield will get you smite, vigor on the shoes, etc.

CoA will get you BO and you'll be able to keep it up as your really not doing much else.

Hell if you want more, some other support skills are always readily available on other items, just pick an choose.

Of course you're going to need people to help you out while you level, and when you get to bosses and hard areas, they'll be glad to have you. Hell you could even amp baal a full screen away, as your amp will be the best around. You will need some money to fully gear the character, and it will take tweaking to get good well rounded support all around.

Anyhoo, this is just an idea of mine. I'd love to test it out sometime, but I am enjoying my Bone Necro too much right now, but if he happens to die in HC, I'll try this one out.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Pure Support Necro
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 pm 

golems/summons are usually of preference. im a fan of the slow from the clay golem. a slow boss wont be doing much

skeletons seem to just cause counters on bosses, thus making your summons/party suffer more.

CE, even 1 point is effective. it would help with trash killing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm 

CE is nice if you can manage a few points, unless you can get crowds to walk on the dead body (or you have +skills!).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm 

Insight, Immortal flesh, Leviathan, Disciple hands(10hb), Wisp and Carrion, Dream in head, Blade Shield for massive oskills/tanks/healing/auras.

Edit: nvm, no need cleansing effect from leviathan while sob is up.
Edit2: Arkaine's Valor for 10 MB, just in case.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:56 pm 

Not that I support this build, because I find it silly to turn a well-balanced support character into a pure support character that can't do anything a Summon Necro can't... but... I do respect wanting to do something different.

I'd suggest Faith Javelins. They'd probably be more beneficial to a party than Insight would be. You could run Insight on a mercenary if you really wanted to, and most builds that have mana problems already do. Plus, A2 prayer merc with Insight's heal is sort of respectable, and would be a bit better.

I also want to suggest maxing Golem Mastery and Clay Golem. You should probably test maxing Clay Golem first, because I don't know how well the returns on life & %slowed would be, but it might be worth it. The %slowed on Clay Golem can be a real help on bosses.

Definitely use a Wisp, as a SoB bitch is something I absolutely adore.

I'd like to suggest more, but I really don't see much. The problem I see with this is it's just sort of a waste. A Summon Necro can pretty much do all you want, as far as Clay Golem for slow %, Faith Javs, and of course Amp without standing around being useless. If anything, you'd support your party more by being able to actually kill some trash and move things along.

Offline Profile