Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:43 am

Post subject: IK maul, Fal or ED jewels?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:26 pm 

Just wondering what I sould socket in IK maul. I'm ww barb so I already have an uber amethyst in there to hit the last breakpoint.

I'm just not sure if I should go with + damage or %

It seems to me that since it already has 500% ed, then throwing another 60% from a jewel wouldn't be worth as much as + damge, either from Fal or a physical facet. Another option is for 1 or 2 uber skulls. Not sure if this is a good idea.

I'm also wonering about the best gems for helm and armor. Was thinking Uber rubies for them.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: IK maul, Fal or ED jewels?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:39 pm 

Should be an easy enough comparison to figure out, although exact nuimbers are impossible since you didn't state what skill you're using, or what strength you have. Alternatively, you can just state what SkillED you've got. For now, I'll assume you've got about 1500% SkillED.

IK Maul:
795 Avg Dmg (Critter's site has a typo according to the text files)
3% SkillED per str

1) Fal rune (+8 avg dmg, +30 str (90% SkillED for OgreMaul)).
90% Skill ED will increase your damage by 715
+8 Dmg will increase your damage by 8x16, or 128
Fal rune gets you about 843 dmg

2) 60% ED Jewel (increases OMaul average damage by 72)
Assuming 1500% Skill ED, you get 72x16 = 1152 dmg

3) Phys Facet (assuming they still vary, so 30% ED and 22dmg is average)
30% ED on OMaul increases avg dmg by 36
+22 Dmg makes this +58 Dmg, so 58x16 = 928 Dmg
There's also the claim that facets %ED only affects the Facet +Dmg, but maybe this doesn't apply to weapons.

4) Uber Skulls (12% DeadlyStrike)
This is stupid for me to calculate without knowing what %CriticalStrike and DeadlyStrike is already on your character. This could be very nice, or barely noticed. However, since you've probably got a decent amount of Critical Strike already, then this is probably not worth it.

As for armor/hat gems, Rubies work well against bosses, and Diamonds work well against trash (but frankly so does leach for your barb). If you'd rather max out your damage like a Multizon, then Amythests get you 90% Skill ED each.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:39 pm 

Mustang wrote:
I'm ww barb

I have 186 base str.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm 
Game Server Host

wow, you added 186 stat point to str. Thats more than enough, you can get 400-500 str with around 90-100 base easily, str from items and charms is more then enough. I would focus most of my points into vita on a barb since a dead barb is dealing 0 dps.

without solid points in vita, your lifebuff skills wont be boosting your life as much as they could be. Only hard points into vita and +life items are boosted by lifebuffs. + vitality stats gained from items are not raised by lifebuffs. You are better off using sockets for amethysts and spending the hard points in vita to get twice the bang for your buck.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 pm 

Yeah I know. Plenty of reasons I did this. First off, this is my first character back. I had no charms or gear and I didn't want to get corpse popped. I can always remake him later. Once I get my unique charms and such I'll remake and just pump vit.

As for now, this is what I have to work with. He's pretty much my MF bitch, so I'm not worried about perfect stat placement on him.

I do, however, want to make the most of this IK maul. Don't want to waste any gems when I can just do it right the first time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:24 pm 
Game Server Host

how is your AR? you will need more ias on it to hit the last ww breakpoint. I would personally go with 2 ether stones and 2 ber runes but thats just me. The ar boost will make a big impact on overall dps and you will be well over the last ww break point. That will mean even with decrep on you will be wwing at full speed. 2 ber obviously for the cb, but if you dont have any ber runes then 3 ed/ias jewels and 1 ether stone will be just fine. I wouldn't choose fal runes as ed jewels will improve your damage alot more. For farming bosses, 2 ber and and 2 ethers will maximise killing speed

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:43 pm 

Well, my AR isn't too bad. I've found quite a few max/ar charms.

I thought only one ether stone was needed to hit the last breakpoint, so that's the only thing I have in the maul right now.

I was thinking maybe 2 60% ed jewels and a soul stone. The extra leech seems pretty huge to me.

I do like the extra CB from Ber and I was definitely thinking about doing that. I think the CB would benefit me more than the extra damage does against bosses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:03 pm 
Game Server Host

the 2 ethers is to stop decrep slowing your attack speed below the last bp. since it slows by 33% an extra ether stone keeps you attacking at a good speed. If you are below 20k ar its good to have 2 ethers for the extra ar boost too.

Just-Ice had an ik barb last season with 2 ethers and 2 ber runes and he was very effective against bosses and trash mobs. you should be close to max deadly strike with equip and leech is of liited use in hell. You should have quite abit already from rings and other equip. For damage against trash then ed jewels and a soul skull will be your best bet. For boss killing ber runes and ether stones. It just depends what you want him to kill easier.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:51 pm 

Mustang wrote:
Mustang wrote:
I'm ww barb

I have 186 base str.

y i say blood stones for dhorn...

Offline Profile