Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 pm

Post subject: Frostbite Druid Alternative
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm 

I reviewed PureRage's Frostbite build (here) and figured it was worth playing with as I've never really used Werebears much in my Diablo experience.

I'm playing with my girlfriend, who rolled a WW barb (so yeah, we're going to have massive amounts of life for a single player duo). I figured I could deal the elemental damage while she goes pure physical. However, I am a bit torn on the build - I don't know if I want to go pure Frostbite (max Hurricane, Frostbite and another synergy like Cyclone armor) or just max Hurricane and FB and use the other 20 points to max Maul, Werebear (for defense) or Grizzly.

Also, I gathered Tancred's full set, and we're currently in Act 4 normal. I'm starting to think about swapping out the set, but I'm questioning what gear I should try for. I have a Rockfleece, which I figured is a good bet for any melee class, and was pondering a Blood or Death weapon craft (what base weapon is a good idea for a druid?). Helm wise, I would hope to find Mountain Range, and I guess boots/ammy could go a couple ways (I have a set of tri res boots, Waterwalks would be nice).

Anyways, I would appreciate any input, as always.

Cheers!

-BaTz

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Frostbite Druid Alternative
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:49 pm 
Game Server Host

You really want to use a death craft exceptional great axe (forget the name). Larzuk sells them in act 5 and they look huge, they are very fast for a shifter. Obviously you will need a starstone skull for that. You can always gamble an exceptional weapon. Fill it with amethysts as always with a frostbiter. Waterwalk boots are very nice to use if you get lucky enough. you can always use goblin toes (cb and a little PDR and MDR) rockfleech is a nice armour for that level but you may want to consider a crafted armour with 4 diamonds (perf or better) for normal this will make a massive impact on your survivability and you will take next to no damage. The level 40 druid helm is great at that stage, again Diamonds all the way as you already have 2 life buffs. Jewelery wise, blood craft rings as always on a melee and you will want an all resist amulet as your res will be lacking with the setup above. shaftstop once you hit NM and orphans set if you can find it. with diamonds or a topaz, saphire and ruby in the shield. String of ears and some blood craft gloves. That will take your dr% very high and give you some absorbs at all times.

With that setup you will need a good 1 handed weapon. I would suggest a death craft dimentional blade or an exceptional war scepter (forget the name again) with amethysts in as always.

Your phys damage will never be that great since you will want amethysts in the weapon for maximum speed and ar. hence the damage reducing equip to negate most incoming damage.

Without both synergies maxed your fbite damage wont be that great later. Since + skills equip is mainly on caster equip your skill level wont be super high so you really need every synergie point you can gather. If you did go the bear or maul route you are also at risk from Iron Maiden. The key is really to keep your phys damage down and deal lots of cold damage very fast. Having low phys damage limits your lifeleech but if you charge feral and maul (just 1 pointers) you will be fine against the majority of stuff.

Would be good if you would keep us posted on your progress. It sounds like a very solid duo you have so things should go well for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:00 pm 

doesnt a gris caddy stacked with uber thysts hit 2fpa on frostbite? im not entirely sure, id check the calculator. in either case, your weapon should have stacked uber amethysts for end game, because you will need the speed to dish out the damage quickly and the AR to actually hit. go with a craft as mentioned by rage, or any eth weapon works well too. since shifters only gain on-weapon ias (any ias from a non-weapon source has some funky way of working and pretty much is like having 0), all your speed must come from that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:16 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh gris caddy needs 207ias to hit 2fpa. Theres a vid on that guide with him at 2fpa and it is a pretty insane speed. I forgot to mention switching to 2 perf eyes of frost later for the pierce and extra damage. Later into the game getting passive pierce is key.

Other weapons can hit 2fpa, crafted phase blades with and 4 uber ameths will hit 2fpa for example (if you get a good speed to roll on it. I think its 90 ias you need on a phase blade. a crafted caddy will need 87Ias before gems to hit 2fpa.

However, gris' caddy is alot better since it has added benefits of nice leech and another socket for an ameth. that means you get even more AR since you have an extra uber in it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am 

For now (Act 4) I went with a normal Great Axe and still ended up with a weapon better than Tancred's (first roll, too). As for crafted armor, what would you recommend? Is it worth doing Holy now for the Sanctuary aura? And what would be my best bet for finding Mountain Range? I'm using a Caster craft at the moment to get mana leech and some more mana, then I socketed it with a flawless skull (to counter my weapon) and some runes for resists. Still using Tancred's amulet for the DR/MDR, along with 30ish tri res boots.

I'm very much looking forward to NM with this pair, I still haven't gotten past NM act 1. I really want to see some more of this mod lol. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Many thanks for the advice!

Offline Profile